skydiver51

Remote for Mini DV camcorders

Although I am not up to speed to jump cameras yet, I do hang with the C-Flyers at my DZ. This subject came up last Fall around the fire.
YES! There is interest! We have about 20-30 C-Flyers that are also trying to shoot digital stills. GREAT IDEA!
Cloudless Skies for ALL!

That would be a great addition. I jump with a mini DV and have been experimenting capturing stills off of video, but it requires replay of video, pause or freeze frame, then shoot it on memory stick. It works great but the quality might be better if the stills were recorded direct instead of shooting off of tape. Good luck on your search. Include me as an interested user of the remote. Someday maybe I can dis-mount my 35mm. I'll be adding a (still off video), to the photo section later on of a three way zipper in the center of a pyramid of light beams from the sun reflected off the lense Over the new Oak Island NC DZ with ocean background.

What's the point? Most Mini DV cameras can grab any frame from the video and turn it into a picture. Furthermore, minidvs which take pictures take a few seconds to actually write the image to the memory stick or what not.. Before I got my PC5 i was really interested in such a thing, but now that I know how the PC5 works - it would actually be more of a hinderance. just my opinion tho.
I haven't played with the other DVs, but I know about sony.

:|
Well, with todays technology, and todays DVcams still resolution - I wouldnt jump high to get such a gadget, when you compare a 640*480 still from miniDV to a 6.3 Megapixels of Canon or Nikon digital SLRs... there is QUITE a difference, and I believe that photographers would go with the higher end resolution (a hunch) - but as for a future development it sounds like a great idea (when miniDV will actually have a 6.3megapixels capability of stills...... )
Be Simple, Be Creative, Bee!
Sharon.

If it could write to the memory stick 'on the fly' it might be useful, otherwise won't you have to stop taping then take your still, then start taping again?....
I dunno, I don't have a still facility on my cams.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Unless they have changed the way the sony cameras work on the new models, they will not record to the memory while they are recording to tape. Some JVC models have this function but they are much less popular in skydiving than Sony.

I believe the same goes for the Sony PC-105. You can capture a still image to memory stick during playback. Capturing an image "live" doesn't improve the quality above capture from tape (and yes, the quality is lacking). (at least that's my experience. You can shoot me down if I'm wrong)

So the remote wouldn't do much for me.
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video