mirage62

Will the Rep pull the nuclear option on the SC pick?

brenthutch

Are you suggesting Scalia was fine on all of those issues?

No. What I'm suggesting is sometimes people reject the philosophy of other people for reasons other than what you're suggesting.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

brenthutch

They can reject his philosophy all day long but to what end? Any Democratic obstruction, at this point, is self defeating.

I think they've done the socio/political calculus and have come to a different conclusion. You're free to disagree, but that doesn't mean you're right.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

> Why the seemingly futile kamikaze charges?

So they should go along to get along? Play the political game? Be good politicians? Stick to business as usual?

Or should they do what their consciences - and constituents - demand?

And from a practical perspective, elections are coming up in two years. If Trump suddenly turns the corner, stops replacing diplomacy with tweets and starts acting with wisdom and forethought, then opposing him will be a liability. If he continues down the path he's on, then being able to say "I was one of the first to oppose him."

mirage62

You can hate what he does....but another point was that he was DOING something....which isn't normal up in Washington

The Unabomber did things too, rather than simply talking.

How do you feel about overturning the regulations on dumping coal mining debris in rivers and streams?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

quade

***So a "dangerous radical ideologue who will set our country back" is fine for the appellate court, but not for the SC?

A "radical ideologue" in a lower court can't actually change the fundamental rights of hundred's of millions of people.

Two things here Paul
the worse you think he is the better I know he is
Second
He will be the next SC justice and there is not a damned thing you or anybody else can do about it

And he appears to be a great great choice

One or two more like him on the court and we are good to go

Elections have consequences

And he is NO WHERE near being radical

The rioters at Berkley are radicals
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

quade

***They can reject his philosophy all day long but to what end? Any Democratic obstruction, at this point, is self defeating.

I think they've done the socio/political calculus and have come to a different conclusion. You're free to disagree, but that doesn't mean you're right.

I think his point is that this response is analogous to the campaign strategy (that 'calculus' (i hate that term in this use) certainly was a dramatic failure). Their calculus (which seems to ignore anything that's not self affirming) itself is what's under question.

One definitely can claim the same faulty calculus on the far right as well.

And look how well that's turned out for us all as of today.

the parties need a refresher in 'maths'

(I'm not looking forward to decades of ridiculous extreme swings in policy as each party trades power based on sucking up to their angry and close minded fringes)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Jeez, people -- can't we find some actual things to do that have us working together? Only that way will we as voters start to encourage congresscritters who focus on the country rather than scoring points off the "opponents."

Rehmwa has it right, and I'm not looking forward to the next few swings either. They're stupid and mainly serve to piss off the populace.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Jeez, people -- can't we find some actual things to do that have us working together? Only that way will we as voters start to encourage congresscritters who focus on the country rather than scoring points off the "opponents."

100% agree. Even here, somewhat like minded people....it's obvious that only one side can win. I don't expect the people that were against Trump to suddenly love him - I don't - but I don't think that many people on the left have even slowed down to figure out HOW we got Trump.

His time WILL pass...one way or another.....but what if we SWING further? It could be to the right, it could be to the left.

We need to figure out HOW and fix it - which I believe to be we "the people" have to be on the same team - not party - but team.
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

wmw999

Jeez, people -- can't we find some actual things to do that have us working together?

I'm in for bigger and bigger hybrid skydives. I have both types of suits so put me in where ever.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants