Chaw714

Cypres 6 week wait time?!?

For anyone still following this thread, below this paragraph is the response I got back from Cypres. And I am very appreciative and impressed not only with their timely response, but also with what feels like a fairly honest appraisal of their situation (as they see it). I still believe with stronger competition they would find a way to reduce these wait times a little.

Hi Jim,

The long wait times you are hearing about is primarily orders for new CYPRES units. Plus, the equipment that is used to produce new units is also the equipment used for 4 or 8 year maintenance. So maintenance is taking longer than usual in some cases, not usually longer than 4-6 weeks. Many times, we complete maintenance within 2-3 weeks after receiving a CYPRES here at SSK.

What happens around spring/early summer is that skydivers take their rigs to their rigger, who discovers that maintenance is due or past due. So, even though there is a 13 month window when maintenance could/should be done, everyone waits until about the same time of the year to get the ball rolling...which is the main reason for the longer wait time.

The demand for new units is also much higher starting in April or May, so currently delivery time is 10-12 weeks for a new CYPRES 2. I am very sorry about that. Speaking from SSK's point of view, because no one wants to keep a lot of CYPRES units in stock, so the DOM is as new as possible, it is hard to know when and how many to order. Next year, I think we will have to arrange some stock for our shelves, even if they are a little older than we would like.

I asked Helmut Cloth, the inventor of the CYPRES for some information about CYPRES and why we feel that there is no comparison to other AADs on the market.

Here is some of the reasons he wanted me to tell you why a CYPRES is a better choice:

-for the next person wanting a V.- make him aware what a V user has to accept to skydive safely:

- that the V. manual on page 12 requires its user to realize the ambient air pressure at the moment of switch on, then check that pressure in distances over the jumping day and when a difference of 10 is reached to switch his V. off and on again.

- that the V. manual on page 12 requires its user to achieve that no one opens the door of the plane between approx 40 meters to approx 600 meters on the way up, because opening of the door can make his V. fire.

- that the V. manual on page 21 requires him to either switch his V. off or to not slam the door of his car, when he leaves for home because slaming the door can make his V. fire

None of all the above is relevant to a Cypres.

And that a V. has a guarantee of 2 years (page 14) and a life expectancy of 20 years (page 33). While a Cypres has a guaranteed life time of 12,5 years.

If you are interested in ordering a new CYPRES unit, please contact me and I will see if there is a way that I can shorten the waiting time a little for you. Also, I occasionally have a used CYPRES to sell, so maybe that would be a possibility for you...?

Thanks,
Karen
------------------------------
Karen Dean
SSK Industries, Inc.
1008 Monroe Rd.
Lebanon, OH 45036
Email: [email protected]
Web Sites: www.sskinc.com

ok called ssk they dont have anything from the rigger i sent it to and havent since feb...and i sent it in may...should i be mad now goin on 7 weeks

It sounds like the rigger you sent it to has droped the ball. Check and see if he shipped it and if so does he have a tracking number.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

ok called ssk they dont have anything from the rigger i sent it to and havent since feb...and i sent it in may...should i be mad now goin on 7 weeks

It sounds like the rigger you sent it to has droped the ball. Check and see if he shipped it and if so does he have a tracking number.

Sparky

Oh hell yes you get to be mad now. I'd probably change riggers over something like that if he/she has not sent it off yet. That's just me.

I have troubel understanding the timeline here, but it seems that it is not SSK/Airtec's responsability...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I dont know whos responsibility it is...i dont wanna be the a**hole customer calling everyday asking where it is if it is ssk/airtecs mess but if its the riggers then wtf,,,i just dont really know how to handle this situation so i wanted other skydivers advice this is my first rig i paid in full and i havent gotten it yet and its been 8 weeks now when it was suppose to be 2-3...so who should i be mad at or who should i call to get my rig or money back? and again to everyone on the thread thanks for the advise up to this point

I guess call your rigger and call SSK and see what they say about dates shipped, received, etc. Then you'll have a better idea about where the delays are taking place.

I hope you recorded the serial number (or have access to a packing card that lists it) so you can identify your unit instead of just asking SSK whether they got anything in the last months from your rigger. SSK naturally wouldn't need to release any info to you about units and shipments that don't belong to you.

One can also sign up for online tracking of one's Cypres with SSK, so one doesn't have to keep phoning SSK for news. But I'm not sure how that would apply in your case, or be set up if you weren't the one sending the unit in.

What most people should do is, once the reserve is due inspection, remove the CYPRES and send it in yourself. Then you can pay for it, trace it, etc and when it comes back, then give to your rigger for the inspection in repack. I guess some people are intimidated by popping the reserve and removing the CYPRES but its not that big of a deal.