4 4
carrier louis paul

one more Icon malfunction

On 1/21/2024 at 4:00 AM, BMAC615 said:

Is there any information whether or not the reserve and main were “full fit?”

Even if they were "full fit", but inside the allowed sizes, that's not supposed to happen.I know the rigger who packed it and I'm willing to bet that the canopies are the correct size, the loop was the correct length and treated with silicon.

Now, you can say that the picture doesn't represent "a real life scenario" because the person on the picture doesn't wear the legstraps. To which I would answer, I'll never jump a rig where the reserve deployment depends on how tight you have your legstraps.

• Like 4

(edited)
6 hours ago, Deyan said:

Even if they were "full fit", but inside the allowed sizes, that's not supposed to happen.I know the rigger who packed it and I'm willing to bet that the canopies are the correct size, the loop was the correct length and treated with silicon.

Now, you can say that the picture doesn't represent "a real life scenario" because the person on the picture doesn't wear the legstraps. To which I would answer, I'll never jump a rig where the reserve deployment depends on how tight you have your legstraps.

My engineering mind wonders about some not yet mentioned factors - the bulk, friction, and such that a skyhook adds, and the bulk that a lot of ballistic fabric and such has.  Just throwing it out there.

Edited by sundevil777

On 1/23/2024 at 5:38 AM, Deyan said:

I agree. Just wondering if the issue is container bulk or size of the reserve PC Cap. In other words, is this a flaw with the recommended canopy sizes or is this a container design flaw?

5 minutes ago, BMAC615 said:

I agree. Just wondering if the issue is container bulk or size of the reserve PC Cap. In other words, is this a flaw with the recommended canopy sizes or is this a container design flaw?

IMO, it's a combination between the cap size, the side flaps being sewn too far in the corner, the pin cover stiffener too thick and tucked too far in. I've measured 70 mm being tucked in on one of the NexGen sizes. It's ridiculous! Being "freefly friendly" is important, but "reserve deployment friendly" is importanter. Pardon my French 

Interesting fact is that Aerodyne has 2 cap size  RPCs (I believe 5 and 6 inches) and 2 types of cap shapes (flat one and concave), but unlike UPT they haven't published (to my knowledge) a guide which cap size goes into which container size. 

• Like 2