kallend

At least he was able to defend himself against the hygienist

Too many cases of Dentists having sexual relations with their patients while under. Maybe he thought she would violate his manhood and use him as a sex toy and was going to defend himself.

Good article.

One of the issues is that 31 states only define "Impaired Judgement" as being under the influence of alcohol or illicit drugs. You and I are in agreement with where you are going with this one. Oklahoma is one of the states that restricts the intersection of any drug whether illicit or by prescription that may "impair judgement" while having a CCW/P.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

One of the issues is that 31 states only define "Impaired Judgement" as being under the influence of alcohol or illicit drugs.

Whoa Whoa here...the Constitution EXPLICITLY says "...shall not be infringed..." So I assume that means even drunks and addicts should absolutely have access to guns any time they want. I am sure that is what those guys meant when they wrote...

True. We cannot deny access, but with rights comes responsibility. I don't believe responsibility can be legislated; however do believe it can be educated.

I think the weapons classes for CCW should be longer and more in-depth.

Some will disagree; but I understand.
Some would disagree that all Americans have the right to own weapons.
Others disagree.
The Supreme Court has ruled on the matter.
So, it matters not how people "feel." ;)

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

Others disagree.

It has indeed. It stated clearly that the right is NOT unlimited and that restrictions on who can exercise it, and where, are permissible. See DC vs. Heller www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/07-290.pdf.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I think the weapons classes for CCW should be longer and more in-depth.

So you are in fact OK with people's rights being infringed. ;-)

300M people and 300M interpretations of what it all means. But you are right, the SCOTUS has the final say until the legislature writes sensible rules and/or changes the Constitution.

I am all for a re-write of the 2nd amendment, and others. we are woefully overdue.

kallend

Others disagree.

It has indeed. It stated clearly that the right is NOT unlimited and that restrictions on who can exercise it, and where, are permissible. See DC vs. Heller www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/07-290.pdf.

No argument.
Interesting tidbit... Even the NRA supports certain restrictions against the mentally ill and criminals.

[*not a member of the NRA ]

When the second amendment was written, muzzle-loading Kentucky squirrel rifles were fashionable.
I am okay with freedom to carry long-barrelled, muzzle-loaders.

There was also something in the second amendment about "well regulated militia."
Those "militia" who took over that park in Montana(?) were a long way from well-organized. They made the same logistical mistakes as Napoleon, Hitler, the Russian Army invading Finland, etc.
IOW too many bullets but too few beans.

riggerrob

When the second amendment was written, muzzle-loading Kentucky squirrel rifles were fashionable.
I am okay with freedom to carry long-barrelled, muzzle-loaders.

There was also something in the second amendment about "well regulated militia."
Those "militia" who took over that park in Montana(?) were a long way from well-organized. They made the same logistical mistakes as Napoleon, Hitler, the Russian Army invading Finland, etc.
IOW too many bullets but too few beans.

And when the 1st was written - they had small printing presses, pencils, pen and ink. Are you ok with only those pieces of equipment being covered by the 1st, now? - Not that it REALLY matters for you since it doesn't directly affect you.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Not that it REALLY matters for you since it doesn't directly affect you.

It affects us a lot more than you think. The oversupply of tools of war in your country leads to leakage over the border. Both the north and south border. We need a wall.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

Not that it REALLY matters for you since it doesn't directly affect you.

It affects us a lot more than you think. The oversupply of tools of war in your country leads to leakage over the border. Both the north and south border. We need a wall.

You should build it and make us pay for it then.

How about an answer to the question I asked, not the statement I made.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

And when the 1st was written - they had small printing presses, pencils, pen and ink. Are you ok with only those pieces of equipment being covered by the 1st, now?

Except the equipment isn't what was listed, while that really is all that is listed for the 2nd.

?? I never volunteered to be quizzed on the 1st amendment. Just because you run off down a rabbit hole doesn't mean I have to follow you.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

SkyDekker

And when the 1st was written - they had small printing presses, pencils, pen and ink. Are you ok with only those pieces of equipment being covered by the 1st, now?

Except the equipment isn't what was listed, while that really is all that is listed for the 2nd.

Exactly!

What equipment was specifically described in the second?

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Just as a toothpick can be a type of arms, a knife can be a type of arms, what describes the "equipment" you reference?

gowlerk

?? I never volunteered to be quizzed on the 1st amendment. Just because you run off down a rabbit hole doesn't mean I have to follow you.

Indefensible positions are ignored. Gotcha.

turtlespeed

Indefensible positions are ignored. Gotcha.

My position is that your country leaks it's miserable gun supply into my country. That's all.

Just as a toothpick can be a type of arms, a knife can be a type of arms, what describes the "equipment" you reference?

Arms is capitalized, which usually means a defined term. I doubt toothpicks are part of that definition. I also doubt modern Arms are. We have seen infringements on Arms and most people agree with those infringements.

SkyDekker

Arms is capitalized, which usually means a defined term. I doubt toothpicks are part of that definition. I also doubt modern Arms are. We have seen infringements on Arms and most people agree with those infringements.

Weapons can fit both descriptions. Some weapons should be regulated. Arms should not.

Hospitals and medical offices should be under the Geneva Convention with all patients and visitors (temporarily) surrendering weapons at the door. On their way out, they could retrieve their weapons from a lock-box.
Only a handful of police and "well regulated" security guards would be allowed to openly carry weapons inside hospitals.

And here's a woman who accidentally shoots someone else at the hospital she is visiting. At least she "stood her ground." Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six, after all.

=========
Police: Woman Charged in Accidental Shooting
May 11, 2016 4:00 PM EDT
by Kimberly Davis

Hawes, Angelia SwygertLEXINGTON, S.C. (WOLO) – A Leesville woman is facing charges after a handgun she was allegedly carrying while inside the restroom of an area hospital discharged hitting a victim.

Authorities say 59-year-old Angelia Swygert Hawes, concealed a .25 caliber handgun in her purse while she was in the Lexington Medical Center on May 4.

Investigators said the firearm accidentally discharged inside the restroom of the hospital’s South Tower lobby.

The victim suffered a non life-threatening injury, according to officials.
===========

And another gun owner who knows how to "stand his ground":

========
Florida man cites ‘Stand Your Ground’ law after shooting unarmed ex-girlfriend in face at Denny’s

10 Aug 2016 at 15:27 ET

A Miami man is invoking Florida’s controversial “Stand Your Ground” law in the shooting of his unarmed ex-girlfriend in a restroom at a Denny’s restaurant.

According to the Miami Herald, accused gunman Sean Barnes is asking a Miami-Dade Circuit Court Judge Charles Johnson to dismiss the attempted murder charges against him on the grounds that he was defending himself and in fear for his life.

Barnes claims that when he followed his former girlfriend Brooke Tuchinksy into a Denny’s women’s bathroom in August 2013, he saw her “grab a shiny object” out of her purse, at which point he opened fire, striking Tuchinsky in the face and breaking her jaw.

Tuchinsky survived the attack and is expected to testify in court on Wednesday that Barnes was trying to kill her.

Days before the attack, in the midst of a stormy, acrimonious breakup, Barnes reportedly told Tuchinsky, “I bought a new gun and would love to use it on you and make it look like an accident or self-defense.”
=========

So let that be a lesson to all you women out there. Don't pull anything shiny out of your purse if you want to avoid being shot in the face, especially in a women's bathroom. At least in Florida.