ChrisD

How are opinion and qualifications related?

"You are a small child, without a degree or any experience, so what you have to say isn't worth listening too."
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

ChrisD

I am actually sincerely interested in where this goes.

It depends on the matter being discussed. Not all subjects are equal. Some opinions are, in fact, allowed and perfectly valid without any qualifications whatsoever.

If a person makes the statement, "I do not like broccoli." It doesn't matter a single bit whether or not the person is a gourmet chief or 5-year-old child.

A purely subjective statement requires nothing.

The more objective the statement purports to be, the more qualified it is, the more trustworthy it becomes. If you wanted to learn to skydive, a person who simply picked up the FAA regulations might say it's just fine making your first skydive solo at night and technically he'd be legally correct. However, you might want a more qualified opinion from somebody who has actually gone through some training.

A purely factual statement should not require qualifications, since the facts can be confirmed as true or shown false elsewhere. The statement, "Water freezes at 32 degrees Fahrenheit," doesn't exactly require a degree in physics.

The potential consequences of the opinion also matter. If somebody says that you need brain surgery to remove a tumor, not only does he need to be qualified, you'll probably want a second and third opinion as well from someone you deem as highly qualified.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Opinions are fine. Trying to pass those opinions off as fact is not fine.

Anyone can have and express an opinion. But when they lack the experience and background to make sound opinions, and yet still try to pass those opinions off as fact, then they are dangerous.

For example, lets say a guy did a tandem in 2012. Lets say he had an opinion of how the harness felt. Well that opinion would be valid. But if that same person had an opinion the Instructors job on a tandem - His opinion would not be worth much if anything.

normiss

He's sad that people don't take him seriously here.
;)
Due to a singular tandem.

Dude, you are free to think what you will, But I have more than one tandem.

C

It really doesn't matter does it?

No one is interested in the message as much as roasting the victim. What wee are running into here is the fact that there is a stereotype that most skydivers are more educated. But what has happened over the last few years is that because of economic pressures and the solution was and continues to be Tandems to bail out underperforming Drop zones, the people that work, if you can call it work, don't have a lot going on in their lives. I am not saying that they are anything this or that I'm just stating a fact that Many, not all have little going for them in their lives. Making a living by giving tandem rides is all they have and when you confront some of their biases they actually don't understand some of the more complexities of skydiving and they just react. The reactions I am getting are not unexpected. There are many examples of this throughout history and in many human endeavors, it's kind of sad actually and I feel for many of these individuals that believe they have "outted" me or some of the other ignorant phrases that they are using at the moment.

I can and at some point have pointed out that because of the promise of Dropzone.com many are not utilizing this forum to report anonymously some of the issues that plague skydiving. You can easily see that in our small community the witch hunt that ensues to enforce a common opinion, and this collective opinion doesn't support fun jumpers!

But fun jumpers are the life blood of this sport.

I want to point out to the many naysayers that it has not gone unnoticed that the argument of protecting newbies from "bad" information is once again being used, but if anyone wanted to amass some of the comments from the many supposed "EXPERT" s here, you will find thousands of examples of some really shitty advice. So this really begs the question about really defining what we mean who is and who isn't qualified to give advice.

To those of you that know me personally, I can imagine the embarrassment of coming to my support at the moment, rest assured as we have spoken about many times I really don't give a shit about the messenger as opposed to the message, the increased coverage of many of these hard to understand topics is most welcome.

Additionally I first viewed some of the efforts to drag me down as humorous, but at this point I only have compassion for them. And for the poor slob that many think is my solo tandem. :S

Students especially have been victimized by regional politics and the business aspect of skydiving. The tandem subsidy issue has created a climate where students are not viewed with much other than as additional source of income and treated like cattle. And the many individuals that don't support their local established drop zone by participating in multiple outside tandem areas like skyride are actually devastating long established drop zones.

I have serious issues with, a really nice person, like Tom when he undercuts long standing drop zones by starting up his own businesses within a local area for the sole purpose of hurting the established dz's that need the money to stay afloat and then showing up here and at the USPA. This is happening all across the country and their presence here is huge. Their sole objective is to create derision and confusion so that they may in fact operate outside of the USPA and governmental control. This is and will devastate the smaller drop zone. This is just one controversial subject where I need the anonymity to fight this trend! Many of you are unaware of the individuals here on DZ.com that you purportedly think of as authoritative in fact have very biased agendas!

I have serious issues with the many private individuals that sell gear undercutting those that have brick and mortar stores and a much higher overhead. They continue to act in the best interest of themselves as compared with assisting newbies with gear purchases. In other words they advance their own agenda to an audience that is least able to make gear decisions, but are the biggest market. If I had my way newbies wouldn't be able to purchase gear, because of the fact that they just are the least qualified to make these important decisions. But when this point is raised the many gear sellers all point out it's a free country and each and everyone for themselves. If your a student reading this then be warned that because of this issue some individuals here have an agenda and they could give a rats ass if you make a good decision or not!

