brenthutch

Taking stock

Well Sports Fans, another year has come and gone so it is time to see how well my predictions fared.

CO2 levels and emissions will continue to rise

Check!

We will continue to use coal 

Check! (at a record level and increasing)

Renewables fail to replace fossil fuels 

Check! (They can’t even keep pace with the marginal increase in demand)

Hurricanes, floods, droughts and wildfires remain within historical ranges 

Check!

EVs continue to be a niche product largely for the upper middle class 

Check!

Global temperatures will fail to rise in response to record CO2

Check (didn’t even make the top five)

I could go on however it is time to go out for dinner, I’d say I had a pretty good year.

(edited)
43 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Well Sports Fans, another year has come and gone so it is time to see how well my predictions fared.

CO2 levels and emissions will continue to rise

Check!

We will continue to use coal 

Check! (at a record level and increasing)

Renewables fail to replace fossil fuels 

Check!

Check!

Check (didn’t even make the top five)

I could go on however it is time to go out for dinner, I’d say I had a pretty good year.

BH gloating over some half-truths that he won't be able to back up with data when challenged

Check, Check, motherfucking triple-Check!

Edited by lippy
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Put up or shut up.  

I'm not here to do your homework for you, you made some pretty big claims but nothing to back them up...I give it 50/50 you'll go paste some links that don't say what you claim they do.  

You got any stats on demand increase and the percentage generated from renewables vs fossil fuels?

I know some people in FL and CA who would disagree with that statement.

Define 'niche'. I'm sure as shit seeing quite a few more Teslas on the road these days (as a Musk fan I'm sure that fills you with great joy).  I've driven almost exclusively Mini's since 2010...I think my next vehicle will be the 2024 Cooper SE (2023 has some pretty shite range).

FFS, haven't you been schooled enough on that here???

4 minutes ago, lippy said:

I'm not here to do your homework for you, you made some pretty big claims but nothing to back them up...I give it 50/50 you'll go paste some links that don't say what you claim they do.  

You got any stats on 

I know some people in FL and CA who would disagree with that statement.

Looks like the drought in California might be ending 

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/54f9d8baac32496f6b5497b4bf7a277c3e2e6cc5625de69680e6169e7e38e9a8

18 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Link to the predictions you made a year ago. Let's see how well they line up with your post above.

I should be able to find that thread really easily.

Brent's "predictions" are worded really vaguely so he has TONS of wiggle room to say he's 'right'.

When I asked him to provide numbers, he evaded and evaded and finally left "to watch the football".

Just now, brenthutch said:

I asked for a link to your predictions from a year ago. Quite the delusion of grandeur if you think they are in The Guardian.

Should we take this a few steps slower and start with asking you to state your name?

(edited)

To be fair, predicting that fossil fuel use will increase isn't really a 'prediction', since none of us 'libs' are predicting otherwise...but somehow he massages his ego with that, along with some of his other 'predictions'.

What he proved incapable of doing is making actual quantifiable predictions about the global temperature anomaly.

Edited by olofscience

(edited)
7 minutes ago, olofscience said:

To be fair, predicting that fossil fuel use will increase isn't really a 'prediction', since none of us 'libs' are predicting otherwise...but somehow he massages his ego with that, along with some of his other 'predictions'.

What he proved incapable of doing is making actual quantifiable predictions about the global temperature anomaly.

I predicted no record warming…..and NOAA published….NO RECORD WARMING!

Check, check and mother f*****ng  triple check 

Edited by brenthutch

7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

I predicted no record warming…..and NOAA published….NO RECORD WARMING!

Check, check and mother f*****ng  triple check 

What are you talking about? 

1) No source, the NOAA hasn't yet published 2022's total global temperature anomaly in a format you can read.

2) The UK has just recorded its WARMEST YEAR ON RECORD. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64111625

3) Thousands of records have been shattered in a historic warm spell in Europe: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64111625

You're not playing chess brent...more like a toddler's blocks :rofl:

8 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Link to the predictions you made a year ago. Let's see how well they line up with your post above.

Here's a link to the discussion - as I mentioned they're not really "predictions" since they're so vague as to be completely useless.

I linked to the part where Brent misunderstands what the global temperature anomaly is, even though he had been talking about it so much. He refuses to make an actual prediction and runs off only a few posts later.

(edited)
3 hours ago, olofscience said:

What are you talking about? 

1) No source, the NOAA hasn't yet published 2022's total global temperature anomaly in a format you can read.

“According to NCEI's statistical analysis, the year 2022 is very likely to rank among the ten warmest years on record but a less than 1% chance to rank among the five warmest years on record.”

Edited by brenthutch

Só you’re willing to admit that the world is warmer than it used to be (all 10 of the hottest were in the last 25, and six of them were in the last 10 years.). Since none of the coldest ones happened after 1950, it’s the only conclusion. 

Wendy P. 

3 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

“According to NCEI's statistical analysis, the year 2022 is very likely to rank among the ten warmest years on record but a less than 1% chance to rank among the five warmest years on record.”

Still no link, and this is a forward-looking statement, which means the final numbers aren't out yet.

And since you can't do any number crunching to save your life, you'll have to wait.

AND even then, nobody even predicted 2022 to be the hottest year on record (even if it did turn out to be the hottest in the UK ever) - because of the 'double-dip' La Nina, which WAS predicted a year ago.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:03 PM, olofscience said:

Well here's another (unfortunate) prediction - some weather organisations have identified that there's a "double-dip" La Nina (which made 2021 cooler, among other effects)

So really, brent is making up arguments in his head that he's now claiming 'checkmate' against...

Just now, wmw999 said:

Só you’re willing to admit that the world is warmer than it used to be (all 10 of the hottest were in the last 25, and six of them were in the last 10 years.). Since none of the coldest ones happened after 1950, it’s the only conclusion. 

Wendy P. 

I’m also taller than I used to be. I stopped getting taller forty years ago, the planet stopped warming a decade ago.