wmw999

Two minute video about African slave trade

Here

This was done by some people at the University of Richmond, I believe. I saw it at Montpelier, Madison's home.

Been touring Founding Father homes. We should be proud of these men, and realize the influence of social context on people. Madison never freed a slave, and while Jefferson did free ten (out of the 700 or so he owned during his lifetime), he didn't free their spouses.

Neither thought slavery was good, or even right given that whole "all men are created equal" thing they'd been working on. But it was there, and they participated.

Neither facet changes the other. Just remember that every person has multiple facets, even Hillary and Trump (:o:P). Caricatures are only in others' eyes. And the best person to learn about someone else from is that person, not the narrative you construct about them.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Here

This was done by some people at the University of Richmond, I believe. I saw it at Montpelier, Madison's home.

Been touring Founding Father homes. We should be proud of these men, and realize the influence of social context on people. Madison never freed a slave, and while Jefferson did free ten (out of the 700 or so he owned during his lifetime), he didn't free their spouses.

Neither thought slavery was good, or even right given that whole "all men are created equal" thing they'd been working on. But it was there, and they participated.

Neither facet changes the other. Just remember that every person has multiple facets, even Hillary and Trump (:o:P). Caricatures are only in others' eyes. And the best person to learn about someone else from is that person, not the narrative you construct about them.

Wendy P.

Since Negroes were not considered to be the same species by the framers of the Constitution, 'all men' was not deemed applicable to them.

How does this differ from "guest workers" in Arabia?
How does this differ from "dancers" who were recruited Russia or the Ukraine?
How does this differ from some of Boko Haram's shenanigans?

Old Native American proverb: before you criticize your enemy, walk a mile in his moccasins. Then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!

riggerrob

How does this differ from "guest workers" in Arabia?
How does this differ from "dancers" who were recruited Russia or the Ukraine?
How does this differ from some of Boko Haram's shenanigans?

Old Native American proverb: before you criticize your enemy, walk a mile in his moccasins. Then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!

Huh?
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

In its level of documentation, and ongoing impact on US culture. All are bad, and I'm not trying to say those aren't.

Interestingly, Brazil (where I grew up and still have family and friends) shows a LOT of traffic, too. Slavery didn't end there until 1888. In the 1960's my (Brazilian) school still taught that it wasn't all THAT bad because most owners were fairly humane. But there wasn't ever Jim Crow, or the war, or Reconstruction. There's discrimination, but it's more economic than racial. However, as in the US, your chances of being poor seem to correlate with African or Native heritage.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

In its level of documentation, and ongoing impact on US culture. All are bad, and I'm not trying to say those aren't.

Interestingly, Brazil (where I grew up and still have family and friends) shows a LOT of traffic, too. Slavery didn't end there until 1888. In the 1960's my (Brazilian) school still taught that it wasn't all THAT bad because most owners were fairly humane. But there wasn't ever Jim Crow, or the war, or Reconstruction. There's discrimination, but it's more economic than racial. However, as in the US, your chances of being poor seem to correlate with African or Native heritage.

Wendy P.

I had no idea there was so much slave traffic going to Brazil.

Here's another video that was linked from the youtube page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NXC4Q_4JVg

What I wonder about is the different reactions of groups. You'd be hard pressed to find many, if any, group of people who haven't been royally screwed over during the last couple of centuries. But some seem to take the attitude that success is the best revenge. They not only become part of society they actually help mold it. While a few take the attitude "My ancestors got screwed over and someone needs to make it right." And it's a self-fulfilling thing since waiting for someone else to lift you up, no matter how much they might try, doesn't work all that well so you have generation after generation where things actually get worse.
I wonder if anyone has done actual scientific research on this.

Bob_Church

What I wonder about is the different reactions of groups. You'd be hard pressed to find many, if any, group of people who haven't been royally screwed over during the last couple of centuries. But some seem to take the attitude that success is the best revenge. They not only become part of society they actually help mold it. While a few take the attitude "My ancestors got screwed over and someone needs to make it right." And it's a self-fulfilling thing since waiting for someone else to lift you up, no matter how much they might try, doesn't work all that well so you have generation after generation where things actually get worse.

Are you trying to make a point that black people have been doing nothing but waiting for other people to give them a better life? You know we're not even half-way through a single generation in which black people in the US were legally denied equality, right? And that's just in terms of legality. And that was just 100 years after there was a war over whether they could be used as farm animals.

> They not only become part of society they actually help mold it.

I see pretty much all groups trying to do that.

But the majority often doesn't like that; they demand that they "melt" into a "melting pot" rather than help mold society. This has happened innumerable times. Even before the US was the US, Ben Franklin wrote long screeds on how the evil, dark-skinned Germans and Dutch were taking over the US while refusing to melt:

"Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a Colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them, and will never adopt our Language or Customs, any more than they can acquire our Complexion?"

Same happened to the Chinese (evil) the Japanese (faithless enemies - put them all in prison camps!) the Irish (all drunks; Irish need not apply) and the Italians (all mobsters bringing crime to the US.) And of course the blacks (lazy and shiftless.) Today it's become Muslims (terrorists) and Mexicans (criminals and rapists.)

