normiss

Redskins!

"Here are some other politically correct issues to consider: I agree with our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.
Let’s ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians.
If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin colour, then we also need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It’s offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged.
We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.

The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates . Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers---well that goes without saying . . . Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing congress loves . . .

As a die hard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers."

As I've said before, I have no problem with the KC Chiefs, or the Atlanta Braves, or any name that actually refers to the great, warriorlike qualities of Native Americans.

Redskins refers only to the color of their skin. It's not the same.

There's a difference between a team called the Samurais, and a team called the Slopes.

- Dan G

DanG

As I've said before, I have no problem with the KC Chiefs, or the Atlanta Braves, or any name that actually refers to the great, warriorlike qualities of Native Americans.

There's a difference between a team called the Samurais, and a team called the Slopes.

So the White Socks are OK with you then.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Iago

***As I've said before, I have no problem with the KC Chiefs, or the Atlanta Braves, or any name that actually refers to the great, warriorlike qualities of Native Americans.

When the Native American braves went on the warpath to kick-ass and take names, they changed out their multicolor ceremonial paint for the red 'war paint.'

Therefore the European colonists referred to the NA's (particularly the braves) as

REDSKINS!

It had nothing to do with their natural skin color as the Native Americans are Caucasian.

Uh that might be what you think at all the east coast pow wows.. but genetically Native Americans... as every geneticist on the planet will tell you are east Asian.
https://www.23andme.com/ancestry/

FFS it's a SPORTS TEAM NAME.

It's not the cure for cancer.

So much tempest in a tea pot. Good god. Get the F over it and change the name. Not doing so just makes them look like stubborn assholes and what's hilarious is all the people who want to defend them look exactly the same and apparently don't realize it.

IT'S F'ING SPORTS TEAM. GET OVER YOURSELVES.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Iago

If it's just a sport's team name, why all the hub-bub to begin with?

Because it is racially offensive. Change it and there will be no issue.

Honestly at this point I'm confused why the league hasn't stepped in and done a Sterling.
quade -

quade

FFS it's a SPORTS TEAM NAME.

It's not the cure for cancer.

So much tempest in a tea pot. Good god. Get the F over it and change the name. Not doing so just makes them look like stubborn assholes and what's hilarious is all the people who want to defend them look exactly the same and apparently don't realize it.

IT'S F'ING SPORTS TEAM. GET OVER YOURSELVES.

SO we should require Johnson and Johnson to rename their company.
Companies that have not one, but two phallic references is no good for anyone and I am offended.

Then there is this: Natural News

Suddenly realizing that U.S. states carry names of Indian tribes, the U.S. government has now ordered 20 U.S. states to change their names to something that won't be "deemed offensive."

The states now ordered to change their names are:

Alabama
Arkansas
North Dakota / South Dakota
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Wisconsin
Wyoming

All 20 states have until December 31st of this year to change their names to something meaningless and bland in order to be offensive to no one.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

normiss

Hell of a precedence to create for trademarks though.

I don't think so. I think the Trademark and Patent Office has always been allowed to reject offensive names. Sure, they were a little slow with this one. I'll grant you that. But I don't think it's unprecedented.
quade -

turtlespeed

SO we should require Johnson and Johnson to rename their company.
Companies that have not one, but two phallic references is no good for anyone and I am offended.

The truth is, you're NOT offended. If you had actually been offended you would have been offended and bitching about it for years. I know this because, well, I've seen your work. :)
No. You are not offended. You're simply making a trollish argument.
quade -

quade

***SO we should require Johnson and Johnson to rename their company.

The truth is, you're NOT offended. If you had actually been offended you would have been offended and bitching about it for years. I know this because, well, I've seen your work. :)
No. You are not offended. You're simply making a trollish argument.

It's satire and sarcasm.

You'd think a moderator could tell the difference.

Even if it is trollish, it's not like you are even remotely clean in that regard.

Iago

*********As I've said before, I have no problem with the KC Chiefs, or the Atlanta Braves, or any name that actually refers to the great, warriorlike qualities of Native Americans.

When the Native American braves went on the warpath to kick-ass and take names, they changed out their multicolor ceremonial paint for the red 'war paint.'

Therefore the European colonists referred to the NA's (particularly the braves) as

REDSKINS!

It had nothing to do with their natural skin color as the Native Americans are Caucasian.

Uh that might be what you think at all the east coast pow wows.. but genetically Native Americans... as every geneticist on the planet will tell you are east Asian.
https://www.23andme.com/ancestry/

Well, OK. They probably had some Asian mixed in there when they came across the land bridge. Along with some slovak, some russian, whatever.

My point is they were not 'red skinned.' It was a decorum/decorative practice that got them nicknamed 'redskins.;

Can I make up my own facts too?
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

turtle speed

...it's not like you are even remotely clean in that regard.

I'll even agree to that. We all do it to some extent. That said, I try to not let the ratio approach 1:1. I think you're extremely close to it.
quade -

So with the pride some folks have about certain names in the central Florida area... I remember someone getting all huffy when the name cracker was used.

How about a rodeo team called the Crackers

( yes I know it came from the sound a whip makes that cowboys in Florida carried)

>If it's just a sport's team name, why all the hub-bub to begin with?

Dude, this is the US, where PARIS HILTON is front page news. Who has done nothing more than be rich, party a lot and date famous guys. Compared to that, changing the name of a sports team is front page all caps news.

On NPR today was an hour long discussion show on the epidemic of type II diabetes and advancements in treating both type I and type II diabetes. I was probably one of ten people in San Diego who heard it while I drove around. That news just doesn't sell.

Amazon

So with the pride some folks have about certain names in the central Florida area... I remember someone getting all huffy when the name cracker was used.

How about a rodeo team called the Crackers

Naw, Too white. Black cowboys would not like.:)

( yes I know it came from the sound a whip makes that cowboys in Florida carried)