Icyhills

Drinking while diving

which is another way of saying what i was trying to, thanks. another thought a balloon with less water in it and with less mass hurts more because they don't break, i've been beaned by return fire and thats my experience.

screw it all talk has me thinking about the good old days. i'm heading to the store and buying my balloon's and then heading to my brothers, THE WAR IS BACK ON BITCH :)

Yeah you beat me to it, I was typing mine while you posted yours I guess.

We used to have wars as well, but we were at least 50 yards away, or further.
We did however launch a balloon from a hill that I'd say was anywhere from 100 to 200 feet high down to a public pool and it managed to hit some poor guy square in the back as he was swimming. It was the funniest damn thing ever. You couldn't make that shot if you tried.

That balloon was definitely at terminal, and that guy got nothing more than a smack on the back. To this day he is probably like how the fuck?

on the thread title, I know a guy who tried to drink from a snapple bottle in freefall. I believe when he took the top off that it was sucked out a bit. I think at some point there would be an equilibrium and water would stay in the cup because the force pulling it out wouldn't be strong enough. I really don't know though.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

oooo should have thought of this sooner, with youtube and all the jackass ripoffs of course water balloon launcher to head would be there

all alive unfort was hoping for the mystical decaptiation being advocated here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjo2fJInn2o

or bad audio great shot to the neck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n9S8NZ2CFk

> It's not just air resistance, but also gravity at play.

It's actually just air resistance.

If you were to sit in a car that drove out the back of an airplane, and the car was falling belly-down at 120mph (or any steady speed) you would not float off the seat because you are at "terminal." (Provided the windows and doors were closed, of course.) To you it would feel like one gravity holding you in the seat.

But how about if the tired are on a treadmill going the same speed in the opposite direction.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

We did however launch a balloon from a hill that I'd say was anywhere from 100 to 200 feet high down to a public pool and it managed to hit some poor guy square in the back as he was swimming. It was the funniest damn thing ever. You couldn't make that shot if you tried.

That balloon was definitely at terminal, and that guy got nothing more than a smack on the back. To this day he is probably like how the fuck?

We take better than 1000ft to reach terminal. How do you know the balloon was at that?

I've slammed a water balloon from point blank at full toss into my brothers head ton's of times, and I can chunk a baseball at 89mph. A balloon is not very aerodynamic i bet terminal velocity of your basic 1/4 to 1/2 pound water balloon is maybe 80 to 90, probably less, so I bet i'm tossing the balloon at 90% of that,

A baseball is rigid, a balloon is not. You won't be able to grip it well, have to shotput it rather than throw it. It also may not stand up to the instant accelleration, whereas freefall is much more gradual.

Don't have an opinion on what would happen yet, but these are fallacies. OTOH, it's not that hard to get a more accurate measure of your throwing speed, so find out.

At maximum velocity a water balloon of average or above average size could injure or kill someone and/or cause significant damage to property...as well as put a crater in the ground. Furthermore your statement about the penny was completely irrelevant since it does not have the same mass therefore does not have the same velocity of the water baloon.

a penny has comparable mass to some bullets. The issue is the tumbling, leading to very high air resistance. If you instead dropped it as a ball bearing, much more pain potential.

We take better than 1000ft to reach terminal. How do you know the balloon was at that?

How fast do you think a person falls jumping from 200 ft? The balloon was close enough.
And if you watched any of the videos posted, I'm betting the "muzzle" velocity of those launched balloons is possibly as fast if not faster than terminal for a balloon.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Just remember that water is quite heavy and unbroken water balloons will leave a nice little crater on earth....I wouldn't want to be hit with one

Do you also think that a penny dropped from the Empire State Building will kill someone?

Seriously?

A filled water balloon has a lot more mass than a penny. People seem to always forget just how heavy water is. You should try getting one of those water balloon launchers and fire one straight up in the air and see what happens when it comes back down :P

I dunno about a crater but it will definately hurt and leave a dent in whatever it hits.

I know of a case where someone tossed a water balloon at the windshield on a moving school bus..... shattered the window:S:S

Water can do some damage

I have personally seen a water ballon go through the windhield of a car. It left a hole the size of a fist. It was thrown from the back of my truck going 60 MPH at my friends car that was going 60 MPH the opposite direction.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

again i agree, so we are talking about close to 120mph impact. No one has answered what they think terminal of a 1/4 to 1/2 pound water balloon is. there is no way terminal is anywhere close to 120 I agree it will do damage and hurt, but to kill or even more so "crater the earth" is a bit far fetched. If it killed it would take some extremly bad luck, crater is out of the question.

as for how fast i can throw, as stated in an effort as kids to maximize impact and pain upon my sibling, don't overfill the balloon, you don't want to change the color much on expansion, this makes them very tough, you can then whip it very close to the speed of a baseball, half the time they just squash and don't pop and leave a nice welt. its like knowing how to roll a towel into a rat knot, if u do it right i can take the bark off of a tree and leave serious marks on a younger brother:ph34r:

Just remember that water is quite heavy and unbroken water balloons will leave a nice little crater on earth....I wouldn't want to be hit with one

Do you also think that a penny dropped from the Empire State Building will kill someone?

Seriously?

A filled water balloon has a lot more mass than a penny. People seem to always forget just how heavy water is. You should try getting one of those water balloon launchers and fire one straight up in the air and see what happens when it comes back down :P

I dunno about a crater but it will definately hurt and leave a dent in whatever it hits.

I know of a case where someone tossed a water balloon at the windshield on a moving school bus..... shattered the window:S:S

Water can do some damage

Water can do damage... here's a wikiquote (yes, this is reliable information)

"Water sticks to itself. Water has a high surface tension caused by the strong cohesion between water molecules because it is polar. The apparent elasticity caused by surface tension drives the capillary waves."

This is why landing in the water at Bridge Day, for example, will hurt like hell if you pick up speed. This is also why water will make such an impact at high speeds. This is how water forms droplets and such. Surface tension is what it's all about ;)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Seriously?

Wow!!...you should think before you post....

Seriously.

And I have dropped water balloons from under canopy... 8 in total..... a large orange sized water balloon dropped from approx. 200 feet leaves a nice little crater in a grass field(just ask the guy who thought about catching it and is quite glad he missed)...the ones dropped from approx 600 feet and 1000 feet did what looked to be the same amount of damage...small craters...approx 12in in diameter and 3 in deep.

> It's not just air resistance, but also gravity at play.

It's actually just air resistance.

If you were to sit in a car that drove out the back of an airplane, and the car was falling belly-down at 120mph (or any steady speed) you would not float off the seat because you are at "terminal." (Provided the windows and doors were closed, of course.) To you it would feel like one gravity holding you in the seat.

I'm not so sure about that. Terminal velocity is a function of both gravity and air resistance. If you remove air resistance from the equation, there's still gravity doing it's thing.

Back to the cup of water in freefall. If you think that the water will always stay inside the cup because it's protected from the wind, that implies that the terminal velocity of the water inside an open container is infinite. It would mean that no matter how fast the cup is going, the water will always be faster.

I'm not so sure that's true. At some point, the speed will be so great that the mass the water is insufficient to keep up with the cup, and it will float out. And I think that point will be reached well before you get to the normal 120 mph freefall speed. Raindrops, really big ones, only fall at about 20 mph, if my memory serves correctly. A cup sized glob of water will be faster than that, but I don't think it will do 120.

And of course, with all this theorizing, we're not talking about the period of time where acceleration is at play, because the G-force from that will cause the object to float away from the container.

And there is also the suction factor, which will be present because of the definition of the scenario. The air will flow around the cup, creating a low pressure area above it, which will probably suck the liquid out the top.

I may take a cup of water out of the plane this weekend just to see what happens. If I get to jump - forecast is for gusts to 25...

Someone else try it too. Buy a cup and lid from a convenience store. Fill it with water when you go to the plane. On exit, hold it in front of you with one hand, and hold the lid in place with the other. Exit and get stable. Count to at least 12 to make sure you're at terminal. Then peel the lid off and observe closely to see what happens. Report back.

again i agree, so we are talking about close to 120mph impact. No one has answered what they think terminal of a 1/4 to 1/2 pound water balloon is. there is no way terminal is anywhere close to 120 I agree it will do damage and hurt, but to kill or even more so "crater the earth" is a bit far fetched. If it killed it would take some extremly bad luck, crater is out of the question.

Depends upon the hardness of the earth. I've watched a freefalling water balloon impact a plowed field, with a dramatic crater result.

Terminal velocity of a water balloon, in my experience, would be around 80 to 100 mph.

I've been hit by one of those slingshot water balloons, and it stung like hell. I've seen one break a window from 100 feet away. Death, I think, is unlikely, but maybe for a small infant, with a head shot ...

>Terminal velocity is a function of both gravity and air resistance.

Agreed.

>If you remove air resistance from the equation, there's still gravity doing
>it's thing.

True. But without air, you are no more aware of gravity than an astronaut in orbit. Sure, you are both "feeling" gravity (i.e. accelerating towards the planet) but as far as you can tell nothing's going on. There's no drag, no air, no lift, no sensation of motion.

Until you get to the ground, that is.

>that implies that the terminal velocity of the water inside an open
>container is infinite.

The terminal velocity of anything protected inside a container is infinite. It will go as fast as the container goes.

I'll suggest another experiment. Get a few lightweight but clear containers; I am thinking tennis ball tubes. Cover both. Exit with both. (Maybe with two people.) Open one and observe both.

