xlh883

Got my A license Wednesday, then had my first incident the next jump

Doh!

So, I knocked out my dive to dock requirements Wednesday morning and checkout jump. Did the test and my coach signed off my card. I had him the entire day so he thought it might be good to do one more instructional jump by doing a two way exit as a hop'n'pop.

The pilot only went to 4500' instead of the requested 600' So, we just did a regular hop 'n' pop. No big deal.

On downwind I was getting knocked around a bit. On base, got knocked around a bit more. Turned final about 350 feet and into the wind. Got knocked a bit at 250'. I had to start crabbing into the wind a little. At about fifty feet, I saw the pennant in front of me turn 90 degrees right to the east. Instant crosswind. I got knocked around a bit more and then my feet slammed into the ground, my back felt like it compressed, I went down onto my butt.

The next thing I knew I could only breathe in a little bit and wheeze out with every breath. I had the wind knocked out of me.

The pickup truck guy came over to check on me as I didnt' get up. He asked me if I wanted an ambulance. I told him I did.

I was rushed to the level 3 trauma center locally.

Long story short, it turns out that the witnesses that saw me land saw the right side of my canopy collapse and drop me to the ground. This was about 2:30pm when this happened at Perris Valley.

There were storms all around the area and the hear was building. Everyone thinks that I hit the beginnings of a dust devil but no dust was in it. My coach said I was in a full flare and did all the right things by continuing to fly the parachute.

Any way, I have a fractured T5 vertabrae and a bruised rump. I think I did everything right and got lucky as this could have been much worse.

I am unfortunately down for 6 weeks. How ironic is it to get one's license and then get hurt the same day. It sucks.

Thanks to the Perris Valley staff for getting the ambulance so quickly and taking care of my gear for me.

I am also the guy that posted in early June that I could do my AFF level I cause I was too scared. Here I am at the 60 jump mark and it doesn'
t bother me to jump out of airplaens any more. Muchn tunnel time and much coaching has gotten me to this point. Having my A license is so sweet now! I haev worked so hard. Much more learnign and work to do ahead.

David

Sorry to hear that your out for the next six weeks but at least its not longer....(i know that doesn't help). Sounds like you did everything that you were suppose to do which as a new jumper is often what I worry about.
Oh and congrats on the A!!!!
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I'm sorry to hear such things.
I can you good understand, because i also had to fight with fear in my first 50 jumps....and i was injured after my first jump, by landing at a tree.

Today i'm flying wingsuits.

Good luck for your way back in the sport and first for you recovery!

Sorry to hear about your accident. sounds like you did everything the best you could, but sometimes "shit happens" anyway. Especially in the So Cal desert in summertime, with temps over 100 degrees, higher field elevations, very high density altitude, and those delightful wind devils. Look at the bright side of things - it could've been worse, you will recover and get back in the air, and if you can handle summertime conditions at Perris or Elsinore, you'll be amazed at what a great canopy pilot you'll be anywhere else.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

what do you mean by "very high density altitude"

Density Altitude is the altitude that your canopy "feels like" it is flying at. The density of air goes down as the heat goes up due to the fact that there are fewer molecules of air in a given volume. The term "Density Altitude" is used to describe the altitude that at standard temperature and pressure you would find that density of air. Here in Colorado, we land at about 5500 feet above sea level, however on a hot, low pressure, day in the summer, it is not uncommon to have a density altitude in excess of 10,000 feet.

THanks for the wish for a good recovery. To excplain my jumps, I already had 3 tandems and 11 S/L jumps from about 3 years ago prior to starting AFF in early June. I did all my AFF in 5 days and did a bunch of solo's. After that, things went down hill somewhat trying to get my A. Had a lot of work in specific areas I needed done so I hired a coach for a day 5 separate times. That is how I got so many jumps before getting my A. My coach was a perfectionist but he built me a really good foundation to work from.

Some people are able to do the A in 25 jumps, it takes others some time to do it. You are lucky to me that you could do it that quickly, but after all the hard work I put in, I was sooooo happy when I got signed off. I only need a little more work on the diving exits, and my coach said everything else is good for now. On to RW.

David

but sometimes "shit happens" anyway. Especially in the So Cal desert in summertime, with temps over 100 degrees, higher field elevations, very high density altitude, and those delightful wind devils.

Which are all excellent reasons to find something other than skydiving to do until conditions are better.

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like classic wind shear with the sock shifting and all.

I had a very similar incident a year ago at a different DZ, including the partial deflation (when you hit shear you stall, lose pressurization and the upwind cells can get blown flat & even under your canopy). It's too late for you this time but if you see the sock switch 90 degrees then you need to bisect the angle between the two upwind directions, otherwise you're risking a significant change in airspeed and probable canopy stall on final if the wind is moderate to strong. In bisecting the angle you eliminate 70% of the variation in airspeed caused by a 90 degree direction switch.

I'm convinced this sort of thing happens reasonably frequently. Don't be surprised if you begin to notice similar incidents crop up and/or maybe spot them in the archives.

I tend to sit it out when I see the wind switch at Perris after my incident even though mine wasn't there. On some days I've noticed there's a turbulent phase in the early afternoon where the prevailing direction will switch and the transition is generally turbulent, maybe that's what you found yourself in.

Heal fast.

Thanks for the advice. I know I am not the only person this type of thign has happened to.

I usually noice the wind shift at Perris also and when it picks up. But last week and thsi week have both been quite different for what I have gotten used to.

Anyway, it won't be a problem for me at Perris any more since Friday I am moving otu of state. I will be moving to Ohio and will have to learn the weather patterns at a new dropzone again.

I do hope to return sometime soon though. I really like Perris and everyone there. Great DZ. I am going to go spend a few months with my family since my Dad isn't doing so well.

Blue Skies!

David

Today i'm flying wingsuits.

Please tell me your profile (jump #) needs updating...

And to all, what's with this "first incident" and "first recovery" stuff? How about sitting out when things aren't right and not having any injuries to recover from? :S

Sorry if I seem like a bit of a "troll," but we don't want anyone to think incidents are the norm. They really aren't. I know many, many people with thousands of jumps who have avoided injury by making smart decisions. Maybe they're just "lucky."

xlh883, glad you are relatively ok and will heal in about 6 weeks. I'm not saying that you did anything wrong, but it sounds like that may have been a good day to stay on the ground?

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

I know it's difficult to listen to the "little voice" sometimes, but it can really speak volumes. ;)

No one wants to stay on the ground, stand down from that "iffy" group jump, or repack that "questionable" pack job, but experience will make that little voice much more persistent and one that you listen to time and time again. It will save your life if you listen.

I've ignored it a time or two myself and was lucky to only experience relatively minor consequences. No more...I listen with both ears now. :)

When you see experienced (especially non-working) jumpers sitting out, that is a very large "hint" that you should too. Glad to hear that your injury will only give you more time to learn, rather than a permanent grounding lesson.

We all make bad choices from time to time. The ugliness of skydiving is that some of us don't get the opportunity to learn from them and continue. That's why it is sooo important to learn from the lessons written in blood before us. Don't repeat mistakes already made by others.

Wishing you many, many more jumps and many, many more years! Heal quick and go at your own pace. B|

Blue Ones!

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.