riggerrob

Which scares you the most?

This poll is my response to Quebec's newest law banning Muslim facial scarves on public buses.
The law actually says: no concealed faces while receiving public services. This follows a similar law (a few years back) banning religious clothing and religious symbols on public employees and public buildings.

Some see this law as an attempt to separate church from state .....from the way the Catholic Church dominated Quebec when I was born.

Some see this law as an attack on Muslim women .... who are already oppressed too much.

Some see this as a xenophobia reaction to any one who is not white, Catholic and French-speaking with a Québécois accent. I no longer count because of my less-than-perfect accent.

Please remember that facial scarf-wearing Muslim women make up less than 1 percent of Canada's population. The majority of Muslim immigrants are fleeing civil war in their homeland and just want to raise their children in peaceful communities. Ergo less than 1 percent of (living in Canada) Muslim males commit violent crimes.

Any other explanation?

Some see this as a xenophobia reaction to any one who is not white, Catholic and French-speaking with a Québécois accent. I no longer count because of my less-than-perfect accent.
^^^^^
This, somewhat!

Just Quebec politicians pandering to their base.There is a reason why Canadian PM Justin Trudeau has not made a issue of this. Other than a short comment that he disagreed with it. The SC of Canada will strike it down.

There is a reason why protestors are wearing ski masks, full coverage hoods on Quebec buses, in the streets, etc. This is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Nobody in Quebec is using the niqab to rob banks or flim-flam identity issues.

Iago

Public buses have cameras and they want to be able to identify passengers if something happens.

Same reason you can't walk up to the bank teller with a hat or sunglasses.

Wah.

Has there been a real any problem with masked miscreants misbehaving while using "public services"?

I honestly don't know.

But I kinda doubt it.

If there has been, then I could see passing this sort of law in response.

But if not, then it's pretty blatant discrimination against a "particular group" who has more than a little bit of history of being discriminated against.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Iago

Public buses have cameras and they want to be able to identify passengers if something happens.

Same reason you can't walk up to the bank teller with a hat or sunglasses.

Wah.

Most supermarkets now have signs asking people to remove motorcycle helmets. It's blatant motorcyclism. :ph34r:

Iago

There is, however, a history of miscreants misbehaving and using identity theft to steal and misappropriate public services and assistance, as well as other things. One of the primary methods used to confirm that a government office is, in fact, dealing with the correct person is a visual identification. That's rather difficult to do if you can't look at an ID or a picture of a person on the computer and verify that the person handing you that ID is the correct person.

Now, there shouldn't have to be a law in place for that purpose. I would think that would be more of a common sense thing. However, there is a lot of push back with people not wanting to allow a visual identification (i.e. uncovering their faces and heads) for things like drivers licenses, TSA security checkpoints, mugshots, etc. As such I'm not surprised that some places are deciding to set a legal framework for requiring a visual identification (or the ability to do such) by not allowing some head or face coverings in certain situations or places.

I can understand that certain groups of people would need to authenticate someone's identity ie: IRS, TSA, government officers but having worked for the UK equivalent of the IRS I know that it's possible to deal with that situation in a calm and professional way without offending the religious sensibilities of others. If we had a Muslim woman come in and we needed to verify identity, we'd have a female member of staff take the lady to a private room and do the verification. The customer would then return to the counter/interview room and conduct her business.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation