1 1
JerryBaumchen

Boebert's Days May Be Short-lived

Hi folks,

Looks like things are changing rather quickly in Colorada:  Colorado steadily swing to the left . . .  during the Trump era it swung sharply to the left. Democrats control all statewide offices and have their largest majorities in history

I think it should be called the Great Divide:  Conservatives go to red states and liberals go to blue as the country grows more polarized - OPB

We've been thru one Civil War, I would hate to see another one.

Jerry Baumchen

Colorado is not at all homogenous;

Right-leaning:

• Western Slope (rural): District 3, Boebert -R.
  • Eastern Plains (rural). District 4, Ken Buck -R.
  • Colorado Springs (military). due to: Air Force Academy, Cheyenne Mtn AFB, Peterson AFB, Shreiver AFB, Ft Carson Army Base, Pueblo Army Base.  District 5, Doug Lamborn -R

Left-leaning:

• All the more densely populated areas, and resort areas. Districts 1, 2, 6, 7, 8.

CO picked up a seat after the last census, and there was a redistricting. Boebert barely won by just a few hundred votes, in what I expected to be an easy win. Her opponent Adam Frisch has already announced he intends to run against her again.

One weird district is mine. It encompasses both South Park (seriously), and extends Northeast into the Denver Northwest suburbs. So we have a larger rural area mixed in with a smaller urban area. The Democrat won the last time.

22 hours ago, ryoder said:

Colorado is not at all homogenous;

Right-leaning:

• Western Slope (rural): District 3, Boebert -R.
  • Eastern Plains (rural). District 4, Ken Buck -R.
  • Colorado Springs (military). due to: Air Force Academy, Cheyenne Mtn AFB, Peterson AFB, Shreiver AFB, Ft Carson Army Base, Pueblo Army Base.  District 5, Doug Lamborn -R

Left-leaning:

• All the more densely populated areas, and resort areas. Districts 1, 2, 6, 7, 8.

CO picked up a seat after the last census, and there was a redistricting. Boebert barely won by just a few hundred votes, in what I expected to be an easy win. Her opponent Adam Frisch has already announced he intends to run against her again.

One weird district is mine. It encompasses both South Park (seriously), and extends Northeast into the Denver Northwest suburbs. So we have a larger rural area mixed in with a smaller urban area. The Democrat won the last time.

Hey, Robert,

I'm going to disagree as to why Colorado Springs is right-leaning.  Most of the military personnel there don't vote in Colorado, they vote in their home resident states.  However, there is a huge concentration of evangelical Christian organizations headquartered there, which is my understanding of the cause of the area's conservative bend.

Though, I will admit that there are many AF Academy faculty who were first influenced by this ilk while in school, then come back to perpetuate the influence as faculty. Scary influence across the service. 

12 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

Hey, Robert,

I'm going to disagree as to why Colorado Springs is right-leaning.  Most of the military personnel there don't vote in Colorado, they vote in their home resident states.  However, there is a huge concentration of evangelical Christian organizations headquartered there, which is my understanding of the cause of the area's conservative bend.

Though, I will admit that there are many AF Academy faculty who were first influenced by this ilk while in school, then come back to perpetuate the influence as faculty. Scary influence across the service. 

Hi Tri,

This is what concerns me when the s*** hits the fan & we need the military to control any lunatic uprising in this country.

Jerry Baumchen

19 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

Hey, Robert,

I knew there was at least one mega-church down there, but doing some googling turned up...holy shit!

Colorado’s Christian Ministries Overwhelmingly Located in One City: Colorado Springs

A small city at the base of Pikes Peak is home to the vast majority of Colorado Christian ministries.  More than 500 ministries call Colorado Springs home.

Colorado, the 21st most populous state in the country, boasts at least 56 Christian ministries on the “MinistryWatch 1000” list of the largest ministries in the nation.  Among them are some of the nation’s most well-known. Together, they bring in over $2.5 billion, ranking Colorado fourth in the country for Christian ministry revenue.  This ranking owes much to the rapid growth in ministries in Colorado Springs over the past 30 years.

14 minutes ago, ryoder said:

IColorado, the 21st most populous state in the country, boasts at least 56 Christian ministries on the “MinistryWatch 1000” list of the largest ministries in the nation.  Among them are some of the nation’s most well-known. Together, they bring in over $2.5 billion, ranking Colorado fourth in the country for Christian ministry revenue. 

The God business is good business!

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

.... Together, they bring in over $2.5 billion, ranking Colorado fourth in the country for Christian ministry revenue.  This ranking owes much to the rapid growth in ministries in Colorado Springs over the past 30 years.

1 hour ago, ryoder said:

And tax exempt, so the rest of us must makeup the taxes they don't pay.

Major evangelical nonprofits are trying a new strategy with the IRS that allows them to hide their salaries

$280m ‘dark money’ spent by US Christian Right groups globally

I imagine aircraft mechanics and Jet service centers are doing a roaring business in Colorado.

4 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Tri,

This is what concerns me when the s*** hits the fan & we need the military to control any lunatic uprising in this country.

Jerry Baumchen

In any nation the military trends towards the right and conservative. Liberals are far less likely to join.