My prediction:

The closed container will have the water just sit there, perhaps shaken a bit by the buffeting of the air. The open container will have the water go nuts as the air swirls around inside, sucking a good percentage out before opening time. (Needless to say, dump all the water before deploying!)

The terminal velocity of anything protected inside a container is infinite. It will go as fast as the container goes.

Exactly. Terminal Velocity, although involving gravity, is a function of air resistance only because gravity is a constant acceleration. It goes back to Newton's laws in that without drag, every object will fall the same speed. The water encounters no resistance as it falls, so it has an infinite terminal velocity. Of course thats sends it straight into the bottom of the cup which has a pretty low TV becauses of it's surface area exposed. But the pressure differences created at the top of the cup would surely send water flyin'. It is much stronger than the force keeping it in the cup.

As for water balloons, I own one of those elastic launcher deals. Just like most kids, we terrorized the neighborhood for a couple years with it. After a few months a few guys always get ballsy and agree to get hit intentionally. I was one of them, and even though it does hurt pretty badly, I seriously doubt death could be possible for an average sized kid or adult.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

True. But without air, you are no more aware of gravity than an astronaut in orbit. Sure, you are both "feeling" gravity (i.e. accelerating towards the planet) but as far as you can tell nothing's going on. There's no drag, no air, no lift, no sensation of motion.

Seems a contradiction to me. You say the astronaut is not aware of gravity, but that they can "feel" it. How can a person feel it but not be aware of it?

It would be true if there is no acceleration taking place (which would require being in a closed system and not acceleerating relative to any of it's other constituent parts). If there is any acceleration (and an astronaut in orbit is accelerating), regardless of whether or not there was any air, it can be detected (within the limits of human perception of course - itsy bitsy amounts of acceleration might not be detected human senses alone).

Also, wouldn't the terminal velocity of a fluid in a closed container be the same as the container itself? It is moving the same speed as the container, so it's speed relative to the container is zero. It's speed relative to say, the planet towards which the container is falling would be the same as the container. Either way, it would not be infinite; right?
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Actually you can drink from a cup in freefall. Check out the old Wally Gubbins movies - there's a scene where they take "cocktails" on a skydive.

If you keep the cup upright, the liquid stays in the cup pretty nicely. When you tilt the cup to drink from it, there will be some that splashes out from the wind, but when the cup is upright, the liquid is in the burble of the cup.

Might be best to use a large cup about half full.

Make mine a Jack Daniels.;)

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

...drinking out of a cup while skydiving. As niether of us are skydivers (at least not yet...) and aren't too good at areo/fluid dynamics, we can't figure it out for ourselves. I've looked for ages but can't seem to find any reports, pics, or videos of someone giving it a try.

Look no more! I did an experiment this weekend.

I took a "medium" movie theater drink cup of about 20 ounces, constructed of heavy wax paper, and filled it two-thirds full of water. I put the lid in place, and left the straw in it. Photo attached.

I took this cup out in freefall, exiting by holding the cup upright with one hand, and putting my other hand over the lid to hold it in place. So this had me flying with my hands in front of my face, sort of praying-mantis style. I observed the cup closely.

I noticed several things immediately.

First, during freefall acceleration to terminal velocity, some water was pushed upward against the lid and oozed out into a spray in the air. I attributed this to g-force with my acceleration speed outpacing the acceleration speed of the water inside the cup.

Second, the cup developed some dimples in it right away. This may have been due to air pressure differences, with the inside of the cup containing ambient air from inside the plane before exit at 13,000 feet, while the outside high speed air in freefall was much thicker. This situation equalized in a few seconds.

I counted to 15 to make sure I was at terminal velocity, then I carefully peeled the lid off and discarded it. The water stayed inside the cup, down at the bottom. I peeked down inside repeatedly to verify this. It was very stable, actually, with no perceptible loss of volume. There was no apparent suction effect from the Bernoulli principle, drawing the water upward through the open top, due to the high speed air flowing around the cup.

After about 10 seconds of this, I started tilting the cup to see what it would take to spill water out. It took about a 45-degree tilt before water started spilling out into a spray. The wind blast deformed the cup at this angle. I didn't try and drink out of it, but I believe that you could accomplish this fairly easily, but you should be prepared to get a face full of liquid.

Before opening my parachute I squashed the cup in my left hand dumping the remaining water out, and hanging onto it so as not to further litter the landscape below.

Can you drink out of a cup in freefall?
As the Mythbuster guys would say: Confirmed!

No animals were harmed in the performance of this experiment.

What else would be fun with this kind of cup-o-water experiment?

How about: If you release an open cup of water in freefall, will it stay stable, bottom down, water inside? After all, it's configured like a shuttlecock at this point, with a tapered conical shape and the weight at the bottom. Or will it tumble and release its contents? I'm not sure it's possible to observe that, because as soon as you release the cup, it's probably going to decelerate and disappear from view upward. The deceleration forces alone would probably destabilize it.