But those groups have all molded society. From the Germans we have kindergarten, frankfurters and Budweiser. From the Mexicans we have foods, festivals and even new parts to our language. From blacks we have traffic lights, blues, rap and hip-hop. And so on and so forth. We all benefit from how all those groups have shaped our society.

DJL

***What I wonder about is the different reactions of groups. You'd be hard pressed to find many, if any, group of people who haven't been royally screwed over during the last couple of centuries. But some seem to take the attitude that success is the best revenge. They not only become part of society they actually help mold it. While a few take the attitude "My ancestors got screwed over and someone needs to make it right." And it's a self-fulfilling thing since waiting for someone else to lift you up, no matter how much they might try, doesn't work all that well so you have generation after generation where things actually get worse.

Are you trying to make a point that black people have been doing nothing but waiting for other people to give them a better life? You know we're not even half-way through a single generation in which black people in the US were legally denied equality, right? And that's just in terms of legality. And that was just 100 years after there was a war over whether they could be used as farm animals.

Groups, not races.

When society and the government actively hold you back, it's hard to make progress.

I'm lucky my ancestors were allowed to finance home loans and not have to be on the other side of the fence or river by sundown every day or risk being strung up in public.

normiss

When society and the government actively hold you back, it's hard to make progress.

I'm lucky my ancestors were allowed to finance home loans and not have to be on the other side of the fence or river by sundown every day or risk being strung up in public.

The people I'm thinking about are relatives of mine. So, unless there's something I don't know it's not about being black.

Bob_Church

***When society and the government actively hold you back, it's hard to make progress.

The people I'm thinking about are relatives of mine. So, unless there's something I don't know it's not about being black.

So you're not talking about any group associated with this video? Who are the people you speak of?

DJL

******When society and the government actively hold you back, it's hard to make progress.

So you're not talking about any group associated with this video? Who are the people you speak of?

Slavery is used as a reason to wait, and black leaders encourage it. They live off the misery of the people they are supposed to be helping.
Is this wrong, or is it just wrong to say it. I see the same thing in groups in the white community, so it's not a race thing but it is keeping large amounts of people trapped in misery.

This country used to have a middle class. Middle class people would work in the factories, or drive the trucks supplying those factories or moving products. Working at the restaurants, and the list goes on.
In the 50s, 60s, and 70s people in the US decided that it was wrong to make products in a way that just dumped the pollution straight into the river or into the sky. So laws were passed against it. And that was good, but it made products more expensive, which in itself would be ok except that we never made law against importing products made that way. So now a handful of the very richest get even more rich by importing and selling products produced in ways that create incredible amounts of pollution, killing the planet, and seriously exploited labor, killing America's middle class.
I don't know if it's coincidence or racism, but we've killed America's middle class just as the Black community was moving into it.
That is the problem. Not slavery, despite what well off Black students at Ohio University want to believe, it's the destruction of a segment of our population which their parents had joined. Now what is there to do? The jobs have been shipped off to other countries. We read books like "The Jungle" and get a good feeling for having done away wth those days but in reality the only difference is the people who are screwed over live in another country and have different names.
But how many so-called Black leaders have fought that battle instead of going on about an abhorrent practice that ended over a century ago? And which would help the people they claim to be helping more? Good jobs, or waiting all their lives for restitution.
And it's not a race thing, I see it in the white community in Appalachia. But I think Blacks are getting the worst of it.

normiss

So, unless there's something I don't know it's not about being black.

:P

Just native american and irish mutt. As far as I know. The only data on my ancestors is from West Virginia prison records and those tend to be skimpy.
My second wife was native american and seriously into it, to the point that when we broke up I honestly kept expecting an arrow to the back. And I'm not saying I didn't deserve it. Her relatives are from the Malta Ohio area and we did a demo there once. It was amazing. You had to see it to believe it, but blue eyed blond haired black people and other variations were everywhere. I't was seriously cool and if you ever get a chance check the place out. Make it during any of their festivals. Otherwise you'll just find empty streets.
I always suspected that the reason her father wouldnt talk about his relatives was that she wasn't 100%, if you know what I mean. I wouldn't have had any problem with it of course, and I don't think Lesa would be upset about having black ancestors except that it would mean she wasn't 100% Native American, which was really important to her.

What I wonder about is the different reactions of groups. You'd be hard pressed to find many, if any, group of people who haven't been royally screwed over during the last couple of centuries. But some seem to take the attitude that success is the best revenge. They not only become part of society they actually help mold it. While a few take the attitude "My ancestors got screwed over and someone needs to make it right."

You should probably clarify whether you mean some people or some groups. 'Cos that's going to make a big difference in the reactions you get.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Bob_Church

OK so it's not about being black.

Slavery is used as a reason to wait, and black leaders encourage it. They live off the misery of the people they are supposed to be helping.

OK so it is about being black.

I see all sorts of leaders give people victimhood. Leaders who make it easier to be victims of discrimination. Leaders who make it easier for people to think they are victims of the evil EPA, or the evil left wing media. Leaders who make it easier to believe people are victims of globalism.

That sort of thinking is definitely not unique to any one group; it's pretty common.