The USPA is a member driven organization but when the vast majority here refuse to participate because of their agendas then our organization is subject to the voice of economics only because most don't give a shit what happens anyways. This has resulted in a really dismal public showing of what the USPA is really all about. There has been a dearth of appearances at the many AOPA airport open houses, the EAA doesn't bother with us at all anymore, the USPA hasn't had anyone at the many, many public events that promote general aviation across the globe. Demos to promote skydiving and local parades are at an all time low, participation at the many FAA public forums is non-existent as well as no lobbying, or perhaps better said almost no lobbying in Washington, etc, etc.

And a whole host of other controversial issues that because of alliances that are not going to get discussed here....
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Chris, Chris, I'm trying to help you here. Look at your post #1. Now look at your post #8. "Communication" might be defined as something more than an ephemeral one-liner that nobody understands, and less than a 3-page treatise that nobody will bother to read. Balance in all things, Grasshopper.

To those of you that know me personally

Who knows Chris personnally here? PM me if you want to remain anonymous.

I'm 100% positive my inbox will be empty tonight...
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I have attached a sample of just one example of what I used to do. If that helps.

Don't take offense, it isn't directed at anyone here and it was a starting point for communications research....

Why?

Because anything new is painful and frequently misunderstood. But in the long run everyone, including me learns something. I mean , otherwise what's the point? Everyone keeps going round and round in the same rut, we all are learning something at this point?

C

(I know this is on dating, but it applies to any online endeavor.)

While you are or were on this path; some authors on "Human Interaction" that may have helped to tie this together might have been:

Luft, Joseph (1969). "Of Human Interaction," Palo Alto, CA: National Press
Kelly, Anita E. and McKillop, Kevin J. (1996), "Consequences of Revealing Personal Secrets."

One of my favorite books is, "Theories of Human Communication" by Stephen Littlejohn.

...Should you decide to pursue the matter again.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

normiss

So...because you consider yourself an expert in on-line dating, you expect us to accept your knowledge on skydiving?

Looks like he considers himself an expert at pretending to be an expert so he can study the reaction of people (whom he either pretends or actually believes he knows more than on the subject) to the vast knowledge of his expertness.

No, but I would hope that some will be able to see my concern about some of the processes people use when they and about how, communication in this modern age. Many people here are "stuck." If you can view what I am trying to say rather objectively and leave out the personal attacks some might actually learn a better and more aware way of communicating.

I appreciate your attempts to point out how style and tone can affect the content of a message. I would hope that some can start to see that information content and what is and what isn't listened too is something that is a quality of the person delivering the message.

In other words if people believe that a person is credible and or popular, what they have to say is more believable, even when the more popular persons information is bullshit. If you take the time to go view my past posts I have been very careful to only quote the SIM, IRM, and other purportedly experienced people that have served skydiving for many decades. Everything I have said here, except for some personal and sarcastic banter has come from prior searches! And I have done this to raise awareness.

C

ChrisD

No, but I would hope that some will be able to see my concern about some of the processes people use when they and about how, communication in this modern age. Many people here are "stuck." If you can view what I am trying to say rather objectively and leave out the personal attacks some might actually learn a better and more aware way of communicating.

I appreciate your attempts to point out how style and tone can affect the content of a message. I would hope that some can start to see that information content and what is and what isn't listened too is something that is a quality of the person delivering the message.

In other words if people believe that a person is credible and or popular, what they have to say is more believable, even when the more popular persons information is bullshit. If you take the time to go view my past posts I have been very careful to only quote the SIM, IRM, and other purportedly experienced people that have served skydiving for many decades. Everything I have said here, except for some personal and sarcastic banter has come from prior searches! And I have done this to raise awareness.

C

I rest my case.

You are an admitted TROLL.

chutem

***No, but I would hope that some will be able to see my concern about some of the processes people use when they and about how, communication in this modern age. Many people here are "stuck." If you can view what I am trying to say rather objectively and leave out the personal attacks some might actually learn a better and more aware way of communicating.

C

I rest my case.

You are an admitted TROLL.

I may be some kind of psycho son of a bitch, but I am trying to get some of you to think. Not everyone. You can't please everyone. But I can force an issue so that the actual process is visible to any or for anyone that cares too look. This is different than being a Troll.

I wish no one here any ill will or am I intentionally attempting to flame or incite anyone. I have set the stage, provided examples, and let some of you do the rest. Some of you are actually getting "IT."

If you care to go thru some of my past posts, you will see that; one of my points, that the next generation of skydiving safety is going to be in changing how we think. Never said it was going to be easy....

C

normiss

So...because you consider yourself an expert in on-line dating, you expect us to accept your knowledge on skydiving?

I didn't see that he considered himself an expert. It was just an example that he chose to use.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

normiss

What's this "we" white man?

Dude, I'm getting the message, I can be pretty thick sometimes. If you want to help me learn how to not sound so experty, at this point, I'm all ears.

And will welcome the help??
C

chutem

More sanctimonious BS.

The really sad thing is that you actually believe yourself. :S

ya, I probably deserved that, but no I am serious

C

If you want to help me then I am all ears, seriously.