Maddingo

Which container would you choose?

So here is the deal, I'm on the market for a container and have accumulated theese three options.

I can get a new stock Vortex tailored to my size (custom harness), with hip rings, free fly handle, magnetic covers and cut-in laterals all covered with spacer foam for 1600$ final (shipping included all taxes etc.)

An Infinity dom 2016, lightly used, tuck tabs, hip rings, floating laterals sewn close to my size, 1900$

An Icon dom 2015(?) with normal hackey, tuck tabs etc, but the sizing is unknown, haven't tried it yet, the container will house my current size canopy but it may be too loose on the step down in the future, 1500$-ish. - negotiable

Comments are welcome too, especially if some of you out there have jumped more of theese containers. Pro's, con's?

I've demoed the Vortex rig and although it wasn't completely my size the thing was comfortable, I jumped student icons and vortex in the past but the Icon was the worst out of the three I tried. New or not they were all stiff as hell, do Icon sport containers have better comfort level? Even some unknown DOM 2004 sport harness was more comfortable and it was really tight on me.

Nothing rational
I like both the Infinity and the Vortex
I prefer a fully enclosed reserve pilot chute
The vortex is a very nice rig though. And you can get a Skyhook on it (if you want), as it is the most "common/popular" MARD on the market (at least for now)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

My bias goes:
1 - Icon
2 - Infinity
3 - Vortex

My comments are biased by fashions about down-sizing.
I recently up-sized from a Stiletto 135 to a Pilot 168 .... because I am growing old and fat.
Since current fashions are trending towards stuffing small reserves into to progressively smaller containers.

Icon is based on Parachutes de France's Atom container. I packed a bunch of tight Atom's but really only noticed the tight pack density as I closed the 3rd and 4th flaps.
The last two Icons that I assembled, inspected and packed required methodical packing, but still looked good when packed "soft as concrete." Another good feature of Icons is a free-bag that prevents the closing loop from ever touching canopy fabric. This feature also reduces the number of variables when tying the closing loop.

All other rigs require more skill and more patience when packing "stupid tight." While tight rigs may make your butt look big ?????????? I never understand why current fashion trends are towards stiffer and stiffer containers?????

Infinity?
Tight Infinities require the same techniques as larger Infinities, Vectors, Mirages, etc. plus more patience. I disliked the move to 2 separate grommets in the middle of the reserve deployment bag. Two grommets allow the closing loop to rub against delicate canopy fabric. While I have only had to patch 2 reserves (damaged by closing loops), that was 2 patches too many.

Vortex?
I have only packed a few Vortexes ..... not enough to learn the finer points of packing Vortex. I struggle to stuff reserves into tight Vortex d-bags and struggle to close their tight side flaps. As another poster mentioned, exposed pilot-chute caps (ala Vortex) require extra skills to completely conceal delicate PC fabric and mesh.

kat00

if you want to Freefly I would go for the Vortex because the other two are tuck tabs and not as freefly friendly. Also the custom tailoring to fit would be nice especially at that price.

Let me tell you a secret that will blow your mind...but don't tell anyone ok?! Infinity is the only rig on the market that was used in a super sonic freefall jump. Furthermore, ask any speed skydiving coach about containers and my bet is, 10 out of 10 will say "stay away from magnets". So maybe, if stiffeners are good for speeds above 500km/h, maybe they will be good for the speeds of a regular FF jump? Dunno!

I'll take Infinity above any other rig on the market....and if I have to jump a Vortex 2, I'll quit skydiving !
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

Maddingo

Why is that? Why is Vortex so bad? I heard a lot of people say it is bad but noone gives any conclusive answer is to why they hate it. It's like this rig is the ugly kid is school.

The only problem I have with them is an unfortunate tendency for them to be sized too small for the canopies they are supposed to fit. Other than that it's really just the same as some people hating Fords, or Chevys. I mean, it's not like they are Dodges. Dodges are truly garbage.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The only problem I have with them is an unfortunate tendency for them to be sized too small for the canopies they are supposed to fit.

+1 on this comment. Every new Vortex I have assembled packs like a brick when using canopies listed on the container order form. Like clockwork. It's not a rigger convenience issue either ~ designing a rig this 'tight' does not make it safer.
=========Shaun ==========