airdvr

Women accuse Morgan Freeman of inappropriate behavior, harassment

Just from what you pasted in your post, here is the problem (bolding mine):

Bob_Church

It feels so circular.

"He's admitted giving the women qualuudes.

But some women want qualuudes.

Not that some of these accusers in question WANTED them -- this juror wasn't answering the others' concern, just making a generalized statement that did not apply to the issue at hand.
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

ryoder

***I can remember when a lot of women's sexual pleasure was so enhance by qualuudes that they wouldn't have sex without them. Bring luudes or stay home. And it wasn't trading sex for drugs, the drugs were for her during sex.

Well, damn!
Now you tell me!>:(
I never brought 'luudes, so I must have missed a lot of opportunities.[:/]

What I find really worrisome is all the things that we, the public, know. We know that he slipped them to the women, we know that he's raped lots of other women.
We really need to remember what happened to Roscoe Arbuckle because of the things that everyone KNEW about him. There's a great summary on Wikipedia about it. I think everyone should read it again every now and then.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscoe_Arbuckle

The one thing to remember here is that your memory (and ability to identify with one point of view) is valid, but needs to be balanced against the equally remembered and valid experiences of people (often women) who have had drugs or alcohol passed in order to lower their resistance.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

>We really need to remember what happened to Roscoe Arbuckle because of the things
>that everyone KNEW about him.

Well, right - that's why we have courts, so that we have a better chance of finding out the truth. The court of public opinion can be a lot less objective than that, of course, but fortunately cannot mete out the sort of punishments than a court can.

wmw999

The one thing to remember here is that your memory (and ability to identify with one point of view) is valid, but needs to be balanced against the equally remembered and valid experiences of people (often women) who have had drugs or alcohol passed in order to lower their resistance.

Wendy P.

It's the idea of the general public, us, knowing things that's always been of interest. On the urban legends page it was our hobby, no, mission, to find out what was real or not and why why we felt that way.
When I saw a juror make a statement that makes it appear that their conviction was based on not just evidence presented in court but general knowledge, the idea that, as everyone knows his tone suggests, the only use for qualuudes was for raping women, that my alarm bell went off.
Roscoe Arbuckle was not only exonerated after the third trial but the evidence overwhelmingly proved that he hadn't raped the woman and that she hadn't died from it. But people still KNEW that he was a monster rapist. His release was just legal tricks from a rich man and he was being released to prey on their women. They banned and even burned his movies and he had to work as a director under an alias. It was unrelenting for ten years. Now that enough time has passed that the situation gets an honest treatment we find it hard to believe that this could happen. But do we ever wonder, in anyone's case, if it's happening again?

billvon

>We really need to remember what happened to Roscoe Arbuckle because of the things
>that everyone KNEW about him.

Well, right - that's why we have courts, so that we have a better chance of finding out the truth. The court of public opinion can be a lot less objective than that, of course, but fortunately cannot mete out the sort of punishments than a court can.

For most of us that's true, but these people are the exception. Morgan Freeman is 80 years old and is being accused of sexual harassment and as far as I know for the first time. He'll be dead before he even has a chance to defend himself and a lifetime of work will be replaced with being labeled by the public as a sex offender.

When I saw a juror make a statement that makes it appear that their conviction was based on not just evidence presented in court but general knowledge, the idea that, as everyone knows his tone suggests, the only use for qualuudes was for raping women, that my alarm bell went off.

This is confusing. Your problem with the trial is that it was based on 'everyone knows' XYX. But you basis for having that problem is that you feel 'everyone knows' the juror's tone meant he was saying everyone knows XYZ, not that he actually said it?

The link you posted earlier doesn't work in the uk at the moment, could you just paste the bit you're talking about?

Now that enough time has passed that the situation gets an honest treatment we find it hard to believe that this could happen. But do we ever wonder, in anyone's case, if it's happening again?

Tbh the Wikipedia article really highlights the differences from Arbuckle and the current high profile cases. Arbuckle was accused by one woman, and by business associates of the deceased who were plainly after money. The story was seized by a yellow press, tabloid mogul who printed numerous unsubstantiated, unsourced accusations and lurid tales whose evolution could be traced as they grew greater in the retelling.

Cosby was accused by numerous different women over long, long periods of time. Women unconnected with each other whose accusations were on the record before his downfall began.

Weinstein also has been accused by numerous different unconnected women, and directly through their own public statements, not amplified by a sensationalist media.

Roy Moore was accused by numerous different women, and his history was reported on by serious, ethical news outlets - ones whose commitment to fact checking led them to uncover and turn the tables on fraudsters who tried to discredit them by feeding spurious stories in the hope they'd be printed.

Donald Trump has been accused by numerous different, unconnected women, multiple times over several decades as well as after he sought public office. He has a documented history of shutting down the allegations by buying silence or threatening overwhelming legal retaliation, among other dirty tricks.

That's not to say that some people aren't falsely accused of horrible things, but these guys? Nah, not these guys.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

So far can not see Freeman have done anything illegal or wrong, as he say he was fishing for women, and in a stupid way.

I wonder if Meeto have hit the dropzones yet? It used to be quite an arena for Instructors to fishing women in different ways and styles.