dontbounce

Container/Mal question

Sorry for the stupid newbie question, but everybody says that I should still ask if I dont know...

Theoretically:

I am doing ok, it comes time to pull, and nothing. If I deploy my reserve with my main still on my back, will it work? What if I deploy my reserve without cutting away? It looks like the main actually sits on top of the reserve in the container. If the main is still neatly packed in the container, will the reserve have room to "get out"?

I am not looking for legally binding advice here, so dont tell me to talk to my instructors. :P I just want to know from some old timers or riggers how it is set up in the container... Is it one on top-one on the bottom (e.g. fully independent)
[r]
[m]

or is it "main sitting on top of reserve" so if my main sticks, my reserve will not deploy until the main is fully cut away...

[m/r]

Anybody know where I can find some animations or scemtics of how it works?

Maybe I can go hang out at the DZ being a packer's bitch for a few weekends... heh heh

Thanks guys,

Paul

Sorry, but in this case you really will need to talk with your instructors or a rigger on the dz. They will best be able to explain it to you in person with a rig as a visual.

To answer the question, like Chris said, yes, the reserve will work with the main in place.
Hope this helps...
Miami

If you place a rig on the ground with the "back-pack" part down you will have the two canopies next to each other. One towards the bottom of the container (the main), and one towards the top. Have someone at the DZ point this out to you. The two pack trays open just fine independently of one another. In fact when my rig goes in for a repack I always pull the reserve (while standing on the ground) just to practice the feel of the handle.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

We (in Norway) learn that we should ALWAYS complete an emergency procedure, and that there is only ONE way to do it (i.e. *we* learn one way, and we stick to it). It's always cut before pull. I know there are conditions where you may want to do different (I saw a security day poster from USPA saying something about this the other day), but we still learn ONE EP in Norway - look look take cut look take pull.

I think as a student you should not be concerned about different ways to do it or under what conditions to do what - just cut first, then pull, if that's the EP you have been taught.

(Ok, if you for some reason are extremely low and haven't pulled the main yet, then go for the reserve without cutting the main.)

And as others have said, ask a rigger or instructor to explain the rig to you. The more you know the gear, the safer you'll feel. I didn't understand how the RSL worked for my first jumps, and refused to release the RSL lock when I landed in a tree on my 2nd jump (ok, not quite sure I am translating what I did into correct English here - I did NOT cut the main, just disconnected the RSL. After all I was dangling about 10 m above ground.). The rigger wasn't too happy about this when they had to cut the main to get me down (it released the reserve, but no harm done else). If I hadn't been too afraid to touch ANYTHING due to fear for falling down I would at least have saved him a reserve pack ;-)

The good thing about the tree incident was that I got a throughout explaination of how the RSL and the cut system worked, which was useful :-)