degeneration

Crown Prince Cheats Death over Dubai!!!

and yes, packers do appreciate courtesies that seem to have all but disappeared in this self centered world where instead of pondering how they might show some consideration to others, everyone justifies their own actions ...

You are paying the packer to “pack” your canopy. Part of “packing” a canopy is setting the brakes and clearing the slider. It has nothing to do with “consideration of others”. Packers are leading jumpers around by the nose and jumpers are buying into it. By you doing the breaks and slider he can pack faster and make more money and you end up paying full price for the job.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/STUPID.jpg
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I don't disagree at all with you Michael... I wasn't focusing on whether we should set brakes, position the slider, or cock the PC for a paid packer, that's why I called it a courtesy to do so.
Yes, I freely admit to being stupid...sometimes I work hard at it...sometimes I've been so silly that I even tipped a packer.

My intent was to address what I perceived to be actions that might be hazardous to a "young" jumper, and pointed out how he might not realize that in some places non-swoopers landing near the beer line was being inconsiderate, and that just possibly the guy that hit him failed miserably whilst trying to send a message (albeit in an inconsiderate and foolish way). I apologized to him because I was pointing out that his actions appeared inconsiderate, though perhaps not maliciously so.

I had hoped, perhaps in error, that latent in my message was the idea that landing a little further out might afford him time to be more situationaly aware, whatever task he might undertake...even...leaving the LZ.

Kind regards,

Russ

Generally, it is your choice; will your life serve as an example... or a warning?

DougH

If I am watching the traffic I can always dive out of the way

I used to think that I could dodge someone no problem until I got clipped in the landing area. As I was setting my breaks I was watching another jumper coming in on a stranded straight in final. At the time I didn't think much of it; his intended touchdown appeared to be about 20 or more feet to my right so I continued stowing my breaks and watching him. The combination of a slight cross wind, asymmetrical flair, and maybe a little target fixation hooked him right into my direction. I dove immediately when he started hooking around and was still clipped hard enough to flip me over my canopy.

I watched him the whole time and was quick to dive out of the way but being quick isn't always quick enough. We both walked away little shook up and with a new respect for the landing area.

When I drop my rig off in the packing area these days the toggles will be on the risers but there is a good chance the breaks wont be set.
Door! Green! Enjoy

jimmytavino

Re : Linetwists...

HERE are some Good Ones....
happened on a work jump. AFF video...
Opened around 4-Five...
spectre 210...
was cranking around On Itself...pretty good..
but never dove....or spun...
and i WAS able to clear them.:|

slider down at the links., by 2,800 feet..:)jmy

Smokes, check the twists in the brake lines.....
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

mjosparky

and yes, packers do appreciate courtesies that seem to have all but disappeared in this self centered world where instead of pondering how they might show some consideration to others, everyone justifies their own actions ...

You are paying the packer to “pack” your canopy. Part of “packing” a canopy is setting the brakes and clearing the slider. It has nothing to do with “consideration of others”. Packers are leading jumpers around by the nose and jumpers are buying into it. By you doing the breaks and slider he can pack faster and make more money and you end up paying full price for the job.

Sparky

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp55/mjosparky/STUPID.jpg

+1

Pet peeve of mine (I do not MIND at all setting the brakes, etc to make it faster for the packer, but if they expect it I find it annoying and ask if I'll be getting a discount since I'm doing some of the work for them). Also, I will not use any packer who says "you just pay me to put it in the bag, not for the opening". I refuse to work with people who don't take pride, and care, in their work.

Call me old fashioned ;)

Fortunately the packers I do use, are simply amazing. They pack like they're jumping the rig themselves, and they care about the quality of their work.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

jclalor

You guys can laugh all you want, the truth of the matter is the Prince some how managed to turn that ball of shit into a controllable canopy and survive, not only did he save his own life, he also averted probable ground casualties in the process.

I hope you're joking.

I once was setting my brakes when a friend's swoop was heading straight at me. I stood my ground because I had been taught that if I dodge, I would be unpredictable, and he had plenty of time and distance to miss me. Well... his knees slammed into my chest, but no one was injured. I asked him why he didn't swerve, he said he thought I would move. Many weeks later he admitted that he did it on purpose because he had his camera on and had always got great video of people dodging out of the way before. I was the first one who didn't. He doesn't do that anymore.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

I once was setting my brakes when a friend's swoop was heading straight at me. I stood my ground because I had been taught that if I dodge, I would be unpredictable, and he had plenty of time and distance to miss me. Well... his knees slammed into my chest, but no one was injured. I asked him why he didn't swerve, he said he thought I would move. Many weeks later he admitted that he did it on purpose because he had his camera on and had always got great video of people dodging out of the way before. I was the first one who didn't. He doesn't do that anymore.

That's a good way to break both legs.... or to get both legs broken! [:/]
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

jclalor

You guys can laugh all you want, the truth of the matter is the Prince some how managed to turn that ball of shit into a controllable canopy and survive, not only did he save his own life, he also averted probable ground casualties in the process.

And averted a possible crisis, or worse a war, in the middle east following his death that would have costed many more lives. Yeah, just like so.

LOL, ok, sorry. That was brilliant. :P Very well played.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

gowlerk

good one for the DSE's camera incident list

unkulunkulu

***I once was setting my brakes when a friend's swoop was heading straight at me. I stood my ground because I had been taught that if I dodge, I would be unpredictable, and he had plenty of time and distance to miss me. Well... his knees slammed into my chest, but no one was injured. I asked him why he didn't swerve, he said he thought I would move. Many weeks later he admitted that he did it on purpose because he had his camera on and had always got great video of people dodging out of the way before. I was the first one who didn't. He doesn't do that anymore.

I wasn't going to reply and I know I will get attacked for my position but no, it's not a good one for the camera incident list. Almost nothing on that list is good for a camera incident list. Actually this one is good for an assault charge. This has nothing to do with a camera and everything to do with someone intentionally placing others in reasonable apprehension of immediate bodily harm for his own amusement. I fir one think it's ridiculous to classify everything as a camera incident j u st because the jumper has a camera.

I know I know, he was trying to film it so it's camera related. Well filming yourself being an asshole isn't the camera's fault...it's the asshole's fault. Just like almost everything in the camera incident list should be in an altitude awareness list. If it wasn't the camera it would be something else. People seem to forget their priority on every jump is to pull...preferably at the correct altitude. There will always be some shiny new gadget but when are we as a community going to hold the JUMPER accountable for their own actions rather than blaming the gadget?

I screwed up and rigged my collapsible pc wrong once...gave myself a pc in tow and reserve ride. It was my fault and I felt stupid about it....it wasn't a collapsible pc incident.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

I can understand why you feel that way. But I'd like to say that the guy involved is a very careful and very long time respected jumper. And a camera pioneer who has jumped Betamax systems strapped to his belly in the past. Currently he is our ST&A, and does a great job. He made a mistake and acknowledged it and learned from it. He didn't have to admit the truth to me, but felt he should.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

mcordell

******I once was setting my brakes when a friend's swoop was heading straight at me. I ...........................

I wasn't going to reply and I know I will get attacked for my position but no, it's not a good one for the camera incident list. Almost nothing on that list is good for a camera incident list. Actually this one is good for an assault charge. This has nothing to do with a camera and everything to do with someone intentionally placing others in reasonable apprehension of immediate bodily harm for his own amusement. ........................................it wasn't a collapsible pc incident.

No one is blaming the cameras for any of the incidents on DSE's camera list. We are simply trying to show (thru data) that cameras can and have been "links in the chain" of events that can cause injury and death. If you are going to jump cameras, you need to understand this.

We all agree with you that the cameras are not to blame. But you would have to admit, they can be a link in the chain. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

skyjumpenfool

*********I once was setting my brakes when a friend's swoop was heading straight at me. I ...........................

I wasn't going to reply and I know I will get attacked for my position but no, it's not a good one for the camera incident list. Almost nothing on that list is good for a camera incident list. Actually this one is good for an assault charge. This has nothing to do with a camera and everything to do with someone intentionally placing others in reasonable apprehension of immediate bodily harm for his own amusement. ........................................it wasn't a collapsible pc incident.

No one is blaming the cameras for any of the incidents on DSE's camera list. We are simply trying to show (thru data) that cameras can and have been "links in the chain" of events that can cause injury and death. If you are going to jump cameras, you need to understand this.

We all agree with you that the cameras are not to blame. But you would have to admit, they can be a link in the chain. :)
I do agree that in some cases they MAY have contributed to why someone acted stupid but I don't think it's justifiable to pick these incidents (or in some cases non-incidents) and put them on a list that on the surface really seems intended as a justification for a particular position. Each of those "incidents" has a camera involved but I think the contribution of the camera overall kay be over stated. Most of those listed "incidents" seem to be mostly an issue of inattention or lack of altitude awareness.

I'm not suggesting cameras never cause problems, nor am I suggesting students should be wearing cameras on their jumps but when someone poses a question about camera safety and that list is posted as "proof" that cameras are dangerous for someone with 190 jumps it looks petty since almost everything there is an issue of complacency. That's why I say this particular behavior mentioned above doesn't belong on the list. If someone wants to make a valid point about camera safety they should compile a list of real camera incidents in which there were entanglements or people goofing off past their hard deck because of the camera and NOT "jumper was dicking with camera in plane and forgot to put visor down and was subjected to strong breeze" or "sky god was being a dick to record people fearing for their safety".

These things only serve to weaken an argument and somebody fresh off aff is going to see a weak argument and hurth themselves thinking that list is stupid and proves nothing.
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging