jclalor

What's Aleppo?

Like I said, he's a stoner I can't get too worked up about.

Why anyone is supporting him is a bit silly. Yeah, Libertarian candidate and not a vote for H or T, but holy shit . . . does anyone really think the guy really has a chance for anything other than a "I didn't vote for (fill in the blank), so don't bitch at me" bragging rights?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Hi Paul,

not a vote for H or T

Just my opinion, but as of now, with the poll numbers I am seeing, a vote for Johnson is the same as a vote for Trump.

It all comes down to who you really want in the White House. Or maybe better, who do you want to keep out of the White House.

Jerry Baumchen

It all comes down to who you really want in the White House. Or maybe better, who do you want to keep out of the White House.

I have years and years of documentation right here on this forum of not wanting Hillary to be a candidate for The White House. I have the same reasoning for her as I had with Jeb; I don't like the idea of "legacy" Presidents. The idea of swapping the Oval back and forth between two families isn't something I'm interested in.

That said, when you look at what the Republican party offered up as a candidate, this is a pretty easy choice for me. Just because I don't think Hillary is a perfect candidate doesn't mean I'm going to give my vote to someone I believe may actually be a threat to civilization on the planet. Trump is dangerous and that's not simple hyperbole and it's not just my opinion either.
quade -

jclalor

***definitely a gaffe when it comes to presidential elections. Trump would have said "I love Aleppo - hell I built it! They love me there!"

He appears to be very stoned in this, I think it's worst than on Morning Joe.

https://youtu.be/J3SNLPfVGt4

Not sure why he's falling on his sword about this as he gave a good answer in the interview on our inability to make positive changes there , but most likely just rattled.

I'd never heard of Aleppo either. The only correct answer for any of the Middle East issues is GTFO. The countries there need to address this without outside help including those seeking asylum outside the region as they're the exact sort of people that region needs.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

The only correct answer for any of the Middle East issues is GTFO. The countries there need to address this without outside help including those seeking asylum outside the region as they're the exact sort of people that region needs.

Disagree. We broke it -- badly. It's our responsibility to at least be part of the solution.
quade -

quade

***The only correct answer for any of the Middle East issues is GTFO. The countries there need to address this without outside help including those seeking asylum outside the region as they're the exact sort of people that region needs.

Disagree. We broke it -- badly. It's our responsibility to at least be part of the solution.

There's been fighting over religion in the Middle East since before America was even colonized so we didn't "break" it.

The biggest problem is no one knows what the solution is. That's for those directly involved to work out amongst themselves without outside interference.

The best thing we could do for the people of the Middle East is to continue to reduce our dependency on oil which would lessen the international importance and value of the region and possibly provide aid to basic education programs.

Bolas

There's been fighting over religion in the Middle East since before America was even colonized so we didn't "break" it.

Again, disagree. While there has been fighting in the Middle East for centuries, the US has not helped matters one bit in several ways; kissing the ass the cheek of the "King" of Saudi Arabia for instance, or supporting the Shaw of Iran. Gulf War 1 ratchet things up and we should have never gotten involved with that at all. That said, GHWB understood no good would come from marching into Baghdad. Iraq was relatively contained in a lesser of two evils state.

The 2003 invasion of Iraq and de-baathification is THE cause of ISIS.

Yeah, we broke it badly.
quade -

quade

***There's been fighting over religion in the Middle East since before America was even colonized so we didn't "break" it.

Again, disagree. While there has been fighting in the Middle East for centuries, the US has not helped matters one bit in several ways; kissing the ass the cheek of the "King" of Saudi Arabia for instance, or supporting the Shaw of Iran. Gulf War 1 ratchet things up and we should have never gotten involved with that at all. That said, GHWB understood no good would come from marching into Baghdad. Iraq was relatively contained in a lesser of two evils state.

The 2003 invasion of Iraq and de-baathification is THE cause of ISIS.

Yeah, we broke it badly.

OK, let's assume for a moment that the US did cause all of the Middle East's problems. Given everything we do there is wrong, how would we even fix it?

Given everything we do there is wrong, how would we even fix it?

My thinking would first be to make it clear to ALL parties we will support neither side of the struggle for control of Islamic thought. This would absolutely mean severing all trade with any of the countries involved in that struggle including, but not limited to Saudi Arabia. ALL trade; oil, guns, food (other than possible humanitarian drops if required). Massive economic sanctions for ALL parties.

I firmly believe that if we could do that ISIS would have much less of a gripe against the US.
quade -

quade

Given everything we do there is wrong, how would we even fix it?

