guineapiggie101

is this bad????

That I am starting to enjoy doing tandems more than jumping solo? I did a 5-way tandem with my friends yesterday at sunset and it was one of the best jumps I have ever gone on? I had a great time and was NOT nervous the whole way up.

I am still leaving open the option of coming back to finish my licensing, but since it will be quite a while before I can solo again, I am doing tandems.

Sometimes I feel like I am letting myself down because I like tandems a lot, esp since I overcame so many obstacles to get through AFF and then I had an accident that took me out of the running.

Sometimes I feel like I am letting myself down because I like tandems a lot, esp since I overcame so many obstacles to get through AFF and then I had an accident that took me out of the running.

How can you be "letting yourself down?"
You're having a great time, you're part of the DZ culture, you know you're not going to be hurt, there is no pressure to perform, people want to jump with you as a tandem, youv'e got tandem instructors wanting to take you, you finish the jump safely, with a big smile and you giggle every time you talk about the jump.
The TI's enjoy the jump too, because they're dealing with someone experienced at both ends of the spectrum, and the jump is somewhat out of the norm for them (5 way RW is really fun for them, too!)

How on earth can that be a let down? It's great to see you bouncy after a tandem jump!!

Skydiving is an elective not a required course, the bottom line basic goal is to have fun and enjoy yourself...any way you choose to do that is the right way.

You're not letting yourself or anyone else down when you are enjoying tandem Skydiving.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

How can you be "letting yourself down?"
You're having a great time, you're part of the DZ culture, you know you're not going to be hurt it's a lot less likely that you will get hurt on landing, there is no pressure to perform, people want to jump with you as a tandem, youv'e got tandem instructors wanting to take you, you finish the jump safely, with a big smile and you giggle every time you talk about the jump.
The TI's enjoy the jump too, because they're dealing with someone experienced at both ends of the spectrum, and the jump is somewhat out of the norm for them (5 way RW is really fun for them, too!)

How on earth can that be a let down? It's great to see you bouncy after a tandem jump!!

FIFY.

Other than that I fully agree.

GP101, you are having fun and so is everyone around you.

Isn't that the whole point?

That doesn't fit any definintion of "Bad" that I've ever heard.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Skydiving is an elective not a required course, the bottom line basic goal is to have fun and enjoy yourself...any way you choose to do that is the right way.

You're not letting yourself or anyone else down when you are enjoying tandem Skydiving.

+ a bunch :)
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

That I am starting to enjoy doing tandems more than jumping solo?

NO.

For 15 years, I've been pushing the notion of accommodating EVERYONE who wants to jump out of a perfectly good airplane -- not just those who can or want to take the plunge and get licenses and buy gear.

Tens of thousands of people enjoy skiing and scuba diving without buying gear or becoming "proficient" at it. They are perfectly content to use rental gear and enjoy those sports under supervision.

The fact that parachuting has a Moonie mentality is one of the things that most hurts its growth -- and by Moonie mentality I mean we as a sport demand that prospective jumpers either do one jump and get the hell off the drop zone, or drop everything they're doing, give up all their discretionary time and income and first-born child and become a "skydiver."

What you are doing is in fact cutting edge and something that perhaps will give parachute center operators a little bump off bottom dead center and start thinking about how to provide their services to people who love skydiving but have neither the time, inclination or disposition to do so either on their own or on a stay-current" basis.

You in fact are doing what one static line student said to me years and years ago after landing on his first jump:

"Skydiving is a happening thing to do. I'd like to do this four or five times a year."

Doing it the way you're doing it allows you to do just that -- and to enjoy it more than you did when you were on your own.

And if DZ owners would bother to do the math... imagine how many tandem jumps you could buy with the $$$ you save by not buying gear? And how many more people this sort of practice would open up the sport to?

So keep on keepin' on, guineapiggie 101 You're blazing a new trail and maybe it will help this sport that you love so much.

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

The fact that parachuting has a Moonie mentality is one of the things that most hurts its growth -- and by Moonie mentality I mean we as a sport demand that prospective jumpers either do one jump and get the hell off the drop zone, or drop everything they're doing, give up all their discretionary time and income and first-born child and become a "skydiver."

As a new jumper (unlicensed, 24 jumps) who loves the jumping but is less interested in the DZ culture, your statement above perfectly sums up my personal experience with skydiving as a sport.

Robin,

That is one of the best, most informative, in a very new slant posts, ever.

