obelixtim

Save us from stupid.....

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/03/26/the-rights-stupidity-forces-snopes-to-debunk-an-article-by-the-onion-screenshots/

Last week, President Obama made a historic trip to Cuba and the right-wing went absolutely insane. Republicans were outraged that our president had the audacity to reestablish a relationship with the country more than fifty years after the Cuban Missile Crisis. After the trip to Cuba, The Onion, a satire website, decided to post a fictional article about his trip home; but, in a hilarious turn of events, paranoid conservatives didn’t get the joke and Snopes actually had to debunk the article.

On March 23, The Onion shared a doctored picture of Air Force One flying low with a bunch of people on its wings and the photo was captioned,”Hundreds Of Cuban Refugees Clinging To Air Force One On Flight Back To U.S.”:

The comment section under the article soon filled with people who thought it was real:

on oni onio onion

I’ve chosen not to blur out their names because the comments were all made in a public forum.

You’ll notice that a lot of them blame Obama for bringing more “illegals” into the country. Well, apparently, the outrage didn’t extend only to The Onion’s Facebook page, people actually emailed Snopes en masse asking the fact-checker website if the picture was real.

This flood of emails forced Snopes to actually debunk an article by the well-known satire site. Snopes gave an example of one of the emails the received:

There is a posting of a photograph with people on the wings of a plane and falling from the sky. “Hundreds of Cubans clinging to Wings of Air Force One on the way to the US” Reference Onion.com I find this very hard to believe. I believe it was photoshopped.

We shall call them Captain Obvious.

When you read the comment section of the original article, you realize that Donald Trump’s rise in the Republican Party makes a whole lot of sense. The people who thought Cubans were actually clinging to the wings of Air Force One are probably the same people who think Drumpf is a real smart man who is going to turn this country around. They suffer so greatly from Obama Derangement Syndrome that they are falling for obvious satire. And as hilarious as it is, it’s also really, really sad that our country is filled with this many stupid people.

Featured image via screenshot

Is it actually possible that people are so stupid?
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

yoink

***https://youtu.be/cesSRfXqS1Q

You think Republicans have the market cornered on stupid? Hehe

Anyways, off to SC in 3, 2,...

Holy shit.

I can't watch that. :|

I can't believe it even lasted this long in Bonfire.

THE MODS ARE ASLEEP. EVERYONE STEAL THE INTERTUBES!!
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

I think this thread is perfect exactly as it is, and where it is. As long as it's locked so it can't descend into politics instead of stupidity.

News flash
They're walking all around, and they don't even know it :)

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

yoink

***https://youtu.be/cesSRfXqS1Q

Holy shit.

It -IS- difficult to see the real Democratic Party operate in session.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

******https://youtu.be/cesSRfXqS1Q

Holy shit.

It's a single member of the Democratic Party acting like he's got a room temperature IQ - not the whole party. I'm sure there are others, just as I'm sure there are people in the Democratic party who are really intelligent. You know JUST LIKE EVERYWHERE ELSE IN LIFE, even in your preferred party or at the dropzone.

This type of deliberate and provocative ignorance gets really tedious after the 8 thousandth time.

Newsflash. Not everything is about political parties. In fact people trying to make it so is what has driven the politics to the complete shitshow it is today.

yoink

*********https://youtu.be/cesSRfXqS1Q

Holy shit.

It's a single member of the Democratic Party acting like he's got a room temperature IQ - not the whole party. I'm sure there are others, just as I'm sure there are people in the Democratic party who are really intelligent. You know JUST LIKE EVERYWHERE ELSE IN LIFE, even in your preferred party or at the dropzone.

This type of deliberate and provocative ignorance gets really tedious after the 8 thousandth time.

Newsflash. Not everything is about political parties. In fact people trying to make it so is what has driven the politics to the complete shitshow it is today.

So, if it disturbs you so much that you take it overly serious and feel like you have to defend your party - why bother reading it?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

So, if it disturbs you so much that you take it overly serious and feel like you have to defend your party - why bother reading it?

They're not my party. And you might get away with joking it off if 95% of your posts didn't have the same trend. The boy who cried wolf and everything...

But in the same way that I don't tolerate racism when I see / hear it, I try and fight against deliberate ignorance as well.

I honestly believe the internet is one of mankind's greatest inventions. The ability to share knowledge and education as we can is revolutionary and (I believe) is a huge benefit for us as a species.

Deliberately pissing into that pool for the sake of political posturing offends me.

yoink

They're not my party. And you might get away with joking it off if 95% of your posts didn't have the same trend. The boy who cried wolf and everything...

But in the same way that I don't tolerate racism when I see / hear it, I try and fight against deliberate ignorance as well.

I honestly believe the internet is one of mankind's greatest inventions. The ability to share knowledge and education as we can is revolutionary and (I believe) is a huge benefit for us as a species.

Deliberately pissing into that pool for the sake of political posturing offends me.

And do you have the right to not be offended?

yoink

So you were offended by the OP? (I almost miss SC)
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

TriGirl

Is it actually possible that people are so stupid?

Luckily, it seems this socially conscious group of scientists are trying to stem the tide:

http://www.theonion.com/article/scientists-slowly-reintroducing-small-group-normal-52632
:D:D:D

Granted it is New York - But I REALLY wish they would do that in California, and Chicago.