miss3sixty

freefly unsafe??

I am a newbie still jumping the HUGE student 260 and 210 canopies. I aim to move to a 190 for a bit and eventually jump my sisters 170 when she gets her new gear.
Although she has had no trouble with this rig , it is not considered freefly safe by some people due to the old style and velcro bits I believe!

She had jumped this rig over 100 times and without fail, the reserve flap always comes open whether belly or free flying, but does not cause any problems.
Its a naro container with a spinaker main

i am really into freeflying and really want to jump the rig but dont want to tempt fate and risk an unwanted opening etc.

I need to take this seriously I feel, and advice from experienced freefylers would be greatly appreciated.

Loving every second of my new hobby!!
Miss3sixty

Skydiving- it has its ups and downs

but dont want to tempt fate and risk an unwanted opening etc.

I think you answered your own question, but you may want to share the type of system and year of manufacture if your looking for opinions from here.

The best advice you can get about the FF friendliness of this harness is that of your local DZ Instructors/Riggers who can look at it and discuss it with you directly.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Sounds like you already know what's up.

This is not a knitting club, the consequenses for poor choices can be quite grave.

If you jump her rig, practice all of the practical stuff you need to learn anyways. Diving down to a formation, docks and tracking, tracking, tracking.

But if you want to start freeflying, get the right equipment for the job.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

If your sister's rig has the reserve flap coming open on every single jump, regardless of orientation, she needs to have it looked at by a rigger immediately. I am not familiar with the Naro container, but I am guessing that the reserve flap is held down with velcro instead of tuck-tabs. If so, simply replacing the velcro will likley fix the problem, and should cost very little money.

I cannot stress enough how important it is that this be addressed. an unexpected reserve deployment at freefly speed is one of the most dangerous events that can happen to a skydiver, because even a reserve in excellent condition could easily be damaged or destroyed on opening. Even if the canopy were to open fine, it could open so hard that the jumper can be hurt (whiplash, broken bones, compressed spine...)

Because reserve pins are held very securely, and are low-profile, the odds of an open flap causing a problem are pretty low on any given jump, but it's important to remember that it only takes a single incident to end in disaster. Think of it like a main malfunction... most people could get away without a reserve 100 or 1000 or even 5000 times in a row, but would you ever go without? (excluding BASE)
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

... the Naro container, ... guessing that the reserve flap is held down with velcro instead of tuck-tabs.

Actually, both velcro and tuck tabs are used, but it's not so obvious.

The pin cover flap has tuck tabs on each side, and the tongue slides into a pocket on the midflap. The top of the pin cover flap is sewn to a yoke-wide* piece, a little like the pin cover flap on a Mirage G4.

The most likely cause of the pin flap opening is air getting under the wide yoke piece, which pulls the tongue out of its pocket; the small side tuck tabs are not up to the job after that.

The yoke piece of the pin cover flap has velcro on it, to secure the riser covers.
-- make sure the velcro is in good condition
-- pay extra attention during packing to make sure the yoke piece is stretched tight and held against the top of the reserve container by the riser cover velcro.
-- no sit-flying in this rig!

Mark

*yoke = the wide part of the rig, going around the back of your neck.
**yolk = the yellow part of an egg. "yolk-wide" is about an inch and a half for a Grade A hen's egg.

Bloody good point!

there are many basic rel-work belly skills that I really want to and need to work on.

Trouble is, everyone at our dropzone wants to freefly when they jump with other people. Plus, I nearly always sit fly when i make a solo jump as we were introduced to it as students on about jump 9 and its a natural exit and freefall position for me.

I think I will start to down-size, carry on what Im doing with the sit-flying, then jump her rig and be sensible for a bit and practise all the skills you mentioned and hire the DZ's 170 if I feel I need to freefly,

Cheers hun,
Miss3sixty

Thanks for the rig-specific advice!

I have been talking to my sister, and she has started pushing the flap in really tight and for the last few jumps, it has nearly always stayed in place,which is great news.
(she did mention that one time it came open on a belly jump but stayed in place for the sit jumps so it sounds like it has a mind of its own! )

I will discuss you advice with my sister, as is sounds like you have good knowledge of this type of rig,

Thank you for taking the time to help me,

Rachel
Miss3sixty