aerialcameraman

cessna 210

does any DZ use a cessna 210 as a jump plane. If so can you give me some info about it.

No expert but I did several of my SL progression freefalls from a C210. It was quite a long time ago but I recall it to be spacious and quite fast to altitude. The one we used had retractable landing gear, which made for tricky exits for a beginner.B|

I also made a bunch of jumps from one in the early 70's
9696Tango.....;)

no step. retractable gear...
the pilot would bring the gear out for exit... stand on the right brake, and the Tire :o:S was the "step"...
on my # 3 static line,,, the JM and the pilot decided to get cute with me,, and he let off the brake... the tire rolled, I was left hanging from the strut, with my ass bumping against the wheel....

i stayed cool,,, did a chin up. reached back with my left foot and got back on the tire...
I look in to the Jm and He and the pilot are both laughing like crazy.... (jerks>:( )
anyway the exit went fine, but I was waaay long on the spot...
Nice plane though...
we were jumping at a small airport which had a flying club and the c210 belonged to the club...
( the chief Flight Instructor was our pilot )

jmy

Agreed!
Cessna's 205 and 206 are directly derived from 210, lacking only the retractable gear.
Mind you, there have been so many different versions of 210s that some of them even lack wing struts.

I have only jumped from a Cessna 210 in California City. It had wing struts and the gear was locked down, so the exit was pretty much the same as a 182, 205 or P206. The only disadvantage was the massive hump in the cabin floor to accommodate the retractable gear. That must have weighed a few hundred pounds and restricted it to five jumpers.

Note: most Cessna 206s routinely carry 6 skydivers.

Fuel bladders have been a problem on a variety of Cessnas over a variety of years.

Three issues: first - incorrect installation. No wonder considering the small holes and complex installation procedures.

Two - wrinkles in rubber fuel bladders can trap water or unusable fuel.

Three - rubber gets old and wears out.

For detailed explanations of technical fixes, contact the Cessna Pilots' Association.

In conclusion, properly installed fuel bladders should last twenty or thirty years.
Skydivers should be more concerned about glancing at fuel guages - before take-off - to ensure that there is some fuel on board.

In response to your second question: 210s may sell for less than 206s, but 210s require more maintenance on more systems: turbocharger, retractable gear, de-icer boots, pressurization, weather radar, IFR instrument panels, etc.

To bump this thread...

does any DZ use a cessna 210 as a jump plane. If so can you give me some info about it.

I am interested in this plane too, model Centurion II (no wing strut).
So if anyone has any experience jumping from a non-strutted cessna 210 or DZO having it as a jump/tandem plane (custom steps, handles, door setup etc...) I would be very glad to hear it. If you have some photos of it to upload, that would be even more great. Thanks
dudeist skydiver #42

If you are talking using it a few times to jump no problem. You do not want to use a turbo charged aircraft as a jump plane. It will eat your lunch in maintanence cost. If you operate the engine in a manner that it should be it will eat your lunch in fuel and flight time. You can't just chop the power on jump run and dive to the ground after the jumpers are out. You will shock cool the engine and crack the cylinders.
Very soon, an honest person will not be able to sing the last 2 lines of our National Anthem:::Practice safe dining....use condiments

To bump this thread...

So if anyone has any experience jumping from a non-strutted cessna 210 or DZO having it as a jump/tandem plane (custom steps, handles, door setup etc...) I would be very glad to hear it. If you have some photos of it to upload, that would be even more great. Thanks

This is what we jump out of at our DZ.

The only thing they've done is remove the door. There are two seats in the back, one in the middle, and one for the pilot. It can take 4 jumpers.

If you are talking using it a few times to jump no problem. You do not want to use a turbo charged aircraft as a jump plane. It will eat your lunch in maintanence cost. If you operate the engine in a manner that it should be it will eat your lunch in fuel and flight time. You can't just chop the power on jump run and dive to the ground after the jumpers are out. You will shock cool the engine and crack the cylinders.

thanx, we are considering our options right now so I appreciate every info.

To bump this thread...

This is what we jump out of at our DZ.

The only thing they've done is remove the door. There are two seats in the back, one in the middle, and one for the pilot. It can take 4 jumpers.

How does the tandem and videographer exit look like? any photos of the plane and/or jumpers?
dudeist skydiver #42

I jumped one a few times that Terry Sorsby ran out of Pueblo Colorado years ago. Climbed slow, retractable gear, more complex to operate and expensive to maintain than a 182, 205 or 206,, no step, etc. Not the ideal choice...

the Cessna 210 that Terry and I operated many years ago out of the Fowler airport had plus and minuses. We modified the door with a jump door. Students would step out on the gear and hang on to the strut and release for the jump. On one jump (which I was on as a student jumper) the right gear failed to come down and lock. The jumpmaster gave all us students a quick lesson in rolling out of the plane. After the students left, the jump master got out on the wing strut and jumped up and down on the gear to lock it in place. He hoped. Then he jumped and left the poor pilot to test the results. The pilot said it was the best landing of his life. He slicked it in, the gear held.