ibx

FBI admits flaws in hair analysis over decades

jakee

You lost the war. Get over it.

A) I wasn't alive in the 1940s and I'm not a german, so... eh?

B) Germans don't care about the WW2 anymore. They're not holding a grudge. It has nothing to do with their motivations for posting any topic.

C) If the topic is valid, it's valid, if it's not, it's not and that is independent of the nationality of the person posting it.

actually, it seems the germans do care about WW2. I was just reading about a 93 year old accountant from Auschwitz who is going on trial for murdering 300,000 people, and two others, one of whom was a paramedic at the hospital in Auschwitz who had nothing to do with the prisoners, only dealt with german soldiers. he is 92, I believe. The prosecutors were bringing in dozensof witnesses to testify. So your statement would seem to be wrong.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

And I've noticed that the Godwin card gets played pretty frequently. And for some reason it's the English who play it. Godwin's law is about making analogies to Nazis. I didn't make an analogy to Nazis. I actually directly referenced the German government of the late 30s and early 40s as an example of a government that proved that it could be effective and efficient at something when it devoted itself to an ambition.

Only a lawyer could try to formulate such bullshit! That was a perfect Godwin.

I can't believe you are a professional, your response is childish and pathetic.

But you have almost manged to derail the thread by creating imaginary controversy( Germans vs. US) and not said single word about issue at hand.

You are an expert in the Ciubaca defense.

lawrocket

And I've noticed that the Godwin card gets played pretty frequently. And for some reason it's the English who play it.

:D:D Good one!

Godwin's law is about making analogies to Nazis. I didn't make an analogy to Nazis. I actually directly referenced the German government of the late 30s and early 40s as an example of a government that proved that it could be effective and efficient at something when it devoted itself to an ambition.

It wasn't an analogy. It was an example. From history

It was a comparison. To the Nazis. Which is the precise wording of Godwin's Law.

Not to mention it's irrelevant and misses the lint, but you knew that already.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

lawrocket

I dunno. The government of Germany in the late 30s and early 40s could be counted on to kill pretty efficiently and reliably.

Governments are really good at killing people. they can do that reliably.

There is a reason why Godwin became a thing, y'know.

And I've noticed that the Godwin card gets played pretty frequently. And for some reason it's the English who play it.

Incorrect.

www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results&search_forum=forum_35&search_string=Godwin&search_type=AND&search_fields=bdy&search_time=1y&search_user_username=&sb=score&mh=25

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Only a lawyer could try to formulate such bullshit!

We do our best t spread the gospel. It's a calling. Then others try to emulate us. They're so jealous.

That said, yeah, he totally Godwined it. It's just thinly veiled. Be we all understand it.
Winkie winkie! ;);)

kallend

I am truly amazed that anyone can defend capital punishment in the USA. The number of errors is amazing.

Found the attached today which looks at it from a purely fiduciary viewpoint in CA:

taken from http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32299402

"Using data from a university study, published by the Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review, it shows the average amount of money spent per death - just over £200m."

Far more than it costs just to lock them up, so even if trials were 100% accurate (which they aren't) it still wouldn't make any sense unless you're just our for revenge...

More, on topic:

www.nytimes.com/2015/04/21/opinion/fix-the-flaws-in-forensic-science.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-0&action=click&contentCollection=Opinion®ion=Footer&module=MoreInSection&pgtype=article

Then, several years ago, three men from the Washington area — Kirk Odom, Santae Tribble and Donald Gates — were exonerated in separate cases. They had served more than 70 years in prison in total. In each case, F.B.I. examiners had told juries that the defendant’s hair matched hair at the crime scene, based on microscopic hair analysis. One prosecutor put the odds at perhaps one in 10 million that the hairs belonged to someone other than the defendant. (In fact, subsequent DNA testing found that none of the hair samples matched the defendant, and that one was from a dog.)

To its credit, the Justice Department reached an agreement with the Innocence Project to review F.B.I. testimony about hair analysis in more than 2,500 cases in more than 40 states from 1985 to 1999. The results of the first 268 cases examined were reported Sunday in The Washington Post. The review found that F.B.I. testimony was fundamentally flawed in 257 of those cases — a stunning 96 percent of the total. Of those defendants, 33 received the death penalty and nine have been executed so far. Although the errors don’t necessarily mean the defendants are innocent — other evidence might have supported conviction — the F.B.I. plans to notify prosecutors and prisoners of the findings.

Part of my issue is that capital punishment has been DE facto abolished in California for quite some time. A decade. It's so bad that a federal judge found the system arbitrary. California waits so long to execute anybody and does it so rarely that it is in effect a life sentence with possibility of death. Thus being unusual.

Add to that moratorium and stuff it's become ridiculous to even sentence a person to it. But hey, keep it going. I understand death row is actually full. Get that. It's full. No vacancies.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

Part of my issue is that capital punishment has been DE facto abolished in California for quite some time. A decade. It's so bad that a federal judge found the system arbitrary. California waits so long to execute anybody and does it so rarely that it is in effect a life sentence with possibility of death. Thus being unusual.

Add to that moratorium and stuff it's become ridiculous to even sentence a person to it. But hey, keep it going. I understand death row is actually full. Get that. It's full. No vacancies.

Does that mean that the laws prevent death?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Driver1

Or it could be our German friends griping about not being a world superpower anymore, having been decimated by their failures in WWI and WWII, and we bombed the shit out of them in the latter. :P

You know, it's understandable, what with that being the last time the US actually won a war you need to clutch at something to sustain your oversized ego, but it's nearly 70 years now and no one here had any part of it. The "my (gran)dad is bigger than yours" gets tiresome... :P

Back on topic, more news from the land of the free http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/glenn-ford-watch-as-innocent-man-who-spent-31-years-on-death-row-meets-prosecutors-who-put-him-there-10192756.html

Driver1

Or it could be our German friends griping about not being a world superpower anymore, having been decimated by their failures in WWI and WWII, and we bombed the shit out of them in the latter. :P

In the interests of accuracy, the Nazis did not win WWII because they were unable to take Britain in 1940, and the Nazis lost WW2 because the Russians killed more Germans than all the other allies combined.

kallend

In the interests of accuracy, the Nazis did not win WWII because they were unable to take Britain in 1940, and the Nazis lost WW2 because the Russians killed more Germans than all the other allies combined.

True. The American role in the European theater was as a casual observer. Only American greed kept the British fed and armed during that time.

Russians killed more Germans and suffered more casualties than any other country. The Russians and the British certainly contained German expansion. The US moved in for the kill. The British could not have invaded France and Germany, could not have cleared Rommenoutnof North Africa and moved north through Italy. Nor could the Russians have attacked from the east without German defenses being grinned out.

The US kept Britain alive. A thank you would be nice. :P

lawrocket

The British could not have invaded France and Germany, could not have cleared Rommenoutnof North Africa and moved north through Italy.

I assume you meant "Rommel".

The Second Battle of El Alamein (23 October – 11 November 1942) took place near the Egyptian coastal city of El Alamein. With the Allies victorious, it marked a major turning point in the Western Desert Campaign of the Second World War. It followed the First Battle of El Alamein, which had stalled the Axis advance into Egypt, after which, in August 1942, Lieutenant-General Bernard Montgomery had taken command of the British Eighth Army from General Claude Auchinleck. This victory turned the tide in the North African Campaign and ended the Axis threat to Egypt, the Suez Canal, and of gaining access to the Middle Eastern and Persian oil fields via North Africa.

No US soldiers engaged any Germans until mid November 1942. Kasserine Pass didn't work out too well either.

Rommel's supply lines were effectively cut by the Royal Navy combined with decoded Enigma intelligence from Bletchley Park.

Thank you.

GoneCodFishing

So what did you personally do to deserve anyone's gratitude? :P

I demand reparations from Britain. Hundreds of thousands of American casualties and buy billion of dollars of equipment lost by defending Britain.

It is long past the time. I think $200k per American straight from the crown is acceptable.

lawrocket

I demand reparations from Britain. Hundreds of thousands of American casualties and buy billion of dollars of equipment lost by defending Britain.

It is long past the time. I think $200k per American straight from the crown is acceptable.

Only to white americans though right, you guys have long established that black americans don't deserve reparations.

lawrocket

Hitler and Mussolini declared war on the USA, December 11, 1941. US responded a day later.

Learn some history, will you.

Andy9o8

No US soldiers engaged any Germans until mid November 1942. Kasserine Pass didn't work out too well either.

Indeed. As comparably bad a first major engagement with the Germans as the Battle of Dunkirk.

Fortunately the US had experienced allies to help them out after Kasserine.