stayhigh

Washington Redskins. Needs to change their team name?

Bolas

Solution; Any trait determined solely by DNA: race, hair color, sex, sexual orientation, etc. is no longer a valid description or criteria of or for a group of people and more importantly can't be used as a differentiating metric for statistics or census.

In return, any DNA based name offensive to anyone is subject to censure.

[:/]

So much for the Shamokin Schlongs.

And you never answered my question about Oklahoma. Do you support naming a state such a racially charged name?

I never knew that Oklahoma meant "red people". I'm not offended by it because it's been around for 500 years, and I've never heard anyone of Native American heritage even mention it. It is kind of obnoxious when I think about it. However, even in your most pedantic mode, you have to admit changing a company name that's a racial slur in English is different from changing a state name in Choctaw.

- Dan G

But is the term"niggardly" a pejorative?

It is by definition pejorative, but it's not discriminatory or racist. At least, not if the person using the word knows what it means.

Which probably isn't always the case.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I don't dismiss them. However, I tend to take them less seriously than you do. Most of them appear to be oversensitive non-Native-Americans who feel that people SHOULD be offended by something, rather than the group of people the term refers to who ARE offended by something.

But that's their right; they can be offended by anything they like. If they want to get together and refuse to ever go to a Redskins game, or buy any Redskins paraphernalia, or watch any advertising on a channel that offers Redskins games - that's their right, too, and I support their right to do that.

Your clear implication, Bill (all semantic two-step aside), is that, comparatively, only Injuns (oopsie!) have the highest moral standing to express offense at racial pejoratives describing Native Americans. I reject that. I'm white (AFAIK), and my entire life I've despised the pejorative use of ethnic slurs; and for whatever reason, I find the word "nigger" (as a pejorative) particularly toxic. I don't tolerate it in my presence; I've been yelled at, ridiculed and come close to getting my ass kicked while taking that stand. Despite the fact that my ancestors left Africa voluntarily 70,000 years ago, I feel I have no less moral standing to express that than someone whose ancestors left Africa involuntarily 200 years ago. I don't care if some black people couldn't care less if white people call them "darkies", I'm still offended by it - for myself - and I'll object to it in my presence.

Hey paleskins!

That's right, all you out there that are the beneficiaries of your color.

It doesn't matter that your Grandparents were dirt poor and served baked Spam for dinner three nights a week.

It doesn't matter how hard your parents worked to educate themselves and sacrificed to give you a better start on the ladder.

You are simply reaping the rewards of

(Dum dum DUUUUUM)

WHITE PRIVILEGE!!!!

The real world isn't as black and white as you imply (pun intended).

Yeah, my ancestors were poor, very poor in fact. They worked hard and improved the family's lot in life over generations. But all along the way, it was a tiny bit easier for them because they were white.

Do you really think that black families weren't trying to improve their lot in life over the last 150 years? Of course they were, but even if it's just a little bit harder for them, that uphill battle takes its toll.

It's not that white people are better off because of "white privilege", it's that in the past, on average, it has been easier for them to better themselves than it has been for other races. That's why, on average, the family of the poor white dirt farmer in 1865 is better off today than their black counterparts.

- Dan G

DanG

Hey paleskins!

It doesn't matter that your Grandparents were dirt poor and served baked Spam for dinner three nights a week.

It doesn't matter how hard your parents worked to educate themselves and sacrificed to give you a better start on the ladder.

(Dum dum DUUUUUM)

WHITE PRIVILEGE!!!!

Yeah, my ancestors were poor, very poor in fact. They worked hard and improved the family's lot in life over generations. But all along the way, it was a tiny bit easier for them because they were white.

Do you really think that black families weren't trying to improve their lot in life over the last 150 years? Of course they were, but even if it's just a little bit harder for them, that uphill battle takes its toll.

It's not that white people are better off because of "white privilege", it's that in the past, on average, it has been easier for them to better themselves than it has been for other races. That's why, on average, the family of the poor white dirt farmer in 1865 is better off today than their black counterparts.

Thanks for answering that.
I wonder if those who do not believe whites have an advantage in this country really are willing to ignore those historical facts. My family arrived here in the very early colonial era and some did well and others did not.
Many of them arrived as indentured servants like Augustine Warner did to 1628 Jamestown. Another arrives in Port Tobacco MD in 1660 after having been bought by an English gentleman in Barbados. He was one of the thousands of Irish women and children who were "transported" to the Indies based solely on their religion and the fact they were Irish. He survived his indenture and when he died in 1714 he willed his worldly possessions which included about 1500 acres of tobacco plantations as well as several of his own slaves to his wife till she would pass from this earth then they would be passed to his numerous children.

