Amazon

Christian Sharia Law

Perhaps in this week after Easter, Where Christians celebrate The rising from the dead of the Lord Jesus we should review some of the Laws of the Old Testament that so many in the GOP Would wish to foist upon an America founded on Freedom of Religion as well as freedom From Religion as many of the forefathers had first hand knowledge of what religious strife had been brought about by Church Laws and official church doctrines.

We have a whole group of people here blithering on and on about the consequences of just one such law from that desert code that is very much similar to the muslim Sharia Law that so many on the fringe right seem to fear.... yet wish to enact their own version in some theocratic nirvana of Christian Sharia Law for lack of a better term.

But beware.... living in such a theocracy would doom many of you to those barbaric penalties for many of the things you yourselves have done in life.

76 Things Banned in Leviticus (and their penalties)

Leviticus is a funny book for modern Christians. Along with Deuteronomy and swathes of Exodus and Numbers, it lays out the Law for the Israelites. But it’s largely ignored by modern Christians because it’s felt that Jesus replaced the Law (except where He didn’t) and that Paul said a lot of it didn’t apply (except for the parts that did). And for all of that, many are still willing to cite Leviticus for things that they think are sinful, while ignoring it for things they don’t.

In other words, people tend to cherry-pick which of the Levitican laws (or, for that matter, all of the Old Covenant, not to mention most of the Bible) they think still apply, and which don’t.

Will he without sin cast the first rock???

Amazon

***Hasn't happened. Isn't happening. Isn't gonna happen. Deal with it.

You are saying there are no laws on the books in this country that are based on Biblical Law.....?

Back to school for you counselor

What would you have instead?

Edit to add: Leviticus is in the Old Testament. You know this. Jesus himself said the Mosaic laws were bogus.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

markharju

******Hasn't happened. Isn't happening. Isn't gonna happen. Deal with it.

You are saying there are no laws on the books in this country that are based on Biblical Law.....?

Edit to add: Leviticus is in the Old Testament. You know this. Jesus himself said the Mosaic laws were bogus.

mh

He also said to love your enemies and turn the other cheek. I don't see that as a conservative Christian value.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

kallend

*********Hasn't happened. Isn't happening. Isn't gonna happen. Deal with it.

mh

He also said to love your enemies and turn the other cheek. I don't see that as a conservative Christian value.

So you're saying you'll turn your other cheek if somebody punches you in the face?
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

> Jesus himself said the Mosaic laws were bogus.

Actually he said the opposite.

Matthew 5:
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 16:17:
It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the Law to become invalid.

John 7:19:
Has not Moses given you the Law? Yet not one of you keeps the Law!

Of course many Christians claim "well, what he REALLY meant was . . ." which is fine. Let's hope they are not so hypocritical as to deny Muslims the same sorts of rationalizations.

Driver1

************Hasn't happened. Isn't happening. Isn't gonna happen. Deal with it.

mh

So you're saying you'll turn your other cheek if somebody punches you in the face?

You assume I'm a Christian?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

markharju

mh

Then why are so many conservatives using that particular one for their deeply held religious belief??????

Cognitive dissonance is so unbecoming......

Amazon

Will one amongst you who is without sin cast the first rock???

And verily, from the rear of the crowd came a stone that smote the woman mightily in the forehead.

Said Jesus, "aw, mom..."

btw, Vayiqra ('Leviticus') is Bronze Age lore from an extended, very dysfunctional, family. It is one of 4 prequels to Devarim ('Deuteronomy'); incorporation of the Tanakh, and Torah in particular, in other works is an infringement of copyright (hey, we answer to a higher authority and all that).

BSBD,

Winsor

markharju

mh

According to Roman Approved accounts that was what he said. Yup, when the Romans wrote down verbatim what he said, it turns out that the Romans were the good guys and his extended family consisted of Very Bad People.

There is NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER that the accounts of Jesus' words and deeds described in Roman documents had any flaws. None.

God said it, I believe it, that settles it.

As an aside, we do not refer to the appended prequel as the "Old Testament." The issue is Hebrew vs. Christian Scriptures, and the Christian Scriptures in question are those that were adopted after the Messianic Movement of Judaism, and editorial privileges for those writings, were co-opted by Rome.

Driver1

mh

Of course he would. It's not like he would have the balls to do anything about it.

billvon

> Jesus himself said the Mosaic laws were bogus.

Actually he said the opposite.

Matthew 5:
Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Luke 16:17:
It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the Law to become invalid.

John 7:19:
Has not Moses given you the Law? Yet not one of you keeps the Law!

Of course many Christians claim "well, what he REALLY meant was . . ." which is fine. Let's hope they are not so hypocritical as to deny Muslims the same sorts of rationalizations.

True. What I meant by my 'bogus' remark was that Jesus wasn't dismissive of Mosaic law, but that there was an alternative; i.e., that it wasn't as important to obey the literal law as it was to be holy and honor the true spirit of the law (the people back then were undoubtedly fed up with all the nonsensical rules for everything. Sort of like islam). This is why all that silliness in Leviticus is no longer observed. True, we moderns cannot and should not cut and paste to suit ourselves, but Jesus himself set the example on many occasions, especially where the powers-that-be at the time were constantly trying to entrap him.

Many here do the same thing. Just sayin'...

And I judge no one.

mh
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Driver1

mh

So you're saying you'll turn your other cheek if somebody punches you in the face?that would give them another target.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Well, I have 4 cheeks. I'd probably turn and tell them to kiss one of the rear cheeks.

Well, in my dreams :P. In real life, if someone were to punch me in the face, I'd probably duck and figure out WTF was going on, because I generally don't do anything to deserve that.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

wmw999

Well, I have 4 cheeks. I'd probably turn and tell them to kiss one of the rear cheeks.

Well, in my dreams :P. In real life, if someone were to punch me in the face, I'd probably duck and figure out WTF was going on, because I generally don't do anything to deserve that.

Wendy P.

No you don't. You're a real sweetie on here. :)
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

regulator

Its quite ironic how you only makes posts to bash conservatives.

Why don't you just send us all a dirty PM then block it using your chickenshit tactics again.

That's to much more effective....to illustrate you are afraid of conflict.

Don't you have any little toys you could go play with.. as a substitute for the one you were born with???

Now run along like a nice little boy.

regulator

Its quite ironic how you only makes posts to bash conservatives.

Why don't you just send us all a dirty PM then block it using your chickenshit tactics again.

I don't think this word means what you think it means. Would it be ironic if a baker baked bread?

Zach

Amazon

***Its quite ironic how you only makes posts to bash conservatives.

Don't you have any little toys you could go play with.. as a substitute for the one you were born with???

Now run along like a nice little boy.

How old are you?:S
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun