CanuckInUSA

July 28th, 1914

July 28th, 1914 ... does this date mean anything to you? I've sat on the side line all day wondering if anyone would say anything about the significance of the 100 year anniversary of this date. But nada, nothing.

Lest we Forget? The day when an isolated crisis turned into a global conflict. Judging from the lack of coverage from the consensus mainstream media, it appears that many have forgotten.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Fair enough.

But at least there has been a fair bit of background interest in this year as the 100 year anniversary of WWI. I think a relatively high number of new books have been published on the conflict. The BBC has done some TV specials, but in the UK they were more involved in the war than this side of the pond.

Even at least one of my local Canadian newspapers has done a couple articles.

I can't even recall, without looking it up, which particular day the 28th is. I think Austria-Hungary declaring war on Servia (Serbia). The whole approach to war was such an escalating mess that I think few over here remember a particular date, as various countries mobilized or declared war. The dates are poorly remembered over here unlike say Dec 7 for Americans or June 22 for Russians.

WWI does still have a large and direct influence on the world as it is today. Sort of a European civil war with a 2nd part 20+ years later, setting in motion the rise of some extreme governments, removal of monarchies, pulling apart of empires, and eventually after part 2, the discrediting of colonialism worldwide.

I would not say it was forgotten entirely. I did see a couple articles on yahoo.
But sadly yes I would say it has gone pretty much unnoticed by media.
Now that I said that somebody will come in with fifty articles posted on it.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

pchapman

I can't even recall, without looking it up, which particular day the 28th is. I think Austria-Hungary declaring war on Serbia (Serbia).

Correct, it was on this day that the Austrian-Hungarian empire declared war on Serbia and it just snowballed from there.

pchapman

The BBC has done some TV specials, but in the UK they were more involved in the war than this side of the pond.

Yes Britain and France were much more involved, but don't forget your Canadian history mate. Canada punched above it's weight sending a large contingent of soldiers to the war. Of course people were naive on all sides of this war, the way it was portrayed that it was going to be a quick and heroic war.

In 1964, the BBC produced a series of documentaries about the war. Here is the YouTube entry point into this 26 part documentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHm7fNDDY9Y
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_War_%28documentary%29

I watched it a few years ago and it definitely takes a time commitment to get through all 26 episodes. But it has to be the most exhaustive and detailed account (at least from the British point of view) of the war ever produced.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Indeed, the Canadian contribution was fairly significant for its population.

Didn't know that old series (which would still have veteran interviews) was on youtube.

As you may know, the BBC also had a 10 part series in 2003 called The First World War, based on the Hew Strachan history book, that was repeated in 2014. Its on torrents and I believe also all on youtube.

'night!

JerryBaumchen

Hi Canuck,

lack of coverage from the consensus mainstream media

NBC News did a segment on it this evening.

JerryBaumchen

I saw several segments too. Morning and evening news.

It will be the first of many of the 100th year anniversaries of millions dying in so many battles. The scale of the dying in the Century of War is still with us. The events of the opening battles set the stage for even the current events we are experiencing right now.[:/]

http://www.biblio.com/blog/2014/07/germany-digitizes-700000-world-war-documents/?utm_source=Complete+List&utm_campaign=3171f4c384-Rare_Finds+10+7-29-14&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c63007520b-3171f4c384-50542801
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

RonD1120

WWI was the war to end all wars. Epic fail, ergo no interest.

WWI would be better remembered if it wasn't completely outclassed by the destruction and scale of that conflict from 1939-1945. Add in that there are (likely) no living survivors of the first one.