AdD

Chest strap coming off in FF

Backtrackin at 7000ft in Eloy last week I looked down to see my chest strap flapping excessively, in the next two seconds it shook loose of the elastic band holding it and completely came out of the metal holder and trailed behind me. Wouldnt have believe this was possible with a properly routed strap but the angle of the relative wind during the back track allowed the strap in and out of the metal thingy to flap and work itself out without causing the tension of only pulling out to lock the strap holder. The band had been rather worn and loose in the first place which was the start of the problem.
I grabbed my right main lift web with my left hand and deployed around 4k . I guess I should have done it up but I was nervous about letting go of the harness so I did a few 360's so the jump wasn't totally wasted. This was a pretty funky experience.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

it shook loose of the elastic band holding it and completely came out of the metal holder and trailed behind me. Wouldnt have believe this was possible with a properly routed strap

Well, we agree on one thing...

What type of chest strap is it?

I do not believe band around the chest strap being worn and loose will be the cause of a "properly routed" chest strap to come out. Any riggres want to chime in on this?

First off I am in now way a rigger but it is my understanding that:

At the end, does the material it is made of double back over itself an inch or two? That would be the 2 inch thicker chest strap.

The 1 inch does not have this but I read the owner’s manuals of a Javelin that came with that strap and the routing/stowing procedures were a little different than the thicker strap.

It is hard for me to accept irregardless of the type of strap it is, had it been properly routed it would not have come loose unless done manually. If you are certain that the strap was in fact routed correctly, I would strongly advise not jumping that container again until you get it checked by a rigger and if is good to go then re-evaluate your attention to detail concerning proper routing/stowing of the type of chest strap you are utilizing and gear checks.

A chest strap loose in freefall is serious and could be deadly, please take some action in getting whatever the problem is corrected.

Stay safe dude…
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

Are you SURE it was routed correctly?

It is possible if you have a chest strap that does not have the double back. But not really likely.

The metal buckle requires friction to hold it. so if it were loose, it *could* work itself undone in theory.

However the most common reason is that it was not done correctly in the first place.

That being said, it is a good reason to make darn sure that your chest strap is tight, also to make sure that the keeper is in good shape.

Also, I have seen some jumpers double back the strap before they stow it. And have the strap against their chest.

Interesting situation...glad you didn't die. Seems like you did the best thing you could.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

If the strap was correctly fastened and stowed, and it came undone - I'd never jump that container again.

There are plenty of containers available that perform as required regardless of the relative wind.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

If you are still in Eloy, march you rig over to Rigging Innovations (their factory is on the airport).

Sounds like they forgot to turn and sew the free end of the chest strap, which is odd, because they standardized on folding Type 8 chest strap ends - before they opened the factory - more than 20 years ago.

Yes, it was type 17. It was my friend's rig, but if it was mine, I definately would have had the end sewn over itself. I prefer to yank my chest strap open under canopy and that little bit on the end makes it so much easier since it won't slip through the friction adapter. I prefer type 8? "std" chest straps myself though.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I have been told by a manufacturer who does it this way that folding over type 17 webbing does not fit through their current chest strap hardware well.

And I have seen a folded over single layer chest strap come undone in freefall while properly routed and stowed.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Misrouting a cheststrap is easy to do, just look away as you thread the chest strap.I have a rule for threading the chest strap. PAY ATTENTION, LOOK at the webbing and buckle, WATCH the webbing as it is being routed properly, LOOK and WATCH during this one simple step to donning the rig EVERYTIME without fail. Do not be distracted while routing cheststrap. Do not look away until the end of the webbing has been routed through the buckle and cinched. It's also easy to stow brakes improperly by doing just the same sort of thing. While rigging, it is easy to get distracted. There are definate parts of rigging that I will not allow distractions, the world can wait.

While rigging, it is easy to get distracted. There are definate parts of rigging that I will not allow distractions, the world can wait.

When I rig I will not answer the phone or the door. There is nothing more important at that moment than what I am doing.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I have been told by a manufacturer who does it this way that folding over type 17 webbing does not fit through their current chest strap hardware well.

I have Wings witha Type 17 chest strap, and its folded over, and itr fits fine in the buckle.
Remster

Misrouting a cheststrap is easy to do, just look away as you thread the chest strap.I have a rule for threading the chest strap. PAY ATTENTION, LOOK at the webbing and buckle, WATCH the webbing as it is being routed properly, LOOK and WATCH during this one simple step to donning the rig EVERYTIME without fail. Do not be distracted while routing cheststrap. Do not look away until the end of the webbing has been routed through the buckle and cinched. It's also easy to stow brakes improperly by doing just the same sort of thing. While rigging, it is easy to get distracted. There are definate parts of rigging that I will not allow distractions, the world can wait.

I have quite a vivid imagination so this worked well for me.

Sit back and close your eyes and as vividly as you can, visualize in your mind watching your rig under canopy by itself as you fall away from it.

Intense…
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I have quite a vivid imagination so this worked well for me.

Sit back and close your eyes and as vividly as you can, visualize in your mind watching your rig under canopy by itself as you fall away from it.

Intense…

That works for me too. There was a fatality maybe 5 years ago or so that really stuck in my head. One of the most beautiful women I've met in skydiving forgot to thread her chest strap before a freefly skydive. She came out of the rig quite high (during the skydive, well above deployment altitude). :(

Imagining the last 30+ seconds of her life was enough to turn me into a chest-strap freak. :|

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)