ryoder

Baltimore prosecutor charges police with murder in death of Freddie Gray

billvon

>Is that the case when the defense attorney is defending some thug?

Depends. Is the thug white? Did he have Skittles on him?

white.. thug surely you jest :|
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Public defenders aren't crappy attorneys, they are underpaid, have huge often unmanageable case loads, and some lack experience.

I used to run with several back when I was young, they were fun to hang out with and I liked most of them a lot, and respected what they did. They were the same of me.

When you are in true legal jeopardy, you get what you pay for.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

skycop

Public defenders aren't crappy attorneys, they are underpaid, have huge often unmanageable case loads, and some lack experience.

I used to run with several back when I was young, they were fun to hang out with and I liked most of them a lot, and respected what they did. They were the same of me.

When you are in true legal jeopardy, you get what you pay for.

You were almost there, until the last sentence. Public defender trial attorneys are highly trained in the specialty of criminal trial defense, and tend to practice at the very highest level of proficiency. It is exceedingly rare that a PD is assigned to try a serious case until he has considerable experience and has demonstrated very high levels of skill. Notwithstanding the erroneous public perception of PDs, bolstered by the silly, unfounded near-slander of them spread by others in the legal system, particularly DAs and cops, PDs tend to be among the best criminal defense attorneys in the country. 9 out of 10 of private criminal defense attorneys, even the good ones, without PD experience (and that includes former prosecutors), aren't as good as experienced PDs or former PDs. The public generally is not aware of this. Lots of cops try to get away with the "you get what you pay for" slander shit, but they generally back off when called out and challenged with actual facts.

wmw999

These cops will have the best defense possible, and eventually the actual facts wil matter

Is that the case when the defense attorney is defending some thug?

Wendy P.

Well, according to the law firm of Andy & Andy, the answer would seem to be a resounding yes!
Never was there an answer....not without listening, without seeing - Gilmour

A little sensitive are we?

I never said they were incompetent, did you miss the part where I said I respected what they did/do?

It's not an issue of ability, in my experience it's an issue of quantity vs. quality and what is lost to both.

PD's are like every other profession, there are good ones, bad ones, decent ones etc.

Unfortunately it's the luck of the draw sometimes, you know that as well as I do. Same goes with prosecutors.

It's funny, I give even the slightest perceived slight of something you hold dear, and you go all medieval.
But when I challenge cop bashers with actual facts it's different.

Lots of cops try to get away with the "you get what you pay for" slander shit, but they generally back off when called out and challenged with actual facts.

Challenged and met with same.

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

skycop

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/oped/bs-ed-freddie-gray-mosby-20150505-story.html

I've said it will get interesting when the actual facts come out.
If this is true, things will get more interesting.

Those cops will have the best defense possible, and eventually the actual facts will matter, and have to be decided on by a jury.

A hastened and potentially politically motivated prosecution hurts the case, doesn't help it.

On a side note.....
The Baltimore mayor is looking more like Ray Nagin everyday. Before everyone freaks out, it's not about race, it's about incompetent leadership of a major city.

"Incompetent leadership" is a racial code word.

It is only used by racist honkies.