npgraphicdesign

Well that landing was fun...

...so another skydiver and myself (both doing solos, going right after one another) tumbled like sacks of s*** on landing. Probably caught in the same very wonky winds, irregular gusts, etc. He crabbed then tumbled a few times, and when I came down, about 12-15 feet above the ground, my canopy just came straight down. We landed about 20 feet from each other. The Tri210 I have has a pretty steep glide angle as is, and it was reduced to almost nil that first jump. I don't think my canopy could've collapsed that close to the ground, but I had no time to look it..barely had time to react.

What really freaked me out is that I BARELY had time to react. I pulled my toggles down as fast as I could, and still hit the ground pretty hard, and didn't slow down much. A few people asked us if we were ok when we came in, and we were...but I am so sore right now. My whole body is aching...:|

So has anyone else been suddenly dropped out of the sky? What could you have done differently in the situation?

Landing behind obstacles in wind shadow/turbulence?

<> Why ever would you think that?

Ever see smoke (or leaves) rolling along the ground? or better yet ... water in a stream .... what does it do around pebbles or over gravel... how far behind pebbles does it take the water to run smoothly again?

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Canopy collapses in “wonky winds, irregular gusts, etc.” is why we shouldn’t and many of us don’t jump in those conditions. I had one canopy collapse at 80 feet and fortunately caught some brakes at about ten feet and stood the landing up. On the other hand, I’ve had a couple of low collapses without recovery; one sending me to the hospital.

You have to imagine vertical rotors that may strike your canopy from above, forcing it to the ground. Additionally, turbulence may come from a variety of directions; collapsing your canopy in a variety of ways. If you don’t want to feel the pain resulting from a collapsed canopy close to the ground, the best bet is not to jump in choppy winds.

I'm ready to PLF every landing, until it's obvious at the last minute that it's going to be stand-up-able.

It's supposedly "not confident in my landings" but it works for me.

And yeah, I stand down when the winds are squirrely. I've jumped in those winds in the past and gotten lucky. I'm trying to rely less on luck these days.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I've had a similar experience except that I know exactly what caused it. I made a series of stupid decisions that led to me landing 20 feet behind a row of trees in strong winds. My canopy collapsed when I was about 10 feet off the ground and I was lying on my back before I could do anything. I hobbled back to the hanger before they made me lie down while they called an ambulance for fear that I could have damaged my spine. I got lucky and had no injuries besides a sore back and bruised ego. Since then, I've been a lot more careful about jumping in strong/irregular winds.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

So has anyone else been suddenly dropped out of the sky? What could you have done differently in the situation?

Not jump in marginal conditions?

Amen. That's why I called it after two jumps. And they did have students and some other low number jumpers like myself going up, and said the winds weren't that bad, so I gave it a go.

I told you it was going to hurt tomorrow!!! Sorry to hear your hurting but I figured you would be since I got to watch you fall out of the sky like a sack of potatoes! Imagine how the other guy feels! His fall was worse than yours!! Glad your ok though!!
Wait , I pull what first?

I told you it was going to hurt tomorrow!!! Sorry to hear your hurting but I figured you would be since I got to watch you fall out of the sky like a sack of potatoes! Imagine how the other guy feels! His fall was worse than yours!! Glad your ok though!!

Thanks JRM. It was fun to jump with ya...even though we spent most of the time chasing each other. :P I hope Paul is ok too.

I think I'm going to try to shake it off and go for a run...

Not jump in marginal conditions?

Amen. That's why I called it after two jumps. And they did have students and some other low number jumpers like myself going up, and said the winds weren't that bad, so I gave it a go.

THIS is why we, as skydivers need to learn a much as we can so that we can make intelligent decisions for ourselves instead of relying on others. Personally, I prefer to have my fate in my own hands.

Glad you're OK, my man.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

THIS is why we, as skydivers need to learn a much as we can so that we can make intelligent decisions for ourselves instead of relying on others. Personally, I prefer to have my fate in my own hands.

Glad you're OK, my man.

Thanks Andy. I definitely learned a bit more..both about grounding myself and choppy wind landings. ;)

And to top it all off, I sprained my ankle today while jogging and doing box jumps. This is just not my week! :D

Turbulence can be generated quite a long distance from obstacles. On one of my DZ's you could jump in any winds apart from an easterly, From that direction we had turbulence from the terrain, and it was generally pub time if an easterly was blowing.

I have called jumping off when it was only 5 knots on the ground, to the disgust of a few visiting jumpers who weren't familiar with the conditions, but jumping in easterlies was a no no.

One of my most experienced TI's took the risk one day, and smashed his femur badly enough to ground him permanently, fortunately the rider was unhurt.

Flying in behind another canopy is also asking for trouble.....wake turbulence can collapse your canopy as well.

If the old guys sit it out, its for a reason. Follow their example, and live to jump another day.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

... about 12-15 feet above the ground, my canopy just came straight down.

What really freaked me out is that I BARELY had time to react. I pulled my toggles down as fast as I could, and still hit the ground pretty hard, and didn't slow down much.:|

Did the exact same thing exactly one month ago today. Lsson learned: When it is choppy, the bottom number is as important as the top number. Gusts were only to 21, but some of the lulls were all the way down to 4. Was just about to flare height, and the 20mph breeze just completely went away. Immediately hit the toggles, but it was too late. As you say, dropped the last 8 to 10 feet like a sack of potatoes. My worst landing ever, and my 1st significant injury skydiving in 1600 jumps. Fucked myself over and missed the best month of the deason for sport jumping.

Not much you can do once you are there. However, when I get back in the saddle next spring, though my hard limit will still be 28; I'll also take the difference between the big and little numbers in mind.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley