1 1
brenthutch

Busing migrants to Chicago

We had a member on this forum call the Republican governor of Texas an asshole for busing migrants to Chicago.  I wonder what he thinks of the Democrat mayor of Denver doing the same, or is that just fine because he’s a Democrat?

“Denver alone has spent at least $4.3 million in city funds to send migrants to other U.S. cities, freeing up shelter beds for new arrivals while adding to the numbers in other Democratic-led cities such as Chicago…”

https://apnews.com/article/denver-migrants-bus-tickets-border-plane-charters-c4584cc4f6eb848aaa939ac962582922#

Edited by brenthutch

32 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

We had a member on this forum call the Republican governor of Texas an asshole for busing migrants to Chicago.  I wonder what he thinks of the Democrat mayor of Denver doing the same, or is that just fine because he’s a Democrat?

I think we should be busing them to Wisconsin.  After Ron Johnson was bragging about how he was not funding Border Patrol, he should be happy to accept all those immigrants he helped get across the border.  He saved money by not paying the Border Patrol; he can take all those savings and build some shelters.

(edited)
1 hour ago, billvon said:

I think we should be busing them to Wisconsin.  After Ron Johnson was bragging about how he was not funding Border Patrol, he should be happy to accept all those immigrants he helped get across the border.  He saved money by not paying the Border Patrol; he can take all those savings and build some shelters.

Ship them right up to Madison, I’m sure Mayor Rhodes-Conway (D) won’t have a problem with that given Madison’s status as a sanctuary city.

Edited by brenthutch

(edited)

According to your own source the Mayor of Denver didn’t put anyone on a bus that wasn’t headed to where they wanted to go. So there’s that.

BTW the last question left standing was why you deliberately deceptively edited a Wikipedia article to provide a definition of woke that you later claimed to not even agree with. Not really a surprise that you ran away from that one, though.

Edited by jakee

46 minutes ago, jakee said:

According to your own source the Mayor of Denver didn’t put anyone on a bus that wasn’t headed to where they wanted to go. So there’s that.

BTW the last question left standing was why you deliberately deceptively edited a Wikipedia article to provide a definition of woke that you later claimed to not even agree with. Not really a surprise that you ran away from that one, though.

Neither did the Governor of Texas. Surely you don’t think the migrants wanted to stay in Eagle Pass TX.

Just for you “..”  Is that better?

BTW I thought it was obvious that the cut and paste weren’t my words, that said I should have added the parentheses. 

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Just for you “..”  Is that better?

How should I know. What is it?

BTW I thought it was obvious that the cut and paste weren’t my words, that said I should have added the parentheses. 

Was it obvious that you deceptively edited it and described it as a ‘description of woke from Wikipedia’ when you knew it was actually a description of what Right Wing people wrongly claim woke to be? I mean yes, it was obvious, but was it supposed to be?

Was it obvious that you offered it as a definition while (supposedly) not even believing that it was a good definition? I don’t think it was.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

How should I know. What is it?

Was it obvious that you deceptively edited it and described it as a ‘description of woke from Wikipedia’ when you knew it was actually a description of what Right Wing people wrongly claim woke to be? I mean yes, it was obvious, but was it supposed to be?

Was it obvious that you offered it as a definition while (supposedly) not even believing that it was a good definition? I don’t think it was.

Thread drift, let’s get back to my original question,

Is the mayor of Denver a bad actor for shipping migrants to Chicago and NYC, or does he get a pass because he is a Democrat?”

There! I even included the parentheses 

3 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Neither did the Governor of Texas. Surely you don’t think the migrants wanted to stay in Eagle Pass TX.

My understanding and recollection is that people on those busses did not know where they were heading and were led unto the bus under false pretense.

That does appear to be different from the Denver situation.

10 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

My understanding and recollection is that people on those busses did not know where they were heading and were led unto the bus under false pretense.

That does appear to be different from the Denver situation.

Wrong 

“According to the governor’s office, migrants willingly accept Texas-sponsored transportation and sign a consent waiver.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/20/texas-plane-immigrants-chicago-greg-abbott-busing/

8 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Wrong 

“According to the governor’s office, migrants willingly accept Texas-sponsored transportation and sign a consent waiver.”

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/12/20/texas-plane-immigrants-chicago-greg-abbott-busing/

Ahh according to the Governor's office.....

