catfishhunter

Letter from the Head of the FAA (May Parachutist)

Because that risk can affect every skydiver. If we ignore known risks, and people keep dying, then we are not doing our jobs.

Have you ever taken responsibility for the lives and safety of others?.

I'd like an honest answer to that question please...

I'll agree that we are not doing our jobs if someone is not fully aware of the risks they are taking, but if they choose to accept them and deal with the consquences, that's their own decision.

Direct responsibility of another non altered state adult? No, nor should anybody. We should try to educate them and if we don't agree with what they're doing/not doing, try and stop them, but it's ultimately their decision and they have to deal with the consequences.

You can't save people from themselves, only can minimize their effect on others. See my sig.;)

The history of skydiving has many examples of high risk or dangerous behaviour being banned. The evolution of equipment, training and better practise has seen a consistent decrease in risk, and a huge improvement in safety.

I can thing of two: low pulls and the old batwing wingsuits (Gypsy Moths). Have there been others?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

>>Have you ever taken responsibility for the lives and safety of others?.

>Direct responsibility of another non altered state adult? No, nor should anybody.

Pilots and instructors do every day. Once you do take on that sort of responsibility you look at things a little differently, even afterwards when you are no longer directly responsible for them.

However, not everyone can or should take on such responsibilities, because they are very big ones - and the lesson that they're not capable of such a level of responsibility can be a hard one indeed.

I can thing of two: low pulls and the old batwing wingsuits (Gypsy Moths). Have there been others?

Pulling low, jumping drunk or high, not using accepted standards for instruction, using seat belts, making sure tandem students have their harness on as designed...thats just off the top of my head.

Gear~
...mods to the green start express, acid mesh, blast handles...lots of those too.

When far fewer people die than the current situation the sport has stepped up and made the changes...I'm have NO idea a$ to why the unwillingne$$ to focu$ on the problem and fix it. :S

Direct responsibility of another non altered state adult? No, nor should anybody.

Ever get a speeding ticket? Buy any soda with Cyclamates lately? There are people you don't even KNOW taking action for YOUR safely everyday!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Direct responsibility of another non altered state adult? No, nor should anybody. We should try to educate them and if we don't agree with what they're doing/not doing, try and stop them, but it's ultimately their decision and they have to deal with the consequences.

You can't save people from themselves, only can minimize their effect on others. See my sig.;)

That's it. I'm tired of this 'free country'-bullshit over and over again.

You have no 'right' to kill yourself in a way that puts our sport in a bad daylight. If you insist on trying, someone will have to protect you from yourself.
End of story.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/crime-scene/post/faa-head-randy-babbitt-charged-with-drunk-driving-in-fairfax/2011/12/05/gIQAkNjdWO_blog.html?hpid=z2

The head of the Federal Aviation Administration is on administrative leave after being charged with drunk driving Saturday night by Fairfax City police, according to the Department of Transportation.

The head of the Federal Aviation Administration is on administrative leave after being charged with drunk driving Saturday night by Fairfax City police, according to the Department of Transportation.

At least he wasn't flying. That would have been a little 'awkward'.

At least he wasn't flying. That would have been a little 'awkward'.

Yeah, but there are very few pedestrians, guard rails or red lights (to run).

Also, kind of a pain in the ass to pull over and park the plane while in flight.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message