My thinking would first be to make it clear to ALL parties we will support neither side of the struggle for control of Islamic thought. This would absolutely mean severing all trade with any of the countries involved in that struggle including, but not limited to Saudi Arabia. ALL trade; oil, guns, food (other than possible humanitarian drops if required). Massive economic sanctions for ALL parties.

I firmly believe that if we could do that ISIS would have much less of a gripe against the US.

Not much different than what I was proposing other than specifying the religion which implies Jewish or Christian control of thought would be tolerated. :P

See? No right answers other than GTFO.

It's quite different.

"GTFO" implies leaving the money train in place for the US companies profiting off of all of this. It implies leaving the status quo in place for Saudi Arabia and therefore the support for the regime which is, in my opinion, at the absolute root of all of this modern day warfare nonsense.
quade -

>See? No right answers other than GTFO.

How do you do that? Do you make it illegal to travel there? Pull all our aid? Make it illegal for Exxon to do business there? Ban any immigration from there?

Like it or not, Saudi Arabia is a lot closer to the US (in terms of the influence we hve on each other) than Ohio was to Washington, DC in the 1850's. Just saying "GTFO" isn't going to change much; we will still be there in a very real way (and they'll be here) unless we take some pretty drastic steps.

Do you really want to take them?

How do you do that? Stop all government spending in aid or support to the region.

Do you make it illegal to travel there? No. But to travel there one assumes all risk basically a waiver they understand the US government will not come to their aid.

Pull all our aid? Yes.

Make it illegal for Exxon to do business there? No. Similar to travel, Companies receive no support or assistance in their business dealings there including protection of shipping routes.

Ban any immigration from there? No, but tightly controlled.

jclalor

Gary Johnsons response on "Morning Joe" as to what he would do in Aleppo.

https://youtu.be/fOT_BoGpCn4

Nobody, knew what the fuck Aleppo was before this story with Gary Johnson. Here's a good article about how everyone is still getting it wrong and also the google graph on how interested everyone is about Aleppo.

[url]http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-new-york-times-doesnt-know-what-aleppo-is-either-1786384279">http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-new-york-times-doesnt-know-what-aleppo-is-either-1786384279[url]

About the google search graph: "That line stayed flat through yesterday’s chlorine gas attack. The only thing that got people to care about Aleppo was the chance to make fun of someone for accidentally admitting that he didn’t care about Aleppo."

[url]http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-new-york-times-doesnt-know-what-aleppo-is-either-1786384279

Edit: For some reason I can't post normally.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

Nobody, knew what the fuck Aleppo was before this story with Gary Johnson. Here's a good article about how everyone is still getting it wrong and also the google graph on how interested everyone is about Aleppo.

[url]http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/the-new-york-times-doesnt-know-what-aleppo-is-either-1786384279[url]

About the google search graph: "That line stayed flat through yesterday’s chlorine gas attack. The only thing that got people to care about Aleppo was the chance to make fun of someone for accidentally admitting that he didn’t care about Aleppo."

Fair. That's your average American. I would hope that Presidential candidates are held to a higher standard. Would hope that a presidential candidate knows about Aleppo, it has been in the news rather frequently and major atrocities have taken place there. Maybe a little less in the US where reporting on Trump's hands appears to be more important.

jclalor

Gary Johnsons response on "Morning Joe" as to what he would do in Aleppo.

https://youtu.be/fOT_BoGpCn4

Your point being he's either stupid or mis-informed. What if he's lying? What if he really does know what/where Aleppo is but doesn't want you to know that he knows?

You know...like Hillary knows about wiping servers.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

normiss

I don't understand how so many didn't know what/where/when/how about Aleppo.
Seriously?
Not even after the most recent news-worthy event??

The interviewer's response says it all. Two words,..."you're kidding".

America first?
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***I don't understand how so many didn't know what/where/when/how about Aleppo.
Seriously?
Not even after the most recent news-worthy event??

The interviewer's response says it all. Two words,..."you're kidding".

America first?

Actually, his follow-up article says it all: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/09/08/i-asked-gary-johnson-about-aleppo-i-don-t-blame-him-for-not-knowing.html

The story of Aleppo has been ongoing for much longer than just the famous picture of the 5 year old. Sure, not everyone listens to the news and is aware of what is going on in the world outside the borders of their country. But when it comes to a somewhat serious candidate for POTUS, "you're kidding" does say it all.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Entirely true, everyone should care more. He's just pointing out that the photo of the kid should have been seared into eveyone's mind and finally got people interested or caring but the truth is that it didn't. There is more press about how those fleeing this conflict will bring terrorism to other countries than there is about what they're fleeing to begin with.