airdvr

Sensitivity Readers

Publishers are hiring 'sensitivity readers' to flag potentially offensive content

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/books/ct-publishers-hiring-book-readers-to-flag-sensitivity-20170215-story.html

Newspeak for censorship. I think I'm beginning to understand why snowflakes have problems living in the real world. :D:D
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

billvon

> I think I'm beginning to understand why snowflakes have problems living in the real world.

There's an awful lot of right wingers nowadays who are demanding the media stop exposing them to reality.

hehe...you think you get reality from the media? Wow...I'm not sure what to say.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

Publishers are hiring 'sensitivity readers' to flag potentially offensive content

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/books/ct-publishers-hiring-book-readers-to-flag-sensitivity-20170215-story.html

Newspeak for censorship. I think I'm beginning to understand why snowflakes have problems living in the real world. :D:D

I don't think you know what the word "censorship" means.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Publishers are hiring 'sensitivity readers' to flag potentially offensive content

censorship
ˈsensərSHip/
noun
the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.

Maybe you should explain it to me.

Destinations by Roxanne

billvon

>I don't think you know what the word "censorship" means.

Reduction of right-leaning, Trump-friendly opinion pieces in media, of course.

Certainly one possibility. You realize there are others, right?

Destinations by Roxanne

DanG

I think I'm beginning to understand why snowflakes have problems living in the real world.

In your world view are there "snowflakes" on both sides of the political spectrum, or just the left?

The most prominent snowflake is the President, who is clearly unable to deal with anything that casts him in a bad light.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

DanG

I think I'm beginning to understand why snowflakes have problems living in the real world.

In your world view are there "snowflakes" on both sides of the political spectrum, or just the left?

There is Breitbart News and others on Facebook who discuss the same stories from the same sources. Its very frustrating for trump and his followers. So comforting sources of information is like pablum for the mind. No introspection required.

Censorship can take over when any minority group feels threatened.

During this lifetime, I have seen censorship to limit: anti-Jewish, anti-Somali, anti-PTSD, anti-alcoholic, anti-single-mother, anti-abortion, pro-abortion, gun-lover, gun-hater, homophobic, etc. news, editorials, advertisements.

airdvr

******Publishers are hiring 'sensitivity readers' to flag potentially offensive content

censorship
ˈsensərSHip/
noun
the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.

Maybe you should explain it to me.

This isn't censorship. It's a voluntarily submitted reading service. Nobody is bending arms. The government isn't involved.

It's no different than an author submitting his work to a proofreader to check for spelling and grammatical errors. It's smart. I've tried to start this as a business myself. Far too many people write things they simply don't realize can be taken in mockable ways.

Do you consider all forms of proofreading to be censorship?
quade -

airdvr

Proofreading looks for grammatical errors.

Do you believe offensive material in the media should be banned?

Nobody is "banning" anything. This is my entire point.

Let's say you wanted to write a valentines letter to your wife, but you know you occasionally make mistakes, and misunderstandings, and like all people you're fallible.

The SMART thing to do is to hand it over to somebody you trust to take a look at it before you give it to her. That person can then maybe tell you things you hadn't considered.

It's still up to you whether or not you decide to change them or STET.
quade -

>Publishers are hiring 'sensitivity readers' to flag potentially offensive content

We do similar things here - any public presentation goes through legal, investor relations and tech writer review to make sure that it meets the company's standards. If you ever publish anything you will go through a similar process.

airdvr

Proofreading looks for grammatical errors.

Do you think authors and publishers should be forced to print material they disagree with?

I believe that's check and mate, my good sir :|
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

billvon

>Publishers are hiring 'sensitivity readers' to flag potentially offensive content

We do similar things here - any public presentation goes through legal, investor relations and tech writer review to make sure that it meets the company's standards. If you ever publish anything you will go through a similar process.

In a business setting it makes perfect sense. That's not what I'm talking about. Big publishers wanting to clean their author's work is understandable, but the author may not want their work scrubbed clean. Hard to walk away from the deal if you need the money. Publisher wins, author succumbs, and once again the masses get scrubbed work.

Quade...not so sure your SO would be impressed that your love letter had to be scrubbed. :P

Destinations by Roxanne

jakee

***Proofreading looks for grammatical errors.

Do you think authors and publishers should be forced to print material they disagree with?

I'm certain you believe that...