The laws were written differently even in the earliest days of the colonies that treated the first nation peoples who were here and survived the diseases that Europeans had brought with them. The ill treatment extended to other less desirable races. That difference persisted well into the 20th century and was a huge roadblock to those wishing to just pull themselves up with nonexistent bootstraps. The playing field may have been leveled somewhat during my lifetime and I have seen improvements... but it is still out there... no matter how some wish to deny that.

> only Injuns (oopsie!) have the highest moral standing to express offense at
>racial pejoratives describing Native Americans.

The person/people who were presumably harmed should have the most to say over whether there was harm, yes.

> I'm white (AFAIK), and my entire life I've despised the pejorative use of ethnic
>slurs; and for whatever reason, I find the word "nigger" (as a pejorative)
>particularly toxic.

I do as well. I do that because just about every African-American I have ever met also takes offense at that.

I do not take offense at the term "black" because most African-Americans I have met do not take offense at that, and they would be the ones offended. If they start taking offense at that, then I would probably change my use of that word. Not because you (or advertisers, or people on the Internet) thought that African-Americans SHOULD be offended by it, but because they ARE offended by it.

This is an extension of what I do with everyone. I might call a friend of mine a "joker" but would not do so if the term offended them. Why does it offend them? Do they have a good historical rationale? Was it used as a pejorative against their race 150 years ago? Doesn't matter; what matters is that it offends them, and I am content to not use words that offend the person I am speaking to.

Here's your sign. Go stand over there with the crowd of people that are demanding reparations for slavery which ended 150 years ago.

Acknowledging that whites have a historical advantage isn't the same as demanding reparations.

Here's your sign.

- Dan G

I'm not sure anyone will make money off the change. That's an angle I've never heard discussed.

seems to me it would sure cost someone some money!
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

Iago

Hey paleskins!

(Dum dum DUUUUUM)

WHITE PRIVILEGE!!!!

I wonder if those who do not believe whites have an advantage in this country really are willing to ignore those historical facts. My family arrived here in the very early colonial era and some did well and others did not.
Many of them arrived as indentured servants like Augustine Warner did to 1628 Jamestown. Another arrives in Port Tobacco MD in 1660 after having been bought by an English gentleman in Barbados. He was one of the thousands of Irish women and children who were "transported" to the Indies based solely on their religion and the fact they were Irish. He survived his indenture and when he died in 1714 he willed his worldly possessions which included about 1500 acres of tobacco plantations as well as several of his own slaves to his wife till she would pass from this earth then they would be passed to his numerous children.

The laws were written differently even in the earliest days of the colonies that treated the first nation peoples who were here and survived the diseases that Europeans had brought with them. The ill treatment extended to other less desirable races. That difference persisted well into the 20th century and was a huge roadblock to those wishing to just pull themselves up with nonexistent bootstraps. The playing field may have been leveled somewhat during my lifetime and I have seen improvements... but it is still out there... no matter how some wish to deny that.

Here's your sign. Go stand over there with the crowd of people that are demanding reparations for slavery which ended 150 years ago.

Silicon Valley hires white and asian males because...

wait for it

THEY HAVE THE SKILLSET!!!!!

OH MY GOD!!!

CAN THAT BE TRUE!?!?!?

Oh no, that can't be the truth. There must be something else to it!

You want your kids to be successful? Do what the South Koreans do and put a book in their hands instead of a basketball. Smack them in the head and tell them to pull their pants up. Put your cap on straight or don't wear it at all. How the hell do you expect someone to take you seriously dressed like that?

When I was in Uni I spent more hours working than sitting in class because there was no way in hell I was going to call home for money. My Grandparents never went to college; my parents worked their ass off to finish college because they had NO help from anybody. My brother's wife was the first person in her family to get a college degree and she worked even harder.

So, this has really been fun. But if you want to degenerate this discussion back to the mid 1800s you can do it on your own.

Do you have a paypal account??
I would like to send you the money to go purchase a clue.
If you think in any way that I support the reparations that are bandied about by the fringe of our society.. then you are sorely mistaken.

I have a very good skillset because my mother was too poor to pay for me to go to college.. so I traded a few years of my life to spend in service to my country. No one in my direct family had earned a degree although several of my aunts did marry well to men who did. I chose to earn my lot in life on my own.
In my own way I am one of those minorities who were "expected" to achieve less in this society by my own family and was encouraged to conform to their ideas of how my life should be lived.
The fact that you believe that everyone does have the same breaks in this society belies the reality all around you.

Andy9o8

[I'm white (AFAIK), and my entire life I've despised the pejorative use of ethnic slurs; and for whatever reason, I find the word "nigger" (as a pejorative) particularly toxic. I don't tolerate it in my presence; I've been yelled at, ridiculed and come close to getting my ass kicked while taking that stand.

Don't tolerate the use of the word from anyone on anyone not African American?
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

***[I'm white (AFAIK), and my entire life I've despised the pejorative use of ethnic slurs; and for whatever reason, I find the word "nigger" (as a pejorative) particularly toxic. I don't tolerate it in my presence; I've been yelled at, ridiculed and come close to getting my ass kicked while taking that stand.

As I said, "as a pejorative". I thought my meaning was clear; but to clarimify further, nigger used by folks who ain't niggers to insult niggers for being niggers.

Iago

Hey paleskins!

(Dum dum DUUUUUM)

WHITE PRIVILEGE!!!!

wait for it

OH MY GOD!!!

CAN THAT BE TRUE!?!?!?

You want your kids to be successful? Do what the South Koreans do and put a book in their hands instead of a basketball. Smack them in the head and tell them to pull their pants up. Put your cap on straight or don't wear it at all. How the hell do you expect someone to take you seriously dressed like that?

When I was in Uni I spent more hours working than sitting in class because there was no way in hell I was going to call home for money. My Grandparents never went to college; my parents worked their ass off to finish college because they had NO help from anybody. My brother's wife was the first person in her family to get a college degree and she worked even harder.

So, this has really been fun. But if you want to degenerate this discussion back to the mid 1800s you can do it on your own.

If you think in any way that I support the reparations that are bandied about by the fringe of our society.. then you are sorely mistaken.

I have a very good skillset because my mother was too poor to pay for me to go to college.. so I traded a few years of my life to spend in service to my country. No one in my direct family had earned a degree although several of my aunts did marry well to men who did. I chose to earn my lot in life on my own.
In my own way I am one of those minorities who were "expected" to achieve less in this society by my own family and was encouraged to conform to their ideas of how my life should be lived.
The fact that you believe that everyone does have the same breaks in this society belies the reality all around you.

Well, that is very telling. You were expected to achieve less in this society by your own family. And you rose above that and became a really damn fine Engineer. That on its own speaks volumes.

Welcome Amazon! Step over here to the right with the rest of us. The bus is here, it's waiting and the doors are open. Get on board!

Oh, sorry, you're already ahead of the bus a few miles down the road. Oh Yeah! Keep on truckin' girl!

Oh I know I am... BUT I never forget where I came from.. nor do I forget to render assistance to those will ultimately be replacing me when I retire. I work for companies who celebrate and reward people of diverse backgrounds who are willing to develop the skillsets that will move all of us to a better future.

Iago

Hey paleskins!

(Dum dum DUUUUUM)

WHITE PRIVILEGE!!!!

wait for it

OH MY GOD!!!

CAN THAT BE TRUE!?!?!?

Well, that is very telling. You were expected to achieve less in this society by your own family. And you rose above that and became a really damn fine Engineer. That on its own speaks volumes.

Welcome Amazon! Step over here to the right with the rest of us. The bus is here, it's waiting and the doors are open. Get on board!

Oh, sorry, you're already ahead of the bus a few miles down the road. Oh Yeah! Keep on truckin' girl!

Oh I know I am... BUT I never forget where I came from.. nor do I forget to render assistance to those will ultimately be replacing me when I retire. I work for companies who celebrate and reward people of diverse backgrounds who are willing to develop the skillsets that will move all of us to a better future.

Well, there ya go! That's exactly what needs to happen. So why bring the whole 'Diet Racist' thing into this discussion? I don't get offended by hardly anything, but that touched a nerve. If I had privilege because I was a 'whitie' I wouldn't have taken two years to pay off my Visa and ten years to pay off Sallie Mae.

Why????? Because I see the diet types and listen to their bullshit on a daily basis... even in a hotbed of liberalism like the Seattle area. I tend to point it out when I see it or hear it.. just in case they have never obtained a clue. Perhaps at some point they will delve into their memory and remember that not every thinks their crap is funny.

Andy9o8

******[I'm white (AFAIK), and my entire life I've despised the pejorative use of ethnic slurs; and for whatever reason, I find the word "nigger" (as a pejorative) particularly toxic. I don't tolerate it in my presence; I've been yelled at, ridiculed and come close to getting my ass kicked while taking that stand.

