Driver1

NON Skydivers doing Tandem Demos?

I seem to recall, but do not remember what it was, some kind of BSR, FAR or some other kind of restriction that would prevent non licensed skydivers from being taken for Tandems in to Demos. Anyone have any insight to whether or not this is in voilation of some kind?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MziRisP1wmA
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

Nothing to see here folks

Not true. For the second time in two days I've seen tandem videos posted where the video guy pops up and films the opening from above.

Am I the only one who remembers this - http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1716520;search_string=tandem%20collision%20jason;#1716520 ?

This video was 'Team Fastrax', who claim to be 'professional' and 'the best', meanwhile their video guys are pulling dumb shit like this on high-profile jumps. If you look at the thread, the incident I'm referring to happened right down the road from Start Skydiving, Fastrax's home DZ.

It was a miracle the student and camera flyer wasn't killed in the '05 incident, do people really expect another miracle? There are so many other ways to film an opening, why do people insist on repeating mistakes that we know can lead to a fatality. It's just fucking dumb.

at least the video person backed up and away

I disagree. I saw very little backing up involved. You can see how steep the angle on the tandem is, and if you pause at 2:38, you can see the top of the canopy as it begins to inflate, and a hard opening or surge would have been trouble. Keep in mind that the problem is not the video guy hitting the canopy, it's the video guy hitting the tandem pair 20 ft down the lines. Even if the canopy is 'out of range' the tandem pair is further down, and will allow for more closing of the horizontal gap during the close of the vertical gap.

The fastrax TI in the video was personal friends with Mr. Crossman, just saying...

All the more reason this is dumb. He has a personal connection to the '05 incident, but it seems that he does not brief his camera flyers not to repeat the actions that killed his friend. How does that honor the memory of your friend, and contribute toward avoiding a repeat incident?

Years ago I worked with Bram Clement for a couple years, and right off the bat he told me all the shit things that camera flyers did to him, and what was not permitted when filming him. I obliged his requests, and adjusted my routines accordingly (I also took some of his advice, and adjusted my routine for all TIs). In terms of 'professionalism', I don't think there are many in Bram's league, and while I might not be up there, I'm good enough to follow his lead.

If you need to waive some regs for a demo, this is correct.
Do NOT confuse the FAA-7711 form as a WAIVER though - it is NOT a waiver for any skydiving activities. It is an authorization for skydiving. It is only used as a waiver for aircraft ops.

If you're just making a tandem into an open field, carry on!
B|

@Matt, you did a fine job!!! B|

Not true. For the second time in two days I've seen tandem videos posted where the video guy pops up and films the opening from above.

Am I the only one who remembers this - http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1716520;search_string=tandem%20collision%20jason;#1716520 ?

This video was 'Team Fastrax', who claim to be 'professional' and 'the best', meanwhile their video guys are pulling dumb shit like this on high-profile jumps. If you look at the thread, the incident I'm referring to happened right down the road from Start Skydiving, Fastrax's home DZ.

It was a miracle the student and camera flyer wasn't killed in the '05 incident, do people really expect another miracle? There are so many other ways to film an opening, why do people insist on repeating mistakes that we know can lead to a fatality. It's just fucking dumb.

That was the first thing I noticed as well.
Matt, care to chime in here? Do you do a lot of tandems where the cameraflyer videos the opening from above? Are you OK with that?

That was the first thing I noticed as well.
Matt, care to chime in here? Do you do a lot of tandems where the cameraflyer videos the opening from above? Are you OK with that?

I am the T-I that exits in front of the Pair in freefall (2nd of 3). But, I have jumped with that Videoagrapher numerous times and do believe he backs away with plenty of room for the opening, I think part of the "Closeness" is his lens set up, but as that is not my specialty I will not "swear" to it. I understand your concerns, and have forwarded this thought to him, to be sure.

If I was wrong in where I made the Jump I will take the heat for it. I am honored to have made the Jump with the Two Vets who Big Kenny brought out that day (My Student and I have a combined 44 Years of Service, the other pair, aside from the Student being a licensed Skydiver and Double Amputee, have over 30 years of combined Service).

To the best of my knowledge we were in compliance and had all the proper permission to do the jump, -1's, USPA BOD etc. But, to be upfront, I did not check over ALL the paper work I did look over some of it and take the word of two people who I respect and have no reason to doubt.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Little old for the target audience?
:P

I'm still trying how to get my Spike Jones 78's to work in my Walkman...anybody can see they are way to big to squish into an iPod! :S

Funny you should mention that. I do a morning radio show in Houston and we honor the Hawaiian culture every Friday with "Hawaiian Shirt Fridays". And of course we have to have a theme song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQOXrMA4K0E (cut into about 1:06 to hear the edit we play)

You'd be amazed how many people write and call to ask where they can get a copy!!
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Little old for the target audience?
:P

I'm still trying how to get my Spike Jones 78's to work in my Walkman...anybody can see they are way to big to squish into an iPod! :S

Funny you should mention that. I do a morning radio show in Houston and we honor the Hawaiian culture every Friday with "Hawaiian Shirt Fridays". And of course we have to have a theme song....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQOXrMA4K0E (cut into about 1:06 to hear the edit we play)

You'd be amazed how many people write and call to ask where they can get a copy!!

Damn dude that is awesome! It is now making the fb and twitter rounds, again.

Matt

As a T-I, my preference is for the Videoagrapher to transition to a back or sit fly and just look up and watch the opening. Then roll over and track a few seconds and open. This puts the Videoagrapher out in front of me, usually, easier for me to find and then avoid or follow to landing. I open at the dictated 5500' AGL in the 19 Commandments, set forth by the Three US Manufacturers.

If they can not do the back or sit fly, I have a second preference of them just backing away at the wave off, once they are no longer able to hold me and the Student in frame during our opening, turn and track so as to fall into the position I stated above.

To those who have said I am setting a bad example, it is Your Opinion, OK, I get it. If the BOD has an Issue or Bill Booth then I will hand over my Ratings, too easy, all Bill or Jay has to do is ask. I do not expect that they will even mention it though.

We have new T-I/E's who can't even do the proper EP's when facing a Malfunction, getting lucky rarely works more than once, We almost read about another double fatality a few weeks ago. Let us focus on this type of "training" and "education"-doing it right and to the proper standard, canopy control is our #1 Killer and yet we still have Newbies who say it is their "right" to risk their limbs, lives and Our sport. I am thinking they aren't such "fast learners" and the "Madd Skillz" aren't there, they are just "mad".

Hey, who put this soap box under me?
Matt

Apart from what's being discussed... Handle checks? I know, has been debated before. I know TI/Es with several thousands of jumps doing handle checks each and every time, so I do stick to it, too. Just so to say...
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Apart from what's being discussed... Handle checks? I know, has been debated before. I know TI/Es with several thousands of jumps doing handle checks each and every time, so I do stick to it, too. Just so to say...

The three US Manufacturers require Handle Checks on each and every Tandem Jump, including Hand Cam.

Students Safety First.

Matt