cocheese

What canopy has the most fatalities?

Actually, you'll probably find the the highest number of fatalities for a canopy is 1 .... not many people gonna jump her after that .....

You and your wise cracks:D:D

A third and very interesting interpretation. I wonder if any canopy has ever had more than 1 fatality? That would sure be an unlucky rig to take ownership of.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

ones that don't open proper.

Actually, you'll probably find the the highest number of fatalities for a canopy is 1 .... not many people gonna jump her after that .....

awww, come on! what could possibly go wrong with a bounce-rig? canopies need some lovin' too! :P

at least as long as the stains are not too bad..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Top 5 w/ number of fatalities per:
Velocity 24
Stiletto 12
Sabre2 11
Katana 7
Spectre 7

The top five killers are all made by Performance Designs!!! Oh my God! Run away!

Just kidding. I'm sure its a reflection of the fact that PD is the big brother of the industry and makes a large percentage of the canopies on the market. Or is it?

Here are my guesses on the top killers from the ten years before your study (1994-2004):

Stiletto = at least 15
Sabre 1and2 = at least 12
PD Vengeance = 4
Jedei = at least 7
Jonathon = 4
Batwing = 5
Velo = 13
Icarus FX/VX = 15
Crossfire 1and2 = 7
Xaos 21and27 = at least 7
Triathalon = 7
Manta = at least a dozen, all students
Nova = definitely more than 3

Add 2 or 3 deaths apiece on the Cobalt, Hurricane, Katana, Samurai, am I forgetting any?

Please note that herewith numbers are pure speculation upon the part of the author not legally binding in any way.

An old jumper I knew, theorised that jumping canopies that someone had bounced on was the safest thing to do, his reasoning that the odds of two people dying under the same canopy were infintesimal.

Of course this was in the days before you could crash and burn under an open canopy.

Is there a breakdown of fatalities under open canopies by type?.

That could be very interesting.....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

An old jumper I knew, theorised that jumping canopies that someone had bounced on was the safest thing to do, his reasoning that the odds of two people dying under the same canopy were infintesimal.

Of course this was in the days before you could crash and burn under an open canopy.

Is there a breakdown of fatalities under open canopies by type?.

That could be very interesting.....

I've been the first to jump a bounced rig...I won't mention his name...it was a no pull due to being knocked unconscious in freefall...I was his friend and his best friend selling the rig wanted it jumped at least once before selling it.

That Stiletto 150 opened sweet and flew nice...I had a little conversation with my friend who had died in the rig...it was a good feeling...all things considered.

hangdiver

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

Hi,

I was just curious to know it this data changes much if you subtract out collisions?

The reason I ask is because I would not have thought there is a correlation between canopy type and collisions versus mal's and landing accidents.

It would be really neat if we could normalize your data for each canopy with units sold but I suspect that data would be hard to get.

Thanks for going to the trouble of pulling this together . I t is interesting stuff.

Hi,

I was just curious to know it this data changes much if you subtract out collisions?

The reason I ask is because I would not have thought there is a correlation between canopy type and collisions versus mal's and landing accidents.

It would be really neat if we could normalize your data for each canopy with units sold but I suspect that data would be hard to get.

Thanks for going to the trouble of pulling this together . I t is interesting stuff.

One problem with skydiving statistics is that there are so few data points (thankfully).

I personally think you will find a correlation between collisions and landing accidents. If you think about it a canopy that is doing 40-60MPh requires much more attention to closing and traffic than one doing 10MPh. Everything is happening faster, so it is harder to process the visuals.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Hi,

Nope, not really. Vengeance moves up the list to 7th place, but the first six stay in the same order.

Velo 18
Stiletto 10
Sabre2 10
Katana 7
Spectre 6
Crossfire2 5
Vengeance 4
Pilot 4

And since it made me curious after I did this, if you just look at collisions/wraps the Velocity is still at the top with 6. After that are a bunch of canopies with 2 each and a bunch with 1 each.

Again, this is only based on canopy info for about a third of the incidents.

From the data I have, Velocity seems to be the clear winner. But there are 2/3 of the incidents where I don't have canopy type and this is only for the last seven or so years and some of it is just what people posted in the forums, so maybe not reliable, etc. etc.

I filtered out any fatality that wasn't related to a malfunction/entanglement, collision/wrap, or landing problem.

Top 5 w/ number of fatalities per:
Velocity 24
Stiletto 12
Sabre2 11
Katana 7
Spectre 7

See PDF for full list.

If "60 Minutes" or Fox News ever got a hold of that chart there would be a mainstream campaign to ban students from using those deadly Navigators.
It's all been said before, no sense repeating it here.

What is the point of this question other than to debate random interpretations of statistics. The real question is how we generate better more aware canopy pilots. Any canopy can kill if flown at the ground as we know; but its human behaviours that gets those people there. We need to generate a hunger to learn through working with others and learning from experience not simply stumbling in the dark while pretending we know the way driven by our ego's.
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

As one of those that don't know what I don't know I do not have a whole lot to say about the topic. Yet one thing to consider is the economic impact of improved safety standards and training.

I am sure that a good majority of people will make the decision on whether to sky dive or not regardless of safety. Yet there will be still a few that might be dissuaded from getting involved based on (unknown to them) avoidable accidents.

Are those particular people a sizeable portion?

In any regard I believe that from a strictly business sense, putting forth a safe(r) image would obviously reap benefits.

Are those benefits important to the industry? I suppose that is up to yall.