promise5

What's everyone's opinion on convicted and registered sex offenders being TI's?

Coreece

Many people only hear about sexual assault on tv or in the paper, but they never get to feel it...this movie will make you feel it.

I know I promised to stop commenting on this but I'm afraid I do have a bit more to say.

I'm 48 years old and I've been hearing about these issues from women since I was 16 years old. Women have been "making me feel it" for over three decades. I think that I'm aware of what it feels like at this point. I've heard of that scene in that movie but actually viewing it would be a trigger for me as well that would do nothing to increase my understanding of sexual assault at this stage in my life.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I am so sorry you were put through things like that. Survivors truly don't want to have anyone "feel" any part of what they've gone through. But just to have patience in their healing process. I suppose some that don't heal as much as others mistakenly take that a route that they think will help but only hurts others and themselves. I'm truly sorry.

Life is an amazing thing and healing from anything frees us to experience it to the fullest. Including skydiving!!! :-)
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

skygypsie

The other alternative would be AFF or S/L if a victim of sexual assault, was compelled to celebrate their freedom from the assault through skydiving.
There would be no "intimate" attachment or body positioning !

. . . I can see where Grabbing/Holding would be a control issue[:/] And uncomfortable.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

You do make a point "turtlespeed", given the scenario "promise5" shared.

Tandems it's a given, student's are "along for the ride".

AFF & S/L jumps....

Those 15-20 minutes packed in during the climb to

altitude, the 10 seconds with instructors in close

proximity "grabbing/holding" a student during freefall, who

is already uncomfortable turning over control & at wave off

on their own...could make for situations for others on the

load & themselves :(

"if your head is not in, don't jump until it is"...

even if it means riding the plane down...

better yet WAIT until you know you are 100% ready !!!

skygypsie

You do make a point "turtlespeed", given the scenario "promise5" shared.

Tandems it's a given, student's are "along for the ride".

AFF & S/L jumps....

Those 15-20 minutes packed in during the climb to

altitude, the 10 seconds with instructors in close

proximity "grabbing/holding" a student during freefall, who

is already uncomfortable turning over control & at wave off

on their own...could make for situations for others on the

load & themselves :(

"if your head is not in, don't jump until it is"...

even if it means riding the plane down...

better yet WAIT until you know you are 100% ready !!!

OK - I see your point, but why should someone be singled out because of what someone else did to them?

I used to do video for AFF and Tandem . . . A LOT of the students needed that little extra push out the door. Are you saying that they should not be encouraged anymore, or just the ones that have experienced sexual assault?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Assuming the USPA did take on the policy you're suggesting, there is still no guarantee that a tandem student is going to have a wholesome, nourishing experience at the dz. If someone is looking to have a particular experience at the dz (aside from simply jumping out of a plane), it would be a good idea to research the potential dz's and perhaps get recommendations from others who have jumped there. It might even be possible to reserve a tandem jump with a particular instructor.

I think this holds true whether registered sex offenders are barred from being TI's or not.

I initially responded based on "promise 5" post # 347 of the thread, where she goes into to specific detail of the mind set of a survivor of sexual assault goes through whether riding on a bus, train, plane....

My 2nd response was an alternative choice as someone "promise5" again describes in post # 347, who desires to celebrate their freedom as a victim through a skydive.

My 3rd reply was in response to yours, as I assumed you were being serious & based your comment on "promise5" post 347, as well ( by referencing terms: turn over control, uncomfortable).

I thought you were serious, as sexual assault is a serious issue.

Of course I would NEVER single any one individual suffering from any issue, nor not support anyone wanting to skydive.

My husband has close to 4000 jumps. 2000 of those as a TI, 1000 AFFI & combo of shooting vids & fun jumps.

I have over 10,000 tandem packs.

Skydiving is how we make a living.

In order to do that, soliciting & promoting skydiving...keeping in mind SAFETY 1st FOR ALL, is required.

However, given the detailed scenario "promise5" describes can you in all good affirmation, feel that INDIVIDUAL is quite ready to do a skydive ?

And by the way....I GET IT !!!!!!!!!
just found no point playing 'damsel in distress' role going through life...

It was sad to see the thread get off track because it's such an important issue.

I would like to open further discussion.
Opinions on: A carefully constructed letter being sent to DZO's making them aware of and asking if they would be open to checking their TI's etc. for registers sex offenders and then making the decision to hire them or not.
Thoughts ??
Though this still needs to go before the USPA. Well that's my opinion anyway.
Believe me I tried.

promise5

Thoughts ??

Then you should probably see that it does. I mean YOU, personally. There is no law stopping you from going to a USPA BoD meeting and having the issue talked about.

The question becomes, just how strongly do you feel about it?
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You might want to consider researching the amount of lawsuits against the registries and the effects of the registry and how those are being challenged.
As if sexual abuse wasn't a hot enough issue....I'm not sure I would want that risk to my business. From either side for that matter. Tough issue to be sure.

promise5

It was sad to see the thread get off track because it's such an important issue.

I would like to open further discussion.
Opinions on: A carefully constructed letter being sent to DZO's making them aware of and asking if they would be open to checking their TI's etc. for registers sex offenders and then making the decision to hire them or not.
Thoughts ??

Have there been any issues that you know of with TI's that are convicted and registered sex offenders??
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

promise5

I guess I would ask you how it is a witch hunt?

Not targeting a single individual

A witch hunt is not the targeting of a single individual.

A witch hunt is the general drumming up of moral panic over a group you insist is a threat or an enemy. It carries a negative connotation because evidence brought against individuals in the course of a so-called witchhunt to show that they are a threat is shakey, and the person doing the drumming will attempt to distract from that fact by simply reiterating the severity / nature of the overall threat.

You've already dismissed attempts in this thread to point out why using the list is a shakey proposition and you've attempted to refocus the discussion on the severity / nature of the threat and away from the individuals who would be caught up in this. It's a pretty textbook witchhunt.

I disagree. By switching to the DZO's it then allows for them to do their own research and then if they choose make a case by case decision on wether to hire someone. Doesn't that then lessen the likelihood of someone that is unjustly on the list to be effected.
I'm curious how many that are unjustly on the list because they streaked or peed in public are in fact TI's?

Maybe you're thinking that even asking the DZ owners is to much ?
Believe me I tried.