As I said, "as a pejorative". I thought my meaning was clear; but to clarimify further, nigger used by folks who ain't niggers to insult niggers for being niggers.

One would think if they found a word offensive, they'd be offended by all that say it, regardless of their DNA. Maybe a more educative vs. inflammatory stance could be taken in cases where it's "their" word. :)

normiss

I'm now placed in a quandary when the few of my buddies that call me negro, nigger, or cracka.
I have those friends, and they do.

It's not inflammatory to me in any way.
Silly, stupid even, but not intolerable.

Those weren't intended as serious pejoratives, just ball-busting "insults" between friends, intended to show friendly familiarity.

I recognize that when the team came into being around 1932, the Redskins name was originally intended as a complimentary comparison to "American Indian" warriors, just like all the other popular "American Indian" team names of the time - certainly anything but a pejorative. But times change, and so do social norms. Time was when "moron", "imbecile", "idiot" and "retard" were accepted terms for what is now commonly referred-to as "developmental delay" within the medical communities of the times. Now, those terms are strictly pejoratives; and any present-day medical professional who used such a term, in earnest, to refer to a patient with developmental delay or mental illness would be way out of line.

Same goes for "Redskins" in present-day context...for the reasons already nutshelled so well by DanG. And as he notes, it's not the same as most other Native American mascot references. I'd be happy to support a hypothetical football team named "the Zulus" as a salute to proud, fierce Zulu warriors. I'd feel much less charitable toward an old team named, say, "The Darkies" retaining that name (and, say, a black jockey statue as a logo) in the present day.

I'm forty plus years old and I cannot recall EVER hearing the term 'Redskin' used outside the context of a sports team. (EDIT: unless you're talking about an old Western movie.)

I think the old Western movies that informed popular American culture are an excellent example. Those were the days before "Little Big Man", when Westerns still had all the white settlers as the besieged good guys, and the Indians as rampaging savages or stupid or both. In those movies, "Redskins" was almost always used as a pejorative. Seriously, you'd think today's pro football team would be embarrassed to keep using that reference given the tenor of the current times, rather than just digging in like stubborn children.

Iago

******I'm now placed in a quandary when the few of my buddies that call me negro, nigger, or cracka.
I have those friends, and they do.

It's not inflammatory to me in any way.
Silly, stupid even, but not intolerable.

Those weren't intended as serious pejoratives, just ball-busting "insults" between friends, intended to show friendly familiarity.

I recognize that when the team came into being around 1932, the Redskins name was originally intended as a complimentary comparison to "American Indian" warriors, just like all the other popular "American Indian" team names of the time - certainly anything but a pejorative. But times change, and so do social norms. Time was when "moron", "imbecile", "idiot" and "retard" were accepted terms for what is now commonly referred-to as "developmental delay" within the medical communities of the times. Now, those terms are strictly pejoratives; and any present-day medical professional who used such a term, in earnest, to refer to a patient with developmental delay or mental illness would be way out of line.

Same goes for "Redskins" in present-day context...for the reasons already nutshelled so well by DanG. And as he notes, it's not the same as most other Native American mascot references. I'd be happy to support a hypothetical football team named "the Zulus" as a salute to proud, fierce Zulu warriors. I'd feel much less charitable toward an old team named, say, "The Darkies" retaining that name (and, say, a black jockey statue as a logo) in the present day.

Now, I'm forty plus years old and I cannot recall EVER hearing the term 'Redskin' used outside the context of a sports team. (EDIT: unless you're talking about an old Western movie.) I really don't know what 'present day' context people are talking about here. When I hear 'Redskin' I think ripped-guy-with-a-axe-ready-to-take-your-head-off.

Don't mess with that Mofo.

I remember hearing it when I first came to the northwest in 1972. there were other wonderful names for the first nation peoples here as well especially during the fish wars of the 1970's like salmon suckers or salmon N1@@37s.
I kept my 32' cruiser at Neah Bay during the whale fiascos a few years ago... when some fun ones came along for the makah tribe.
Here let me help you with some others. http://rsdb.org/race/native_americans

Andy9o8

One would think if they found a word offensive, they'd be offended by all that say it, regardless of their DNA.

You really want to hang your argument on that? OK.

Do you not see the double standard? A word deemed derogatory describing a DNA type is only so when used by those not of that DNA type.

Let's try a different DNA type. Most people are offended by the word cunt. Most women do not use it at all.

Fag or faggot OTOH, is turning into a double standard.

The point being made here is that a DNA type can choose what, if any words, they deem offensive describing them. Once that is done, they should also no longer use them.