You are correct, when you say that most people who make a skydive will never become proficient. Many more people would do this occasionally, if doing this once in awhile was accepted without the expectation that it was leading anywhere other than the enjoyment of the tandem jump.

If people want to do a tandem jump once in awhile (say a dozen jumps a year), and never do a different kind of jump, then they should be encouraged, not shunned as "skydiver wannabees". This makes excellent business sense.

The biggest problem I see is that skydivers are inherently obnoxious ( I know I'm going to catch a ration here). We understandably, have an inflated sense of ourselves. :P

Are there stats that show that "tandem mills" run more repeat tandem-only jumpers vs DZs that cater to up-jumpers?

Just speculating,

lisa

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

"Skydiving is a happening thing to do. I'd like to do this four or five times a year."

I, too, have wanted to have a student program that can handle the "occasional" jumper. Our DZ has a rack full of great rental gear, so we can easily accommodate the experienced ( D-licensed) jumper who wants to sell his gear but still jump a few times a year. Seems we could establish an inexpensive review class for the newbie that wants to do that too. I would never expect them to progress in the sport, but they could certainly enjoy themselves safely.

Last weekend, I took someone on their AFF level 1. It was his 9th jump. Every year he treated himself to a Tandem for his birthday. This year, it dawned on him that he'd like to jump by himself.

It was a great level 1. He was easy to work with and he had extremely good recollection of the dive. Since he'd already been in the air 8 times, his nervousness was there but he handled it better than average.

I don't care if a person jumps. That's entirely up to them. If they choose tandems, that's just fine.

I have a friend who was a skydiver. She was injured a couple times and quit skydiving. She still jumps now and then with her husband and is a kick ass belly flier in the wind tunnel.

This isn't a therapy forum so you don't need our approval ;) ... but if tandems are your thing, go for it. When/if you decide to jump on your own, it will be a lot easier for you. Have fun while you can.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Thanks everybody for replying.

Yeah, today I went and did another tandem:$.

When I say I feel like I am "letting myself down", what I am referring to is the struggle I had to deal with to get through AFF.

I had to do 24 jumps just TO get off AFF, along with almost 2 hours of tunnel. Repeated level 3 ten times, struggled, and kept on going, only to be brought down on my 2nd solo.

It seems for all the effort (time, effort, and money) I put into go after my license, now to just settle with doing tandems, I feel like I am letting myself down and people might think bad of me. Most times, when people put in effort and preserverence, reaching the end goal is the ultimate satisfaction.

I DO enjoy doing tandems (didn't think I would, esp after being able to jump on my own), but tandems take the anxiety out of the equation for me.

I also did my first 5 way jump yesterday with my friends and that was a blast. Can't wait to do that again :)

I still have NOT given up on getting back on the horse (and finishing my license), but for now tandems are da bomb.

It seems for all the effort (time, effort, and money) I put into go after my license, now to just settle with doing tandems, I feel like I am letting myself down and people might think bad of me. Most times, when people put in effort and preserverence, reaching the end goal is the ultimate satisfaction.

Firstly the language you use with yourself is doing you no favours.
You are NOT settling with tandems you are chosing to use tandems as an interim measure, to help keep your head in the game and you bum on the DZ.
Should you choose to continue with your solo skydiving, the tandems you are doing now will asist you in that.

As to other peoples opinions on the matter. FUCK EM, it's your life your money your time, enjoy it YOUR way.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

How about looking at it as an accomplishment rather than a let-down.

How many people get through AFF?
How many ever do more than just one tandem?
How many ever jump at all?

It is so tempting to want to encourage those who want to try, that sometimes I forget that there are people who really shouldn't be jumping.

Remember, when (and it's a when, not an if) something goes wrong, you will have to react appropriately and quickly to make it through the emergency.

You have commented about anxieties and panicking. If you aren't fairly confident in your abilities to react properly and in a timely fashion, then maybe you shouldn't do solo jumps.

And I really have to remember that that decision is one that should be made between you and your instructors. Period.

And if you are having fun, then keep doing tandems. Sure, some folks will look down their nose at you for it, but they are the same folks who look down their nose at those jumping larger canopies, belly flying, not being "cool".

Screw 'em. The only thing that will matter to most is the fact that you love the sky.
And if your limitations mean that tandem is the best choice for you and you are smart enough to know and do that, then the one who matter will applaud you all the more for making the right decision.

Here is someone who did a whole lot of tandems. From the video, I don't think anyone on the DZ thought less of her for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTRGtqqDgRs&feature=related
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I guess I am being hard on myself.

