Amazon

Drone Skeet

Amazon

Yes, I'd have done the exact same thing. Got a drone? Fine. Got a camera on it? Fine. Hover it over MY property trying to video or take pictures of MY property or MY family? FUCK YOU, I'm shooting the motherfucker down. :|
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

from another article "Merideth’s neighbor, Kim VanMeter, said she has a 16-year-old daughter who lies out in the backyard and the drone hovered over their house, “stayed for a few moments and then she finally waved and it took off.”

fuck that creep with the drone
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Rick

from another article "Merideth’s neighbor, Kim VanMeter, said she has a 16-year-old daughter who lies out in the backyard and the drone hovered over their house, “stayed for a few moments and then she finally waved and it took off.”

They are cool toys..... I love playing with mine.... but when some idiot starts using them in a manner that has a high potential for creepiness OR possible illegal activities... the idiots just harm everyones future use of them for legit activity.

Amazon

***from another article "Merideth’s neighbor, Kim VanMeter, said she has a 16-year-old daughter who lies out in the backyard and the drone hovered over their house, “stayed for a few moments and then she finally waved and it took off.”

They are cool toys..... I love playing with mine.... but when some idiot starts using them in a manner that has a high potential for creepiness OR possible illegal activities... the idiots just harm everyones future use of them for legit activity.

See, we CAN agree on some stuff.:P
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

a) If four people drove to his house "minutes later" and yelled at him for shooting their drone that kinda outs them as having used the drone to snoop on the guy (even if it wasn't personal, i.e. they just wanted to spy on whomever.) I wonder if the camera was streaming and recording locally and if the memory card survived.

b) If you knew someone just shot your drone down, why in the god damn world would you go to that person's property immediately afterwords and confront them?

c) The guy has a point about #8 shot. Frankly at "suburb distances" unless you shoot directly at someone or directly through a window or something you're not going to hurt bystanders. I live in a city though, so I definitely wouldn't try this.

d) I'm curious to know, of anyone who objects, what their feeling would be if the guy used something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE1ZRupUfPo (a net gun.)

If you knew someone just shot your drone down, why in the god damn world would you go to that person's property immediately afterwords and confront them?

a. "Hold my beer and watch this."
b. You do know it was Kentucky, right?

champu

a) If four people drove to his house "minutes later" and yelled at him for shooting their drone that kinda outs them as having used the drone to snoop on the guy (even if it wasn't personal, i.e. they just wanted to spy on whomever.) I wonder if the camera was streaming and recording locally and if the memory card survived.

b) If you knew someone just shot your drone down, why in the god damn world would you go to that person's property immediately afterwords and confront them?

c) The guy has a point about #8 shot. Frankly at "suburb distances" unless you shoot directly at someone or directly through a window or something you're not going to hurt bystanders. I live in a city though, so I definitely wouldn't try this.

d) I'm curious to know, of anyone who objects, what their feeling would be if the guy used something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE1ZRupUfPo (a net gun.)

I don't think they're used all that much. I only say that because I don't see anything in the news about them. I could be wrong. Shooting a drone out of the sky with one of those net guns would probably still damage it when it crashes to the ground, depending on how high it was and what the ground surface is. But it would likely be safer than having buckshot falling all over if they miss the target.

Driver1

***a) If four people drove to his house "minutes later" and yelled at him for shooting their drone that kinda outs them as having used the drone to snoop on the guy (even if it wasn't personal, i.e. they just wanted to spy on whomever.) I wonder if the camera was streaming and recording locally and if the memory card survived.

I don't think they're used all that much. I only say that because I don't see anything in the news about them. I could be wrong. Shooting a drone out of the sky with one of those net guns would probably still damage it when it crashes to the ground, depending on how high it was and what the ground surface is. But it would likely be safer than having buckshot falling all over if they miss the target.

I used to live on my boat in a small marina across the road from a gun club where a lot of clay pigeons met their end.... sometimes some of the less skilled shooters would launch some shot over the road and it would rain down on our boats.... no damage other than just make sure any steel shot was cleaned up before the next rain...

Driver1

***I'm thinking a simple paintball gun could do enough damage to bring one down.

Indiana Jones could knock it down with his whip if its low enough. :D

Elly May Clampett could bring it down with her slingshot.:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

******I'm thinking a simple paintball gun could do enough damage to bring one down.

Oh God, I loved watching her as a kid. :D

Driver1

*********I'm thinking a simple paintball gun could do enough damage to bring one down.

Oh God, I loved watching her as a kid. :D

Daisy and the Duke boys with their bow and arrows, little txt attached . . . No evidence.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

There have been court cases about incidents like this, and the shooter was required to pay for a new multi rotor in the end.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/06/29/court_rules_that_neighbor_has_to_pay_for_drone_he_shot_down.html

If the FAA wants to classify them as aircraft to charge people for flying them in whatever bullshit way they deem, then shooting at them should be considered the same; discharging a weapon at an aircraft in flight.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

There have been court cases about incidents like this, and the shooter was required to pay for a new multi rotor in the end.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2015/06/29/court_rules_that_neighbor_has_to_pay_for_drone_he_shot_down.html

If the FAA wants to classify them as aircraft to charge people for flying them in whatever bullshit way they deem, then shooting at them should be considered the same; discharging a weapon at an aircraft in flight.

I just don't think the law has caught up with the times, as drones for personal use is a relatively new technology.

That said, there needs to be limits on drone use as it pertains to invasion of personal property. People are going to have to contact their representatives in congress and get something passed that will give them defensive recourse against drone flyers.

Driver1

***There have been court cases about incidents like this, and the shooter was required to pay for a new multi rotor in the end.

I just don't think the law has caught up with the times, as drones for personal use is a relatively new technology.

That said, there needs to be limits on drone use as it pertains to invasion of personal property. People are going to have to contact their representatives in congress and get something passed that will give them defensive recourse against drone flyers.

You each make good points. That said, I do agree that the state of the law needs to catch up with the current state of the technology & its rapidly-evolving use.

Most multirotors are not powerful enough to haul cameras. Is your problem with the cameras or simply being in the airspace above someone else's property line? Should kites be banned then too? Some of the ones I have make more noise than my quads when diving and turning them.

Also I hate the word "drone". The predator the military uses is a drone, a tri-quad-or hex copter that I build for $150 from hobby king is just a r/c multirotor.

Postes r made from an iPad or iPhone. Spelling and gramhair mistakes guaranteed move along,

Anvilbrother

Most multirotors are not powerful enough to haul cameras. Is your problem with the cameras or simply being in the airspace above someone else's property line? Should kites be banned then too? Some of the ones I have make more noise than my quads when diving and turning them.

Also I hate the word "drone". The predator the military uses is a drone, a tri-quad-or hex copter that I build for $150 from hobby king is just a r/c multirotor.

Most?

Hell, "most" have built in cameras - even this parrot drone, at $100 U.S. Has one installed by the factory.

Parrot mini drone

As a person in the hobby I can tell you most of the ones out there that people buy don't have cameras. Sure you can get some shitty ones with 240lines of resolution that fly 5 minutes like a brick for cheap, but not many people are buying those. If your gonna get a camera get one with 1080p or with a gym all for a gopro, and those cost $1000+ and are not bought by every 10 year old at the flying field.

Anvilbrother

As a person in the hobby I can tell you most of the ones out there that people buy don't have cameras. Sure you can get some shitty ones with 240lines of resolution that fly 5 minutes like a brick for cheap, but not many people are buying those. If your gonna get a camera get one with 1080p or with a gym all for a gopro, and those cost $1000+ and are not bought by every 10 year old at the flying field.

How many of the ones you are talking about are mass produced?

I know that the parrot is, and for a reason, they are cheap, and easy to fly.

I think your opinion of what most is, is flawed.

MOST people cannot afford a 1200 dollar toy.

Most can afford a 100 dollar toy.

> Sure you can get some shitty ones with 240lines of resolution that fly 5
>minutes like a brick for cheap, but not many people are buying those.

I have one that cost $129 and has a 4 megapixel camera. Takes reasonably good pictures as long as the light is good. Will fly for 20 minutes.

Once again no one is saying that you can't buy them or that no one has them. I am saying from my actual observation at the flying fields and indoor places not as manypeople are not buying as many of those quads with cameras as they are buying something like the blade nano without camera .

Just like skydiving there are more people entering the sport buying cheaper smaller quads(used student gear) that they can crash and abuse before they usually quit the sport soon after than there are people staying in long enough to buy bigger quads with cameras and FPV gear($9k rigs) that cost more when you smash them.