BillyVance

The Dive Rite story

Having been a former Dive Rite jumpsuit owner, I found this to be a very good read, albeit a long one. Owner/developer/jumper Buzz Ansley went through hell and back trying to sell the merits of his jumpsuit technology against the established grain. Much respect to the guy for trying.

But yes, I found myself being able to swoop faster and stop on a dime, and also being able to track further and faster than anybody else not in a Dive Rite suit after breakoff. And yes, I got the same criticism from others especially when it concerned the big ways, that swooping like I did went against the established rules of following your wingman down. It was an interesting era for me nonetheless.

However, the level of resistance Buzz faced even from the editors of Parachutist and Skydiving magazines to publishing any of his attempts to explain and describe how his suits worked shocked me. This is the man who helped set the 200 way Dive Rite World Record in 1993, a record for a 1-suit formation that still stands today.

Enjoy.

http://swoopforlife.com/Before_I_Die_II.php
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

1993? Shouldn't this be in History & Trivia?

:D:D

Hi NWF

OLD is contagious;) Your time will come.

You might remember this post when you have your second ;) senior moment

Billy and I are actually pretty close in age, he's just been jumping since a much younger age. :P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The 200 way was in October 1992. Why do I have to continue correcting this ? :|

Billy doesn't listen??
BOOM :D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Dayum -- makes me want to buy one. I miss my swoop cords.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The 200 way was in October 1992. Why do I have to continue correcting this ? :|

Whoops! I knew it was right before I made my first jump. I didn't double check the date.

And no, I never listen, I lip read or read signs. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

1993? Shouldn't this be in History & Trivia?

:D:D

I thought about it but I didn't think I've been around long enough to be an old-timer. My best years were the late 90's. I didn't want to insult the real old-timers. :P

Okay, what did I miss? :P

If I may expound on the Dive Rite suits, they were great for super-tracking and swooping down to the formations, but it was better suited for speed stars or where everybody has a Dive Rite. You still had to follow the rules on the bigger ways.

One of my favorite jumps was my 500th at the WFFC. Speed star 13 way out of Mullin's King Air. I was next to last to exit, and the 5th one to arrive at the 4 way base.

I was selfish, I wanted both the SCR and SCS, so I hung out waiting for the others to get in, when it built up to 8, I got in. ;)

Do you still have it ?

The jumpsuits? No. First one I gave away because I outgrew it. Second one was in my gear bag that got stolen along with my car. Third one didn't fit me too well (made after the main seamstress had to retire due to health problems) and I sold it.

After 12 years with a Zute Sute that I wore out to shreds, I now have a Tony Suit pit special.

I have a DR 200 way suit with the swoop cords. It was my first RW suit and it is in very good condition. Still have it but not sure I can still fit in it.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

I have a DR 200 way suit with the swoop cords. It was my first RW suit and it is in very good condition. Still have it but not sure I can still fit in it.

Funny, my last Dive Rite was specially made for the Skydive Chicago 300 way event, but the wrong color. Then I found that I slid all over the place in it. It was way too slick. :S That's when I ordered the Zute Sute in the color I was designated for - flourescent orange. I flew much better in that one. It did have the swoop cords in it too, but of course it didn't stop on a dime like the Dive Rites did because the material was different. After a while, I quit using the swoop cord and got along with the way everybody was doing it by just following my wing man in.

I did like the old school aspect of the Dive Rite story, the way that the more people you pass, the better a jumper you are proving yourself to be.

While that is out of fashion in formal big ways now, it still is fun when doing speed stars and medium sized formations at the local DZ!

I did like the old school aspect of the Dive Rite story, the way that the more people you pass, the better a jumper you are proving yourself to be.

While that is out of fashion in formal big ways now, it still is fun when doing speed stars and medium sized formations at the local DZ!

Absolutely. I've had some badass performances with the Dive Rite suit on smaller dives. It's the only suit that would let me dive after a formation and pop in place taking up a grip in one shot BAM BAM, without rippling the formation. B|

What memories....
The first jumpsuit I owned that wasn't cotton with velco at the wrists and ankles was a Dive Rite that I bought used. A guy that wieghed 300# bought it and found out that not even a Dive Rite could slow him down. He put three or four jumps on it and sold it to me. Had a local gal take in the torso by about 8" and took it to my first WFFC. It totally amazed me.
I got a dealership and sold a couple of dozen to local jumpers. I owned 3 or 4 over the years.
My last Dive-Rite lasted me about 14 years. I replaced the booties 3 times, but the rest was good.
I just couldn't find a replacement with as much range. After talking to many different companies, I finally sent the suit to Bev. She slightly altered her comp suit to make it a little more like my suit.
My Bev suit is great, the booties are much better than anything I had on the Dive Rite, but it doesn't quite have the same stopping power.
I wtill remember that first jump on my used Dive Rite, chasing a 100# woman down to a 12 way. She exited 2 slots before me and I had to dock on her on the far side of the formation. Just before I passed her as she slowed I popped those wings, went ove the top of her and used her burble to sink in and pick up her leg a split second after she docked.
I don't remember anything else from that week of skydiving, but I'll always remember that.
What a suit!!!!
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.