Heavymessin

Moto Helmets

Hi all,
I have a KTM 990sm, and was thinking of killing 2 birds etc, by getting a modern modular helmet,Shark Drak (Shark 'Raw' in U.S) in particular, that I could also use to jump with.
I like the idea of a well protected Noggin, and a lot of skydiving helmets seem a bit flimsy.
I have seen some posts on this form back in 2003, but things have moved on quite considerably in helmet design and materials since then.
Does anyone jump with a light weight, modern moto lid?
Thanks for any help.

Hey,
I jump at London Parachute school. great bunch of people.
I'm still using their gear, and will do till i finish AFF lv 8, but as I may be getting a new moto lid, I was wondering if it's an option...
The Cookie Comp G2-3 look good as well, but dont know the protection level, plus the Shark lid looks Bad Ass!

Years ago most if not all skydivers wore motorcycle helmets. They were heavy but what did we know! ALL our gear was heavy. This was well before any full face helmets were around though. Visibility from the old helmets was just fine. I can't think of a modern full face moto helmet that would be as good. I'd be inclined to look into an open faced one.

Jon

Heavymessin

Hi all,
I have a KTM 990sm, and was thinking of killing 2 birds etc, by getting a modern modular helmet,Shark Drak

Looking at the web page, I can't immediately see anything about it that would mean you would not be allowed to jump it in the UK. Could be doable.

However, a couple of things:

1) depending on how much of it can be removed (that chin protector in particular, but also the goggle/visor setup), it might count as a 'full face' skydiving helmet, which are limited to B license and above right now due to concerns over peripheral and downward visibility. The other thing that isn't clear is snaggability - you want to be super careful of anything that might catch a line, for example (though it looks superficially OK on that front).

2) it looks a lot smaller than most bike helmets I've seen, but still bulkier than modern skydiving gear. In general, you want as much neck mobility as possible to see all around you. Would want to see one in person.

TL;DR: You might well be allowed to (depending on the fullface thing and your license), but you might not want to once you did a bit more skydiving?
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I ride, quite a bit, and own several moto helmets. I also skydive with an open face and a closed face skydiving helmet. I can tell you that the skydiving specific helmets are MUCH better suited to the sport than any moto helmet. Much lighter (huge factor if your opening is at all abrupt), much quieter (freefall speeds much faster than normal motorcycle speeds) and way better visibility (field of view).

I personally wouldn't recommend it, I'd rather a cheapo Pro-tec over a moto helmet until I could afford a nice Cookie or similar.