1 1
brenthutch

The world goes Green

1 minute ago, Zoe Phin said:

What is wrong with you people?

All you have to do is shine some IR from some source onto CO2, Water Vapor, Metal, Wood, whatever, and then demonstrate a rise in temperature at the source.

Interesting random and chaotic experiment design with no reasoning given for the choices whatsoever.

Waiting on the answers for:

• how photons failing to warm something up isn't a violation of conservation laws
  • how venus' and earth's histories are different

11 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

Billvon,

I can cut into an aluminum can with a frozen knife. I don't need to raise its temperature to cut.

You said, and I quote, "Energy travels ONLY from hot to cold. We call it heat."

Lasers are cooler than the things they are heating.  I am sure you are aware that lasers aren't solid objects, but transfer energy via EM radiation.  Therefore your statement is false.  In the case of a laser cutting metal, energy travels from cold to hot.

Can you learn from this mistake?

olof,

You're the one that believes the sun-warmed surface radiates IR to CO2 and then this somehow makes the Earth warmer.

And yet there is not a single lab experiment to prove it...

You also seem to think objects of similar size and mass currently residing close to one another MUST have the same thermal history.

8 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

All you have to do is shine some IR from some source onto CO2, Water Vapor, Metal, Wood, whatever, and then demonstrate a rise in temperature at the source.

Sure, you can do that.  Here's how:

1) Take an incandescent bulb.  These are basically black body radiators.  Put it in orbit on the shadowed side of the Earth (to avoid solar heating.)  Turn it on.  Observe its temperature.

2) Repeat the experiment.  This time enclose it in a clear glass envelope with two layers.  Pump the space between the layers full of CO2.  Turn on the light.  Observe its temperature.  It will be warmer.

11 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

What is wrong with you people?

The Sun is doing just that every day. Shining IR down upon the planet. Some of it is reflected, some of that leaves the Earth some is stopped. The amount stopped is increasing. Bafflegab from you will not change that.

"Put it in orbit on the shadowed side of the Earth (to avoid solar heating.)  Turn it on.  Observe its temperature."

Maybe we should wait till we reach the center of the galaxy?

"It will be warmer."

You claim.

"Here's a simple one."

This experiment doesn't show IR lamp getting hotter. They are not demonstrating the greenhouse effect.

They also don't show you that a bottle with Argon (non-GHG) would get hotter. A bottle with Krypton (non-GHG) would get even hotter.

41 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

You're the one that believes the sun-warmed surface radiates IR to CO2 and then this somehow makes the Earth warmer.

What? Stop making things up and answer my questions.

41 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

You also seem to think objects of similar size and mass currently residing close to one another MUST have the same thermal history.

I didn't, I'm just asking WHY they should be different, and HOW it's different. All you can muster is "they're different" and give no explanation or proof.

Pathetic.

3 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

But the sun-warmed surface emitting IR to CO2 does...

The complete irrelevance of that to the temperature of the referenced IR lamp shows just how deliberately misleading and obtuse you are being and now ends my participation in your farcical intercourse in this forum. 

Despite the fact that I posted a peer-reviewed article demonstrating that outgoing longwave radiation has been INCREASING, people here still believe it is decreasing, because their religion demands it.

https://psl.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/data/timeseries/timeseries.pl?ntype=1&var=OLR&level=2000&lat1=-90&lat2=90&lon1=0&lon2=360&iseas=0&mon1=0&mon2=1&iarea=1&typeout=2&Submit=Create+Timeseries

Despite the fact that I posted a peer-reviewed article demonstrating that outgoing longwave radiation has been INCREASING, people here still believe it is decreasing, because their religion demands it.

Nobody said that, so stop making things up.

You can't answer simple questions - HOW and WHY is Venus' history different from earth's?

2 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

https://psl.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/data/timeseries/timeseries.pl?ntype=1&var=OLR&level=2000&lat1=-90&lat2=90&lon1=0&lon2=360&iseas=0&mon1=0&mon2=1&iarea=1&typeout=2&Submit=Create+Timeseries

That link goes to a chart with no explanation at all. It is not a peer reviewed article at all, just more bafflegab.

2 minutes ago, Zoe Phin said:

Bilvon,

I don't know where you got a temperature for your laser. How much power does it consume and what it the diameter of the beam?

Zoe, it's my laser and it's 120 watts power output, beam diameter is focused to as small as I can make it - usually around 0.1mm.

But you're avoiding my simple questions.

Edit: temperature is kept to around 40 degrees C by water cooling (water chiller) - if it went about 100C then the water would boil.

Edited by olofscience

2 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

This is not really that much of a fun place for Smartypants. Bullshit doesn't go far here. But I bet the troll who sent her to us is having a good laugh.

Oh well, I'll take that as her running out of answers. She's just reduced to running away and looking for the next person to scam.

Just now, Zoe Phin said:

There's Velikovsky's theory - Venus joined us later.

Any evidence for that?

And then there's NASA's explanation of your question: <crickets>

No, the crickets are from you.

NASA's explanation of my question is the temperature difference between Venus and Earth is due to the greenhouse effect.