Regardless, using human beings at their most powerless as human pawns in a political game is wrong. I don't care who does it.

And somebody coming on here using this as some opportunity of a glib "gotcha moment" says more about their character than anything else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Ahh according to the Governor's office.....

Regardless, using human beings at their most powerless as human pawns in a political game is wrong. I don't care who does it.

And somebody coming on here using this as some opportunity of a glib "gotcha moment" says more about their character than anything else.

Helping migrants reach their destination is simply humane. Keeping them trapped in an overcrowded border town is unconscionable.

1 minute ago, brenthutch said:

Helping migrants reach their destination is simply humane. Keeping them trapped in an overcrowded border town is unconscionable.

Dropping migrants somewhere is simply humane? Under your logic the cartels smuggling them across the border are humane organizations as well. They are helping migrants reach their final destination after all.

At least have the balls to admit you get pleasure out of seeing brown people suffer.

There are indeed humane ways of dealing with this, the US is doing very little of that. The poor brown people at the border are nothing but political pawns in your Right vs Left binary world.

31 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:.

There are indeed humane ways of dealing with this, the US is doing very little of that. The poor brown people at the border are nothing but political pawns in your Right vs Left binary world.

And what would that be?

58 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

But you want to keep them trapped in overcrowded border towns outside the US because that's simply humane.  Helping them reach their destinations in the US is unconscionable.

A fascinating glimpse into conservative morality.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Thread drift, let’s get back to my original question,

The original thread still exists, and still has those questions waiting to be answered whenever you wanna stop dodging them.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Is the mayor of Denver a bad actor for shipping migrants to Chicago and NYC, or does he get a pass because he is a Democrat?”

The Governor of Texas refuses to cooperate with any other agency, State or Federal, and sends those migrants, busload at a time, to places where no one knows they're coming. Is the Mayor of Denver doing the same thing?

37 minutes ago, billvon said:

But you want to keep them trapped in overcrowded border towns outside the US because that's simply humane.  Helping them reach their destinations in the US is unconscionable.

A fascinating glimpse into conservative morality.

What’s your plan Bill?

And what would that be?

Set up proper facilities. Process quickly. Provide attainable alternatives to illegal migration. Help countries prosper. 

Just a few options there. But basically, be a decent human being. Weird you have to ask.

50 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

What’s your plan Bill?

Increase funding for border patrol, for autonomous patrols (drones) and for hiring more border patrol agents.
Hire enough legal people and INS people to process the people we get.
Fund biometric scanning and processing to find the repeat offenders and the criminals from other countries.
Increase funding for flights back to their place of origin (for the criminals.)
Allow people who apply for asylum to legally work while their cases are being decided.
Allow people who have a history of work (and no history of crime) to apply for citizenship if their claim is denied.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, billvon said:

Increase funding for border patrol, for autonomous patrols (drones) and for hiring more border patrol agents.
Hire enough legal people and INS people to process the people we get.
Fund biometric scanning and processing to find the repeat offenders and the criminals from other countries.
Increase funding for flights back to their place of origin (for the criminals.)
Allow people who apply for asylum to legally work while their cases are being decided.
Allow people who have a history of work (and no history of crime) to apply for citizenship if their claim is denied.

Man, if only Congress would come up with a bi-partisan bill to pass laws and funding to do just that. 

I'm sure the Republicans would support that!        /s

3 minutes ago, normiss said:

Man, if only Congress would come up with a bi-partisan bill to pass laws and funding to do just that. 

Old friend of mine (and right winger) on Facebook was complaining that the bipartisan bill did NOTHING!  And if you sheep would only READ it you'd realize that!  No one READS the bills any more!

So I replied listing how much funding was going to each border-safety entity per the bill.

His reply: "Well, you have to read between the lines."

(edited)
29 minutes ago, normiss said:

I'm sure the Republicans would support that!        /s

All we have to do is follow the laws that are already on the books. The failure to do so gave us Trump 1.0 if the border crisis continues we will get Trump 2.0

Edited by brenthutch

40 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

All we have to do is follow the laws that are already on the books. The failure to do so gave us Trump 1.0 if the border crisis continues we will get Trump 2.0

chapter line and verse, which laws on the books are not being followed, with specific examples and then some statistical analysis to demonstrate that 'whatever conclusion' is a widespread or systemic causation of the problems at the border - which you have yet to describe (specifically)

• Like 2