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

That's not what I'm talking about. Big publishers wanting to clean their author's work is understandable, but the author may not want their work scrubbed clean.

Yet your article talks mostly about services available for authors wanting their work to be checked.

Publisher wins, author succumbs, and once again the masses get scrubbed work.

At least in this case the masses get work they can access.

Would you now like to condemn all the pussifed conservative snowflakes who have, for decades, campaigned to ban any books they find offensive from public libraries, school libraries and classrooms, thereby preventing kids from being able to access them at all?

Would you like to rant about how pathetic the right is for pursuing that kind of censorship with so much determination over the years?

airdvr

******Proofreading looks for grammatical errors.

I'm certain you believe that...

Because it's true. So, do you think authors and publishers should be forced to print material they disagree with?

In a business setting it makes perfect sense. That's not what I'm talking about. Big publishers wanting to clean their author's work is understandable, but the author may not want their work scrubbed clean. Hard to walk away from the deal if you need the money. Publisher wins, author succumbs, and once again the masses get scrubbed work.

Again, I've been dealing with that for 20 years. Whether it' s an article for PARACHUTIST, or the Computer Applications Journal, or a local newspaper, or an IEEE publication, someone is going to edit it and scrub it for language, style, and content. It's part of writing.

From the Forum Rules and Policies:

"The Forum Rules:
No personal attacks.

No jokes about or references to pedophilia. None.

No advertising in the forums.

Post to the correct forum and stay on topic."

I suppose you did not realize you are posting on a forum that practices censorship! Poor little snowflakes, can't handle personal attacks!

Of course, if you continue to post that means you accept the censorship. That's also in the Policies and Rules:

"You agree that this is private property and you are our guest, and that Dropzone.com reserves the right to delete any message. Membership on Dropzone.com is a privilege, not a right.

We may at any time revise these rules and policies without notice. Please check back regularly. Continued use of Dropzone.com after a change has been made is your acceptance of the change."

So, what are you going to do?

Don

GeorgiaDon

From the Forum Rules and Policies:

"The Forum Rules:
No personal attacks.

No jokes about or references to pedophilia. None.

No advertising in the forums.

Post to the correct forum and stay on topic."

I suppose you did not realize you are posting on a forum that practices censorship! Poor little snowflakes, can't handle personal attacks!

Of course, if you continue to post that means you accept the censorship. That's also in the Policies and Rules:

"You agree that this is private property and you are our guest, and that Dropzone.com reserves the right to delete any message. Membership on Dropzone.com is a privilege, not a right.

We may at any time revise these rules and policies without notice. Please check back regularly. Continued use of Dropzone.com after a change has been made is your acceptance of the change."

So, what are you going to do?

Don

If it makes you feel better. Once again the left can't see the proverbial forest. Do you really think Stephen King, Nora Roberts, the late Tom Clancy submitted their manuscripts to a "sensitivity reader"? I'm sure Kurt Vonnegut was concerned about the sensitivities of his audience.

What you don't get is we are now fed pablum that has been scrubbed of any references that some might deem offensive. Wow! Good luck with that.

Destinations by Roxanne

What you don't get is we are now fed pablum that has been scrubbed of any references that some might deem offensive. Wow! Good luck with that.

You do know that anyone reading this can walk into a bookshop, flick through a few pages, and figure out that you're talking bollocks, right?

It's like when Trump was insisting his crowds were as big as Obama's when every single photo from that day shows otherwise. What is the point of you lying about this when reality so obviously proves you wrong?

(Interesting you should bring up Vonnegut by the way - who is it that tries to ban his books from schools? oh yeah, bible thumping christian conservatives. And you're going to bitch about how those people are such delicate little snowflakes... when, exactly?

jakee

You do know that anyone reading this can walk into a bookshop, flick through a few pages, and figure out that you're talking bollocks, right?

It's like when Trump was insisting his crowds were as big as Obama's when every single photo from that day shows otherwise. What is the point of you lying about this when reality so obviously proves you wrong?

(Interesting you should bring up Vonnegut by the way - who is it that tries to ban his books from schools? oh yeah, bible thumping christian conservatives. And you're going to bitch about how those people are such delicate little snowflakes... when, exactly?

When have you ever heard me voice my support for any religion? Interesting that you should single out christians while giving radical islam a pass.

Destinations by Roxanne