I really do enjoy doing tandems in the interim.

This morning one of my friends who came on my 5-way with me, emailed the video he shot (with a GoPro) and it was amazing. I really had a good time with that jump.

Hey GP, 30 some years ago I use to jump at a small Cessna club in the mid-west. They were for the most part a group of hard-core style & accuracy jumpers... but there was one old guy in his 70's that came out every weekend and did a static-line jump or two.

Ole Jake had problems with his arms and just wasn't comfortable in free-fall, so...he bought a rig had it customized for his needs and found a way to enjoy the sport and the people in it.

That was back when ya didn't SEE a whole lot of 70s year old jumping, (still doing it at 40 was special) the guy would put his jumbo P.C. in the peas every jump...he would pack up his rig, ask one of the prospective jump-masters to put him out and he would again visit the sky on HIS terms...

No one ever thought less of the guy and in fact it opened the eyes of some of us regarding the draw this sport has, and I for one applaud anyone with the love and motivation to do it on their terms...people that answer the 'Skies Call'.

If you like doing tandems, for whatever reason...no 'true' Skydiver thinks less of you or looks down their nose, they understand.

Heck I'm even proud of you for doing it! B|

Edited to add: Ole Jake had over 500 static-line jumps when I moved away from the area and lost touch, who knows how many he had when he finally got 'too old'! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thanks everybody for replying.

Yeah, today I went and did another tandem:$.

When I say I feel like I am "letting myself down", what I am referring to is the struggle I had to deal with to get through AFF.

I had to do 24 jumps just TO get off AFF, along with almost 2 hours of tunnel. Repeated level 3 ten times, struggled, and kept on going, only to be brought down on my 2nd solo.

I DO enjoy doing tandems (didn't think I would, esp after being able to jump on my own), but tandems take the anxiety out of the equation for me.

I also did my first 5 way jump yesterday with my friends and that was a blast. Can't wait to do that again :)

I still have NOT given up on getting back on the horse (and finishing my license), but for now tandems are da bomb.

Another thought, GP....
With the tandem, you get to experience flying 5 way RW with others. As a student, you're quite a long ways from experiencing this...so you're getting to share your air-joy with your friends right now; instant gratification. We've talked about how you want whatever you want NOW!!:P Well..., tandems are providing you that opportunity. No stress, no mess, and you're having fun.
Soloing isn't for everyone. There are a number of "professional tandem skydivers" and even a competitor out there...

DSE, that's interesting. Never knew there were "professional tandem skydivers". That's cool.:)
I hope to do another formation jump with my friends before the end of the year. This time I will plan it out better and maybe even make it a bit bigger.

That was soooo cool, and the video my friend made, almost brought tears to my eyes.

So many of these replies are exactly what I was thinking. Granted, I'm still new to the sport myself, but I applaud your decision. If you are that anxious and uncomfortable, you are doing the right and SAFE thing. EVERYONE appreciates that fact because more safe for you generally means more safe for all.

Think of it like driving a car. I fully appreciate someone who can rise above other people's issues and take the passenger seat instead of being on the road causing accidents-regardless of whether they are injuring themselves or others.

If you feel more comfortable at a later time, then try solo again. If not, keep having fun with tandems! :)

7-Way Hybrid at night? F*$k Yeah!

I guess I am being hard on myself.

I really do enjoy doing tandems in the interim.

This morning one of my friends who came on my 5-way with me, emailed the video he shot (with a GoPro) and it was amazing. I really had a good time with that jump.

From what I'm reading, it seems like a part of you want to do tandem and just have fun of it while another part of yourself wants to finish off the license ("and conquer the old demon").

If you push your psyche too much with guilt pressure and anxiety, it will just end up in an unenjoyable burnout.

At the same time, I can see that you put a lot of effort in finishing AFF, getting where you are at right now and you would at least like to have some sort of "conclusion" to the effort (aka the license).

Personally speaking, I would go for tandems until there is enough spark/passion to finish off the license. Without the spark, its just a lot less enjoyable/mentally tougher.

Have fun and enjoy the moments rather than worrying about "what I'm supposed to be doing".

just my 2 cents.

I am curious... How did the tunnel time go for you? Were you as nervous in there? I would say keep flying in the tunnel as well (with coaching); even if you never decide to go back to solo out of a plane, it can be a LOT of fun and you can learn to be an amazing flyer.

I had tunnel time last night. :-) Working on belly/ 4-way RW right now.
7-Way Hybrid at night? F*$k Yeah!