1 1
billvon

Legal strategy for Colorado Springs shooter

Attorneys for Anderson Lee Aldrich are faced with an almost impossible challenge - keeping a mass murderer from life in prison.  He is going to be charged for five first-degree murders and five hate crimes.   The hate crimes will pretty much guarantee life in prison, even if he escapes that sentence for the five murders.

So they came up with an ingenious trick - claim he's nonbinary.  No one can verify this.  The accused doesn't have to testify - and even if he does he can plead the fifth if he is asked.  But since the court will address him as "they" the jury will hear it.  Bill Booth did the same thing when he changed the name of his company to "The Uninsured Relative Workshop" - that was done purely so the jury would hear that during the trial.

Then during closing arguments they can claim that it's absurd to suggest an LGBT person can commit a hate crime against other LGBT people, with no proof of said gender orientation offered.

I gotta say that's pretty ingenious.  I hope they fail, but I can appreciate the deviousness.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, billvon said:

I gotta say that's pretty ingenious.  I hope they fail, but I can appreciate the deviousness.

I can't (though I grudgingly get where you're coming from). Weaponising gender identity as a defense vector for someone who killed people explicitly for their gender identity/sexuality is obscene.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

His father already stated his relief that he's not gay.

Yeah I saw that.  But nonbinary isn't the same as gay.

And again the deviousness of this is pretty remarkable.  They don't have to do anything else; the assertion has been made.  Even if they screw up and he takes the stand AND his lawyers open the door by asking about it, he can always claim that he became nonbinary ten minutes before the shooting, and therefore it can't be a hate crime.

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Yeah I saw that.  But nonbinary isn't the same as gay.

And again the deviousness of this is pretty remarkable.  They don't have to do anything else; the assertion has been made.  Even if they screw up and he takes the stand AND his lawyers open the door by asking about it, he can always claim that he became nonbinary ten minutes before the shooting, and therefore it can't be a hate crime.

He will end up being Rittenhouse's running mate.

Not beating on you own "gender identity group" is a lame legal defense. Sure, his defense lawyers are required to throw out all possible alibis, but few judges or juries will take this claim seriously.

Funny how some of the most ardent "fag bashers" are later revealed to be closeted homosexuals themselves.

In a similar vein, some of the most out-spoken Evangelical preachers have been caught committing adultery or child molestation. Though to be honest, most accusations of child molestation involved teenaged girls ... but those girls were less than the age of majority.

Canadian prosecutors have ways of keeping the most violent criminals in prison for life. They just "stay" some accusations, meaning that when the criminal applies for parole, Crown prosecutors just offer try him for more crimes. At which time, the parole board declines to prosecute him, but also decline to release him. This tactic is especially convenient when the public does not want to hear the whole truth.

For example, it was clear to most of us that Willy Picton was just a fall-guy for the many other people involved in murdering drug-addled prostitutes at his pig farm in Port Coquitlam, near Vancouver, British Columbia. He not the brightest member of the Picton family, but he provided a convenient public face to the dozens of other family members, friends, bikers, police, etc. who knew what was going on, but hid evidence. Vancouver police had a rough idea o what was going on, but they were just glad that one group of criminals was killing off another group of criminals. The fact that many of the prostitutes were native women (lowest class in Canadian society) just made it easier for racist police to look the other way. Nobody wants to talk publically about all the snuff-films that were made at the pig farm.

Crown prosecutors (federal) tried Willy Picton for a few murders for which they had the best evidence. Then they "stayed" charges on another dozen murders for which they had less evidence.

13 hours ago, mistercwood said:

I can't (though I grudgingly get where you're coming from). Weaponising gender identity as a defense vector for someone who killed people explicitly for their gender identity/sexuality is obscene.

Hi mister,

IMO no more obscene than the Twinkie Defense:  Twinkie defense - Wikipedia

Harvey Milk - Wikipedia

Jerry Baumchen

2 hours ago, Slim King said:

Funny that an Old Fat Straight White Father . . .

You mean the woke spectator at a drag show?  A guy who runs a woke brewery?

Funny that an unarmed woke spectator - and a drag queen in heels - had no problem subduing this murderer in seconds.  But the heavily armed police force in Uvalde took over an hour, and gave him enough time to kill 19 kids.

• Like 1