Amazon

Child Labor in our Third World Region

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/05/16/republicans-bring-child-labor-tobacco-farms-south.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+politicususa%2FfJAl+%28Politicus+USA+%29

Murica.... welcome back to the gilded age of child labor..

Over the past three years Republicans have intimated that as part of their never-ending anti-regulatory crusade, long-standing child labor laws should be abolished to give corporations a dispensable and cheap labor force loosely resembling slave labor the South seceded and waged a Civil War to protect. Although they have not yet succeeded in eliminating child labor laws, an international rights group released a report that should inform Americans what Republicans have in store for America’s children if they are successful. Since Republicans have kept the people distracted with phony scandals, it was left to Human Rights Watch (HRW) to push the federal government to take steps to protect children working on tobacco farms in states such as North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Virginia

The HRW report revealed that children, as young as 7 years old, are working long hours under hazardous conditions in tobacco fields harvesting nicotine and pesticide-laced tobacco leaves and they are demanding the government take action to eliminate the practice and for cigarette makers to push for safety on farms from which they buy tobacco. Since the tobacco industry profits from young children working in fields instead of in classrooms, there is no chance the industry will do much more than feign disgust and ignorance and task Republicans to find another distraction.

The gilded age is coming back... I guess humanity did not learn those lessons after all.

wayneflorida

There ought to be a Gulag Guantanamo for people like that.

This is 'Murica!

(Until Guantanamo closes, I don't think Americans exactly have the moral high ground to make Gulag jokes.)
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My first job was when i was 12 (edit to add as so many would assume wrongly. My first job was in the US), i think that qualifies as child labor, i was happy to have my job and grateful that someone would allow me to better my situation and take care of my self.

Yes it would have been awesome not to HAVE to work but not everyone is born in to such luxuries.

Not saying kids should be working in coal mines as they did before just understand that for some children work is needed and the only way to better your life.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

Darius11

My first job was when i was 12 (edit to add as so many would assume wrongly. My first job was in the US), i think that qualifies as child labor, i was happy to have my job and grateful that someone would allow me to better my situation and take care of my self.

Yes it would have been awesome not to HAVE to work but not everyone is born in to such luxuries.

Not saying kids should be working in coal mines as they did before just understand that for some children work is needed and the only way to better your life.

I agree, picking crops at the age of 7 is always a proven character builder, compulsory child education has always been over rated. Since the implantation of child labor laws in the early 1900's, this country has been in a steady nose dive.

Issue like child labor are always best sorted out by private industry.

Just as I thought. From the report itself:
http://m.hrw.org/node/125315/section/6

the parents of most children interviewed for this report were living in the US without authorization

Yet another reason to fix the illegal immigration issue.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

Yet another reason to fix the illegal immigration issue.

Agreed!

Let's start by heavily prosecuting companies that exploit undocumented workers. This would help fix two issues simultaneously; immigration and unemployment.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Yet another reason to fix the illegal immigration issue.

Agreed!

Let's start by heavily prosecuting companies that exploit undocumented workers. This would help fix two issues simultaneously; immigration and unemployment.

As long as the "exploited" illegals are also deported, I agree.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Darius11

Did your job at 12 expose you to toxic chemicals?

The pesticides that are used on tobacco are pretty toxic to people too.
The nicotine in the tobacco is also a poison. It is absorbed through the skin when the fresh leaves are handled without good gloves.
The kids regularly exhibit typical symptoms of nicotine poisoning.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A little snip from the article...

Republicans have yearned to abolish child labor laws since they were enacted decades ago because lacking the ability to force indentured servitude on people of color, especially in the former Confederacy, the next best thing is enslaving children as young as seven who have no redress except for an international organization such as Human Rights Watch exposing the hideous practice.

Obviously this is the reason for what is going on. Clearly the folks who wrote this article have no interest in anything other than helping these children.

chutem

Obviously this is the reason for what is going on. Clearly the folks who wrote this article have no interest in anything other than helping these children.

The only ones concerned about helping the children are the those in the HRW who published the report, not the writer of this article.

Rmuse is just another biased partisan loudmouth opinion columnist who doesn't even have the balls to use his real name.
http://www.politicususa.com/about-us

The only purpose of just about every one of his biased articles is to divide the country and smear republicans. That's all he really cares about, not the the children.

From Article:

Although they have not yet succeeded in eliminating child labor laws, an international rights group released a report that should inform Americans what Republicans have in store for America’s children if they are successful.

The report from HRW says absolutely nothing about republicans...

From article:

Since Republicans have kept the people distracted with phony scandals, it was left to Human Rights Watch (HRW) to push the federal government to take steps to protect children working on tobacco farms...

Ya, all those cunning republicans paralyzed all those dopey democrats from action by pulling the wool right over their shifty google eyes...give me a break.

This article is shit.

The important thing here is the HRW report and what the federal government is going to do about it.
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

quade

***Yet another reason to fix the illegal immigration issue.

Agreed!

This is what i have been saying for years fine and jail the people doing the Illegal hiring. No jobs here no need to be here unless you are legal.

I live in an area where Landscaping is Big business (i had written proposals for Millions for people redoing their yard) Almost every one i work with with very few exceptions is Latino.

They work their ass off and get paid well in my opinion (13-17 $ an hr aint to bad right?) But the real money is made by the owners they use the illegals because they don;t bitch if they don;t get lunch or insurance. Most didn't speak English or know any of what they are entitled too.

I always here the rednecks here bitch about them and they never liked my replay about punishing the people doing the hiring? I wonder why. It makes sense.

wolfriverjoe

***My first job was when i was 12 (edit to add as so many would assume wrongly. My first job was in the US), i think that qualifies as child labor, i was happy to have my job and grateful that someone would allow me to better my situation and take care of my self.

Did your job at 12 expose you to toxic chemicals?

The pesticides that are used on tobacco are pretty toxic to people too.
The nicotine in the tobacco is also a poison. It is absorbed through the skin when the fresh leaves are handled without good gloves.
The kids regularly exhibit typical symptoms of nicotine poisoning.

Not that i know off i did use the saw, paint sand and use a bunch of stuff i couldn;t tell you if they were bad for me or not. I was a carpenters helper, painted, mowed lawns, washed cars, fuck even sold BB guns and Nintendo to the kids at school. Imagine now days if i brought a BB gun in to my 6 grade class LOL or worst a Peanut butter sandwich, no wonder we have so many useless kids.