ianmdrennan

Stolen Gear - Zhills (PDFT Rig with Peregrine 67)

ianmdrennan

To the dude who got his rig stolen, you must be sponsored to be flying that rig right? if so, don't worry, most likely you are sponsored and will have a free rig in the near future.

Why is that relevant? Stolen gear is stolen gear. Someone has to pay to replace it.....

A sponser most likely has deeper pockets than an unsponsered individual, and a sponser only pays his production cost of making the rig and canopies, and not the retail price.

But yes, that doesn't make it any less sad. Just that the financial effect on the victim is lessened.

pchapman

Seinfeld:

Kramer: It's a write-off for them.
Jerry: How is it a write-off?
Kramer: They just write it off.
Jerry: Write it off what?
Kramer: Jerry, all these big companies, they write off everything.
Jerry: You don't even know what a write-off is.

Kramer: Do you?
Jerry: No, I don't.
Kramer: But they do. And they're the ones writing it off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEL65gywwHQ

"So many fatalities and injuries are caused by decisions jumpers make before even getting into the aircraft. Skydiving can be safe AND fun at the same time...Honest." - Bill Booth

GooniesKid

Well then, strictly from a business point of view, the dude/dudette who got their rig stolen should be fired and/or pay for the rig right? Wouldn't it ultimately be their responsibility to take care of the rig; ie not have it stolen? And don't say, "oh, it's not the dude's fault for having it stolen" because at the end of the day, it was issued out to the sponsored person.

If a recently graduated student got rental gear stolen the company issuing the gear would IMMEDIATELY charge the student's credit card for the loss. This is no different then. Saying it is no different is now putting sponsored people in a different class above all the rest in terms of "borrowing" gear.

This sounds a lot like jealousy of a sponsored athlete.

They guy whose rig was stolen is a great person who goes out of his way to help other skydivers. He earned his place on the team through skill and having the right personality.

He does not deserve either to have his rig stolen or your disrespect.

I hope your gear never gets half-inched.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

tristansdad

Um yeah cuz it was stolen. How many times have you left your gear unattended or unlocked while at the dz?

The difference is I do not jump a 'prototype', or kind of 'secret' canopy. Maybe a design is already not really protected anymore and PD does not care, but if not, it would be unresponsible to leave SUCH rig unlocked and unattanded, so that a competition had an option to steal it, pick the stitches, disassemble the canopy, perform all the meausurements, and manufacture a copy canopy, or a very similar canopy. Such things do happen in other industries.

But, if PD does not care about the above, then we are just talking about the cost of materials stolen (say $10,000), not about huge R&D costs that went into designing and releasing Peregrine, as well as future profits (say $100,000). So, the question is: does PD care if someone had a chance to measure all the parts of disassembled Peregrine? Anyone can do it with Stiletto, etc, but my feel was that Peregrine was more protected (as in: not sold just to anyone, you had to be selected by PD, etc).

You have absolutely no idea of the circumstances under which the rig was stolen. Lets lay off the conspiracy theories, I don't believe they are valid.

Instead I ask that you all keep an eye on ebay, craigslist, etc (we are too) and help us locate this gear.

Thanks,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

For everyone:

This thread is about helping these jumpers get their property back. PERIOD.

Because this is a new high-profile canopy and a rig from a member of a well-known team, some of you have chosen to dissect the situation and use your favorite parts to dive into speculation or create unnecssary spin. Lots of gear gets stolen . . . most of it gets posted here . . . ALL of those threads get stuck to the top of the forum page and many times gear has been recovered with the help of other skydivers from this community. This should be no different.

I was at the event where the gear got stolen, and it just plain sucks that it happened at all, regardless of who it happened to. Those who could stepped up immediately to help.

Either help the lads get their gear back or keep the spin to yourselves.
Arrive Safely

John