SWhiplash

Forget Down Sizing - I'm ready to UP SIZE!

I know the vast majority of people in our sport are in their 20's and want to jump the fastest canopies they can handle as soon as sanely possible. But what about jumpers with a bit of age on their side? I fall into the POPS category now and could benefit from nice consistent landings....even at Mile High elevations! What are my options? I'm 170 on the scale...probably about 190 +/- with my gear out the door. Let's talk about a good main canopy to consider. Make/Model and size.
Many thanks from Colorado...but with Lost Prairie Always on My Mind...

I am 54. After a 11 year break I started jumping again in 2007. After trying out various canopies I settled on a Pulse 170. Nice light toggles on a fun flying wing has been the perfect combo for me. It is also a dream to pack. I am about 190lb in the skin. My elder brother has also just converted over to a Pulse 190 and is very pleased with his choice. Makes for hassel free skydiving.

What are you jumping now?

I'm a big Spectre fan for old farts like me. Loaded at about 1.0-1.1, with Dacron lines (cuz old backs and necks really appreciate the softer openings - and so you can do casual CRW).

Ask some of the old farts at LP what mains they jump and why. Betcha most of them jump Spectres.

A Pulse 190 would fit in your container if it's holding a Sabre1 170 in it now. I recently upsize from a Pilot 140 to a Pulse 170 after my Moab boogie almost killing myself experience last year Light and variable winds @ 7500 density altitude.:S

Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

When I got back into the sport I tried both the Pulse and Storm, and bought the Storm, but loved them both and would have been happy with either. Even if I was 20 YO today, I would probably have the same mindset about wanting to fly a lightly loaded canopy. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I know the vast majority of people in our sport are in their 20's

Not so....

In 2010 (most current data I can find), USPA membership:

Age Percent of members
16-30 24%
>= 40 47%

http://www.uspa.org/Portals/0/MembershipSurveys/memsurvey10.pdf

I love my big, slow, docile Spectre 210.

"Docile" = It behaves well when I do not.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Another vote for the Pulse. As already mentioned, it has nice advantages in that you can potentially upsize without having to buy a bigger container (though if you're upsizing your main, you'll probably also want to look at upsizing your reserve ... and you might be able to get a bigger Optimum into your current container*).

The Pulse's openings are pretty consistent, they're soft but not snively, and are generally on-heading. Even brand-new it practically packs itself (now wouldn't that be great for us old folks!).

*No, I don't work for PD, nor am I sponsored, I just like their products.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I am also upsizing, fron a Sabre 2 135 to a Nitron 150. After breaking my back this year I figure if I want to jump for many years to come it will be best if I give up tandems and slow down my landings.

And what a beautiful canopy it is.;)
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity