lilmissamy

Getting Through the Winter

Okay, so for all you people who like me live in places that don't have the luxury of jumping all year round.

I didn't start jumping, and of course fell madly in love with it, until August. So here I am just a handful of jumps away from my A-license and already going crazy about the fact that I have until April until the season starts up again. I'm going to try my hardest to go out to Cali in February to finish up my license at Elsinore where a couple friends work, but still that's a loooong way away. So how do you guys do it? How do you handle all these months of being stuck on the ground without losing your mind?

My mind left a loooong time ago, so it's not that much of a problem. B|

Postwhore on here.
Watch videos (YouTube and my own/my friends).
Mess around with gear.

Oh yeah...

JUMP!!!!!
I have yet to jump in January, but I've jumped in December and February (and all the other months).

There's a couple DZs open year round. I may only do one or two but as long as it's above freezing, I'll go up. Layer up, gloves, a balaclava to keep my neck warm, it's not too bad.

There is someone on here who jumps at Skyknights (East Troy Wi) who had made a jump each and every month for several years.
That may not sound too impressive.. Except he makes his monthly jump naked.
Now that's gotta be cold.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I hear these guys are open all year.

Illinois Valley Parachute Club Airport (81IL)
Lat: 40.4353172
Lng: -89.3592597

Address:
P.O. Box 284
Minier, Illinois 61759
United States

I believe Archway is open all year also, but that's quite a bit further for you.

You need to watch "Cutaway" many times if you haven't already.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

Okay, so for all you people who like me live in places that don't have the luxury of jumping all year round.

I didn't start jumping, and of course fell madly in love with it, until August. So here I am just a handful of jumps away from my A-license and already going crazy about the fact that I have until April until the season starts up again. I'm going to try my hardest to go out to Cali in February to finish up my license at Elsinore where a couple friends work, but still that's a loooong way away. So how do you guys do it? How do you handle all these months of being stuck on the ground without losing your mind?

If you have an up to date log book and a license card filled out with the things that you have done and are still within 30 days of your last jump come on up and we will get you sorted out.

If you have gone uncurrent you will need some re-training and you will have to show us that you understand the gear and emergency procedures at the least. We jump all winter so long as the temp is above 15 degrees.

Let me know if you're interested.

Derrick
Sky Knights SPC / Skydive Milwaukee (East Troy, Wi)
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

above 15 degree. If you done that with me you would only jump one day of the year.

He's in the US. He means Farenheit. Somewhere around -10C.
I won't jump if it's that cold. But I'm a wimp. It has to be above freezing on the ground (32F or 0C) for me to jump.
But it will still be really cold (-20F or -30C) at altitude.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

If you have an up to date log book and a license card filled out with the things that you have done and are still within 30 days of your last jump come on up and we will get you sorted out.

If you have gone uncurrent you will need some re-training and you will have to show us that you understand the gear and emergency procedures at the least. We jump all winter so long as the temp is above 15 degrees.

Let me know if you're interested.

Derrick
Sky Knights SPC / Skydive Milwaukee (East Troy, Wi)

This rocks. I just got my A-License. I don't care how cold it is, I'll come jump all winter. See you there Derrick.

Wind Tunnel!!!!! B|

+1

Well, the OP is near Chicago. The nearest tunnel is over 1000 miles away.

Not really an option, unfortunately. We really need a tunnel in the Upper Midwest.