popsjumper

Anatomy of a Baglock

Sorry for my "casual" use of words there, it was a lazy post, i'm spanking my brain right now.

I've had the practice vest on every day at the DZ and get everything right, i phrased it all wrong in my post.

What i meant to get at is i was wondering if a horseshoe can develope into a bag lock from what my instructor told me to do in my EP's?

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

A bag lock plays on my mind all the time for some reason and i've been told to throw my throw away if it happens.

I've been told that this most likely wont deploy the chute. Is this practice just to get more drag for a more successful cut-away? Also what are the chances of the parachute coming out the bag when you do throw out your PC?

Andy

I think you're referring to a horseshoe mal.

You'd throw your PC so that the main doesn't hang up when/if you have to cutaway.

They type of horseshoe he is reffering to I believe is the out of sequence deployment.

Pilot chute in tow procedures might go something like this...

Pilot chute in tow: (a Pilot Chute hesitation might be occurring)

•Upon throwing your pilot chute, start counting:
One Thousand, Two Thousand, Three Thousand – “Shouldn’t I be feeling something by now?
•In the event you are experiencing a pilot chute hesitation, look over your left shoulder to assess the situation. This will spill air across your back and disrupt your burble. Train yourself to look over your left shoulder because it keeps your altimeter and reserve deployment handle in your view. If the pilot chute is trailing behind you, this is a pilot chute in tow.

The USPA SIM 2005 states: For a pilot-chute-in-tow malfunction, there are currently two common and acceptable procedures, both of which have pros and cons. An instructor should be consulted prior to gearing up, and each skydiver should have a pre-determined course of action.

Pilot chute in tow procedure 1: (my personal pre-determined course of action as per PIA)
Deploy the reserve immediately. A pilot chute- in-tow malfunction is associated with a high descent rate and requires immediate action. The chance of a main-reserve entanglement is slim, and valuable time and altitude could be lost by initiating a cutaway prior to deploying the reserve. Be prepared to cut away.

Pilot chute in tow procedure 2: Cut away, then immediately deploy the reserve. Because there is a chance the main parachute could deploy during or as a result of the reserve activation, a cutaway might be the best response in some situations.

The Horshoe could be explained like this:

Horseshoe Malfunction High speed partial malfunction.
The definition of a Horseshoe malfunction is that your container is open and the parachute is connected to your body somewhere other than the risers.
2.1a) Out of Sequence Deployment: (Throw Hackey, if necessary-cut away, deploy reserve)
A Normal Deployment sequence is:
Step 1) Throw your pilot chute.
Step 2) Container opens and parachute comes out.
Step 3) Parachute opens and inflates.
In an Out of Sequence situation the container has opened but pilot chute is still in the pouch – essentially, Step 2 has happened (container is open) but Step 1 has not.
•Attempt to locate and deploy your pilot chute. The main container tray is open and the parachute is potentially out so the bottom flap (where the BOC hackey handle is located) may not be where it normally is. Place your right palm on the back of your thigh and feel your way up your leg to the bottom of the container in an attempt to locate the hackey handle.
•Maintain an arched body position and keep your hand facing palm skyward to prevent a potential entanglement with the pilot chute bridal.
•Remember, this is a high speed situation, you are losing altitude fast.
The USPA SIM 2005 states: Premature container opening in freefall (hand deployment only):
•Attempt to locate and deploy the pilot chute first (no more than two attempts or two seconds, whichever comes first).
•If the pilot chute can’t be located after two tries or if deploying the pilot chute results in a partial malfunction, cut away and deploy the reserve.

Pilot chute bridle wrapped around arm/leg, the parachute is out:
This is a preventable situation by maintaining good body position and keeping your palm skyward during the deployment of a throw-out pilot chute BOC system.
•Two attempts to clear the entanglement by presenting the extremity with the bridle caught on it skyward, away from your body and into the wind.
•If you cannot clear the pilot chute, now you have to look over your shoulder to find out if the pin has been extracted or not to determine the type of malfunction you have. Total or Horseshoe (partial)?
•Remember, this is a high speed situation, you are losing altitude fast.
•If your pin has been extracted and the container is open you have a partial (Horseshoe) malfunction, Initiate emergency procedures for a partial malfunction, cutaway (making sure the 3 rings have released thus clearing a path for reserve deployment) and deploy your reserve.
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

<>

Don't sweat it, sounds like it was just a terminology thing. So long as you DO understand the difference between the two, and how to handle them.

<>

Well, horeshoes don't always involve a canopy stuck in the bag... but usually as far as I know.

Anyway, yes, more often then no. Picture your bag leaves the container, but the pilot chute hasn't left the BOC, there's your typical horseshoe. So between the time that happens and you pitching your pilot chute, it is not in a static configuration by any means. lol. It spins and twists. Basically you can expect the lines and the bridle to twist on eachother, for line to tangle around the locking stowes, or around the bag itself. So when you do pitch the pilot chute, it's won't be putting tension on the top of the d-bag per say, but at any given place on a tangled mess, there's your baglock.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

>What i meant to get at is i was wondering if a horseshoe can
> develope into a bag lock from what my instructor told me to do in
> my EP's?

Yes, and that's almost what you want. Sure, the ideal case is that it clears and your parachute opens. But if you can turn a horseshoe into a bag lock, then a) you know exactly what to do and b) it's going to cut away cleanly. If you try to cut away from a horseshoe, then you may not get clear air to open your reserve in.

Here is probably a good place to mention Brian Germain's pilot chute packing method. His contention is that it will massively reduce the likelihood of a horseshoe, as the pilot chute will be pulled from the boc pouch by the departing bag, giving you either a baglock or premature deployment, both of which are better than a horseshoe.

Here is probably a good place to mention Brian Germain's pilot chute packing method. His contention is that it will massively reduce the likelihood of a horseshoe, as the pilot chute will be pulled from the boc pouch by the departing bag, giving you either a baglock or premature deployment, both of which are better than a horseshoe.

I've always heard that as long as you can remove the PC by pulling on the bridle, your PC packing method is okay. OTOH, if your PC balls up and prevents itself from escaping the pouch, you need to reevaluate how you pack your PC.

I just bought a a used mirage from the gear shop owner at the ranch...

he had mirage leave out the center grommit on the flap so that you stow the first stow not on the bag and then there are only two grommits on the bag...

awesome openings...and the lines are neater too

I will post pictures this weekend...

CHeers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.