DJL

I'm going to fire someone because they can't get daycare for their child

yoink

To me; the issue is not about childcare - its about doing his job. The organization can't wrap itself around everyone's personal problems.

Good ones can and do.

There's a difference between a bad attitude and a bad circumstance and a decent HR department works to distinguish the two.

If you don't care about retaining the good workers then you treat them both the same. If you want to keep the best people it's a good idea not to make exceptions but rather to have policy that can help in situations like this.

If he can't do his job ONCE the child care thing is sorted then by all means, fire away.

While I can understand your position and if they work for one of the mega-companies that can do that - those employees are generally not close to the revenue stream. Being a small business without an HR department where everyone is touching the revenue stream... the most important "good" is customer service/satisfaction.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

On the other hand, a stellar employee, who really satisfies the customers, will have a far greater impact on a small company. Not everyone is that employee, but many can be they find the right niche.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

On the other hand, a stellar employee, who really satisfies the customers, will have a far greater impact on a small company. Not everyone is that employee, but many can be they find the right niche.

Wendy P.

I agree. Hence, the one month paid leave. But, it doesn't sound as though that's the case here. I've bent over backwards for employees and in the end, in each case, it came back to bite me on the arse.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

You say you're turning down business. From what it seems the cost would be $60 a day tops to get the issue taken care of. Is the business you're turning down not worth the $60 expense?

You also say the company is too small to do anything, but is that really true? This is an insanely small expense for any business. If anything, this is an opportunity to invest in employee loyalty and build a better relationship with a good worker rather than fire them.

This seems like a real non-issue and not something I would ever go on the internet to rant about as well.

wmw999

Wendy P.

But then there's "past practices." We're discussing this like it's a one off for one employee, but try explaining that to the other employees when they want theirs. And they will.

skinnay

You say you're turning down business. From what it seems the cost would be $60 a day tops to get the issue taken care of. Is the business you're turning down not worth the $60 expense?

You also say the company is too small to do anything, but is that really true? This is an insanely small expense for any business. If anything, this is an opportunity to invest in employee loyalty and build a better relationship with a good worker rather than fire them.

This seems like a real non-issue and not something I would ever go on the internet to rant about as well.

Yes, we're too small to pick up someone's healthcare, our margins are much smaller than that cost. Plenty of other people spend their lives going to work and handling business, this person is not able to do that. I have plenty of empathy for that person and am curious what others do.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

fanya

I don't know why I'm spending all this time and effort going to school to be an accountant when it sounds like I can make a killing in the daycare industry

Maybe not the best way to phrase that thought.

Parenting is probably the most important job in the world and there's no license required and very little training.
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

skinnay

It's not necessarily that simple - if you start offering a benefit for this one guy you have to do it for others in the same job position. You're not allowed to make an exception just for him.
That means that for a small business while it MAY be just a $60 expense for one guy, what happens if the next day 15 guys all want to take advantage of it? All of a sudden your P&L isn't looking so good.

Benefits are a real problem for small companies because they can be very variable and the trick to being successful when you're small with low profit margins is to keep every expense as fixed as possible.

skinnay

Looks to me like you are ranting. $60 after taxes and all the other costs of paying employees would add up to well over $100. Assuming an 8 hour day you are talking about at least a $12 per hour raise for this employee. It's easy to talk about for you. Not so easy if you were the one paying.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

yoink

It's not necessarily that simple - if you start offering a benefit for this one guy you have to do it for others in the same job position. You're not allowed to make an exception just for him.
That means that for a small business while it MAY be just a $60 expense for one guy, what happens if the next day 15 guys all want to take advantage of it? All of a sudden your P&L isn't looking so good.

Benefits are a real problem for small companies because they can be very variable and the trick to being successful when you're small with low profit margins is to keep every expense as fixed as possible.

Employee benefits are sourced to the marginal return on that employee. As the economy approaches full employment. The production, cost of sourcing new qualified, productive, electricians, needs to be factored.

A hard working, qualified, show up on time employee can easily be worth something. Keep in mind a hungry family can be a motivating factor for all of the aforementioned qualities.

An employee that is lacking, well there is always the union hall.

DJL

Thanks, we're going to look into that. Seems like something you can do anyway if we're giving a raise and capitalize on the write-off.

I really don't know how people can afford daycare, seems like it's through the roof. I have some friends who were paying more in daycare than one of their salaries.

I have a daughter who was paying $19,200.00 a year for two children. She quit her job and started a Home based business which has replaced about 70% of her previous income and stopped the bleeding of dollars paid out to childcare. I was stunned to find out how much it was costing. One more year and the oldest daughter will be in private school but that is our gift to our Grand children.

UPDATE: The problem solved itself. The guy didn't show up to work again. Terminated. We offered to increase his pay and work with him while he figured out the home situation and he didn't hold up his half.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Bob_Church

***I don't know why I'm spending all this time and effort going to school to be an accountant when it sounds like I can make a killing in the daycare industry

But you don't have to change a spreadsheet's full diaper.

No you have to be able to wipe a snotty nose with one hand, break up a fight with the other hand. While carrying on a conversation all at the same time. Be able to put 6-8 meals on the table, keep them all occupied, cope with various napping schedules, attention spans and levels of undiagnosed symptoms of ADHD.

All while maintaining sanity. Believe me these women have special personalities.

DJL

UPDATE: The problem solved itself. The guy didn't show up to work again. Terminated. We offered to increase his pay and work with him while he figured out the home situation and he didn't hold up his half.

Yup, that's the way it goes.

To be honest it's probably the simplest solution for you.