Acole6357

Want to learn to jump solo

So ive completed my first tandem jump and loved the rush so much i want to take the next step towards skydiving solo,whats the next step as well how many tandem jump do i need before moving on to the next step.i red somewhere i needed two more but not sure.i did my first jump a skydive Cross Keys in NJ and loved it there,just sucks its a bit far from where i live,my local drop zone only does tandem jumps.

I'm in the same boat as you. 1 tandem and it was awesome. Your next steps towards solo depends on the drop zone. This site has a good database of drop zones. Typically you will need to take a ground course the start jumping with an instructor. There seems to be two main paths towards solo... Static line and assisted Free fall. Static line was the traditional method of learning and it seems to been largely replaced with AFF.

I'm doing a tandem progression where I'll do USPA category a thru c jumps while attached to an instructor then 10 minutes of indoor skydiving then jumping with instructor holding on to me.

Edited to correct typos.
------------------------------------
Scientist and Physicist still do not understand gravity... Jumping out of an airplane is my attempt to help them in their quest to explain gravity.

Different DZs require different numbers 1 to 5) of tandems before teaching you solo skydiving skills.

The first tandem gets you past that first HUGE psychological step. It halves fear so that during your second tandem jump you half as scared and have more brains cells available for learning new skills.

By the time you have 3 tandem jumps, you have learned most of what you are even going to learn on tandem.
Indoor wind tunnels are great at teaching the basics of freefall, but sooner or later you are going to need to do a few (6 to 10) jumps accompanied by an instructor(s) to combine all those different skills.

When you visit your local AFF dropzone, bring along your certificate as proof of your first tandem jump.

There's advice that they used to give to student pilots that I think applies to becoming a skydiver now.
A layoff, even a short one, can be expensive. If you have to wait a couple of weeks or more between jumps because you're broke it can set you back because then when you do get paid it will rain for the next couple of weekends. You don't want to have to do jumps over, it's expensive and a good way to get out of the mood and quit.
Talk to the DZ and come up with a reasonable estimate of what it will cost to get off student status then, even if it means taking out a personal loan, get that amount and bank it for the jumps.

There's advice that they used to give to student pilots that I think applies to becoming a skydiver now.
A layoff, even a short one, can be expensive. If you have to wait a couple of weeks or more between jumps because you're broke it can set you back because then when you do get paid it will rain for the next couple of weekends. You don't want to have to do jumps over, it's expensive and a good way to get out of the mood and quit.
Talk to the DZ and come up with a reasonable estimate of what it will cost to get off student status then, even if it means taking out a personal loan, get that amount and bank it for the jumps.

Excellent advice... IMO. I am prepaying little by little. Meaning I have my first jump paid for and whenever I have extra money I call the DZ and have them pull more money off my card. Kinda like a forced savings, then once I have 3 paid for I'll go and jump those three and hopefully bring money for my forth jump to start the process over again.
------------------------------------
Scientist and Physicist still do not understand gravity... Jumping out of an airplane is my attempt to help them in their quest to explain gravity.

wasatchrider

I guess the ti's at this dropzone are not trying or at least letting people know how to continue in the sport.
People wonder why most never continue after their tandem.

I can imagine that as a TI you just give up on trying to separate the tandem students from the droves of tandem passengers - especially on very busy days.
Luckily we have the internet. :)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Thanks for all of the great reply's all helpful info,im going to end up calling skydive Cross keys and talking to them about getting certified and the next steps in doing so.but indeed i hear skyding can get very expensive so im trying to save up as much funds as i can.but i really want to learn to solo as yhe rush of tandem was not enough lol.

They actually do a good job of explaining the options available to continue further in the sport, and are usually willing to answer whatever question prospective students might have. My guess is most people are still buzzing to the point of either not hearing, or not remembering the post jump conversations as it might seem like a whirlwind of emotion and adrenaline, lol.

I had a chance to speak with the OP prior to his jump and after. For someone new to the sport, there is a lot to take in during a single conversation. My advise to him was to talk to as many people possible and do as much research as he could to help inform himself going forward. I'm glad to hear he has decided to continue.
Sun, Fun, and Blue Ones

Respect Existence, Or Expect Resistance!

When I did AFF there, I knew from the start that I wanted to get licensed. I did 3 Tandems in one day, came back later that week to take ground school, and took a packing lesson a few days later. All the while, learning as much as I could from many different sources, including here! It definitely helped build a strong base of knowledge that made learning from the instructors easier. (It's important to note that what your instructor tells you should be the final authority during your training!) After that, you wear your own rig and there are several levels to go through. Each level adds progressively more responsibilities with less instructor assistance. Provided you pass every level on the first attempt... the 12th jump overall is the first where you leave the plane all on your own. The 13th is a Hop N' Pop usually from about 4,000 feet. After that.... your considered an unsupervised student. You will still need to do some coached jumps and 25 total to get your A license.
Sun, Fun, and Blue Ones

Respect Existence, Or Expect Resistance!

Acole6357

Thanks for all of the great reply's all helpful info,im going to end up calling skydive Cross keys and talking to them about getting certified and the next steps in doing so.but indeed i hear skyding can get very expensive so im trying to save up as much funds as i can.but i really want to learn to solo as yhe rush of tandem was not enough lol.

I would strongly recommend against calling. Make the time, go over, and spend some time with them. It will make all the difference in your results.

Just an FYI you don't "need" to do any tandems before you can jump solo. You can do aff. iad, or static line without ever doing a tandem. I have never done a tandem. But I started 36 years ago;)

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

keithbar

Just an FYI you don't "need" to do any tandems before you can jump solo. You can do aff. iad, or static line without ever doing a tandem. I have never done a tandem. But I started 36 years ago;)

The DZ he's going to may require tandems before the FJC. I haven't been to Cross Keys yet so I don't know. Might be something he should ask.