kirrz

Chop- Jump 10

(tried to pull ripcord with both hands)

You can reach your main pc with both hands?
And how did that work for your body position while still in freefall?

Be safe
Ed

From above:

Chest-mount ripcord/spring-loaded PC/SOS system.

Scars remind us that the past is real

Chest-mount ripcord/spring-loaded PC/SOS system.

So, is it just the ripcord that is mounted on the front of her harness or is the reserve there too? (Having a hard time picturing.) Is this an older set-up, a type of rig, or a preference?

Why would you want one over the other?

It looks like a normal rig, with a couple of differences:

The pilot chute is packed on top of the main, like in a reserve.
The pilot chute has a big spring in it, just like a reserve.
The main is activated by pulling a ripcord, just like a....

There is only one emergency handle - it both cuts away the main and deploys the reserve.

The reasoning behind using it? The student can see their ripcord, instead of having to reach for something behind their back. Emergency procedures are simplified. Handy bonus: you can put an FXC on the main.

Downside? Once you're off student gear and buy a sport rig, you need to retrain your EPs.

There may be other issues; I'm not a rated instructor.

It looks like a normal rig, with a couple of differences:

The pilot chute is packed on top of the main, like in a reserve.
The pilot chute has a big spring in it, just like a reserve.
The main is activated by pulling a ripcord, just like a....

There is only one emergency handle - it both cuts away the main and deploys the reserve.

(to finish that thought)
...Main ripcord is usually mounted one of two places:
- same position as a BOC hacky or
- outboard of the right main lift web

I have jumped both in my early days, and from the description, I suspect this was the later.

Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

This Saturday on my 10th jump (

CONGRATS!!!

I have more than double that number before my first reserve ride!!! ;-)

Jump #23. One of the instructors helpped me get the rig packed (he packed the throwout PC). VERY hard pull... Only thought was "I can't believe I really have to do this..." Same thought that you expressed... Uncertainty of the correctness of the decision, but not of "how" to execute the decision.

Cause: balled up PC in a cordura pouch
How Bad: took 2 people w/ 2 hands each to pull it.
Lost: reserve pack, freebag, Sentinal (AAD) charge (I beat it, but not by enough).
Cost to me: 1/2 cost of the freebag and AAD reload.
Offered the rigger a bottle, but he said he didn't drink.

CONGRATS!!
Jim

I think it's different for everyone but if it ever happens, just stay cool. You know (whether you believe it or not) how to save your own life as best as you can. If you didn't, your subconscious wouldn't let you jump off a plane.

Very good point. This must be why I don't get overly nervous up there, but instead... just enough to make sure I touch my handles a few times on the way up and just before I get to the door.

Happy jumping this weekend!!! Yipee!

I'm sure there is a way to do it, but I couldn't figure it out. I tried to get my girlfriend's tandem video off the DVD so that she could send it to her friends, and I wasn't able to convert it so that it would work on anyones computer. You might need to find the videographer and see if he can copy the original file for you.

If you know of a way to make it work straight from the DVD, let me know.
Convo between my friend and his ex...
Nick - "Chad talked me into skydiving."
Her - "I thought you didn't like extreme sports"
Nick - "Dating you WAS an extreme sport."

went straight to emergency procedures

An intelligent thing to do.

My first reserve ride was at jump 119. I was actually a much more calm jumper after that. I knew that I was capable of handling an issue should it arise and that my reserve would work.

I thought it was really scary that chopping and deploying the reserve with a cool head on low jump numbers was regarded as somewhat extraordinary

I don't think the excitement was due to your actions being "extraordinary" as much as you passing another milestone as a jumper. New people (tandems) on the DZ are usually treated OK but nothing special. Then one of them will start the student program and people start to warm up to them. Every success, every failure and every adrenaline rush you experience has been experienced by the regular experienced jumpers. "They have been there". I think the excitement shown was for an AFF student doing what she was suppossed to do under trying circumstances. In this case a high speed malfunction.

What you experienced was the building of "camaraderie". It is a great thing to share.

On student gear, you should NEVER pay.

A few years ago when I did AFF at Skydance in Nor Cal, the DZO would not only make the student pay for the repack, but also make them pay for the handles. ;)

Be safe
Ed

I just completed my 10th jump/AFP level 5, on my level 4 I had my first cutaway due to a spinning line twist. I had to pay for the reserve repack and the cost to get the main out of a tree so all in all it was 100.00 and would have had to pay for any damages or possibly replacing the main. As you can see I'm on student status, however I did pack the parachute I jumped. Later investigation revealed that a steering toggle came unstowed on opening. I wasn't mad or upset about paying, felt as though it was my fault for the malfunction although it was packed correctly. Does anyone believe that I shouldn't have had to pay for the repack?

My biggest problem with this whole question is that I have NEVER seen it stated up front for students or experienced renters.

BTW - Sailplane lessons were lacking the same information, but with rental (powered) aircraft they tell you up front what the insurance covers, what it doesn't, and where to get supplimental renter's insurance.

Jim
- paid for part of my reserve ride, despite the problem being caused by the packer
- didn't pay for a control-link failure in a sailplane.
Both times I was unlicensed... and neither time was it spelled out before hand what I was responsible for...

My reserve ride was jump #6. Very hard opening ended up with two out. They were ok briefly and then started to split, so I chopped. I didn't pay for anything more than the jump.

Chris

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is two wolves attempting to have a sheep for dinner and finding a well-informed, well-armed sheep."