rushmc

"Maryland’s ban on commonly owned firearms and magazines clearly violates our fundamental, individual right to keep and bear arms for self-defense."

Good news

A 2-1 ruling Thursday by the federal 4th Circuit Court of Appeals struck a blow to a Maryland law that placed a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity magazines. It was former Gov. Martin O'Malley who in 2013 hastily enacted the ban shortly after the Newtown school massacre.

The judges concluded that these types of weapons "are in common use by law-abiding citizens" and cannot be considered "unusual" like hand grenades or fully-automatic machine guns. As such, semi-automatic weapons don't fall under any Second Amendment exceptions.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Semi auto rifles and "high capacity" magazines are not legal yet.

The biggest piece of this ruling is that it was kick back down to the lower court and they must re-evaluate using strict scrutiny.
(like what they generally do when placing restrictions on other amendments)

Up to this point, the 2nd amendment was a "lesser amendment" and all that was needed to place limits on it was intermediate scrutiny. With intermediate scrutiny all a court would have to say is "public safety" and anything would pass.

So we are not out of the woods yet, but we are now at least one step closer to welcoming the second amendment back to the constitution.

And if this holds mustard, hopefully a lot of other restrictions can be taken back and re-evaluated under the same standard.
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

jgoose71

Semi auto rifles and "high capacity" magazines are not legal yet.

The biggest piece of this ruling is that it was kick back down to the lower court and they must re-evaluate using strict scrutiny.
(like what they generally do when placing restrictions on other amendments)

Up to this point, the 2nd amendment was a "lesser amendment" and all that was needed to place limits on it was intermediate scrutiny. With intermediate scrutiny all a court would have to say is "public safety" and anything would pass.

So we are not out of the woods yet, but we are now at least one step closer to welcoming the second amendment back to the constitution.

And if this holds mustard, hopefully a lot of other restrictions can be taken back and re-evaluated under the same standard.

And in addition to all that, this ruling contradicts other federal court findings which determined that local assault weapon bans *were* constitutional. So with a difference of opinion among federal districts, the issue is now ripe for the Supreme Court to hear the case and make a final determination.

StreetScooby

I was talking to a guy I know on the train platform this morning, who hunts (bow/gun). He mentioned New York State is trying to pass a law where ammunition will "expire". Unbelievable.

Got a link?

No, I don't have a link. Had no reason to doubt what he was saying. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for any further info on this. I googled this morning, also, and didn't see anything about this.

I included the original post for clarity. :)
There have been a couple attempts at this. None have gone anywhere. Sort of like the "taggants" idea for powder.

The basic idea is to foil the "hoarders" by having the ammo go bad in a set time.

The problem is that there is no way to do it. Not effectively or cheaply anyway.
They found that anything that will affect the primer part will either work immediately, or not at all. And some of the things that will deactivate a primer will dissipate. Once gone, the primer will function just fine.
While powder can (and does) deteriorate under certain conditions, if stored properly, ammo will last for a long, long, long time and still be functional. I know guys that have gotten WWI surplus .30-06 stuff that works (as of a couple years ago). That's nearly a century.

The idea of making ammo a perishable commodity is suggested by people who have no clue what they are talking about (like anti-gun politicians).
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Stumpy

The point is it sounds like fear mongering when there may well be nothing of the sort happening. You'd think if there was any truth at all in it the right wing rags would be all over it.

When I googled it I found that some Ny legislators have announced a plan to limit ammo sales to twice the capacity of the registered gun per 90 days. So theoretically someone who owned a 6 shot revolver could only buy 12 bullets in a 3 month period.

I didn't see anything to indicate that it is likely to happen, though.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

jakee

***The point is it sounds like fear mongering when there may well be nothing of the sort happening. You'd think if there was any truth at all in it the right wing rags would be all over it.

When I googled it I found that some Ny legislators have announced a plan to limit ammo sales to twice the capacity of the registered gun per 90 days. So theoretically someone who owned a 6 shot revolver could only buy 12 bullets in a 3 month period.

I didn't see anything to indicate that it is likely to happen, though.

Sounds like a brilliant idea!!! Last thing we want is people to be safe and proficient with their firearms....
"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

DanG

And if this holds mustard...

It would be even better if it held muster, but I like mustard, especially Dee John.

Clearly this is a mute point.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

And if this holds mustard...

It would be even better if it held muster, but I like mustard, especially Dee John.

Clearly this is a mute point.....

Unclearly it is a moot point, but rather blunt.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

DanG

He should take a different tact.

I going to use that one, (but was worried I'd accidentally use it correctly instead of mockingly) - but had to go with the common bastardization of 'mute' instead.

One must always insure the proper use of words when they sound the same.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

rehmwa

***He should take a different tact.

I going to use that one, (but was worried I'd accidentally use it correctly instead of mockingly) - but had to go with the common bastardization of 'mute' instead.

One must always insure the proper use of words when they sound the same.

You must be right, irregardless.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

You must be right, irregardless.

you got that right. It bares repeating.

oops, sorry, it warrents repeating

rehmwa

***You must be right, irregardless.

you got that right. It bares repeating.

oops, sorry, it warrents repeating

Have no allusion, I fully intend to illicit the right rite from your right, right?