kallend

About bloody time...

jakee

As far as I can find, all the accounts agree on all the major points of her life, military accomplishments, trial and death, and were better documented than most anything else during that period, that is why I said she was so amazing.

Ah, yes the major points. And in between the major points is everything else. On this subject I'll just say that when Twain was writing the fashion in the field of history was to get definite answers about absolutely everything. Now it's recognised that if that's the priority then a lot of other potentially usefull information tends to get bulldozed when it doesn't fit. (BTW, if the trial and military records are so straightforward why did it take Twain 12 years to get his answers?)

The internet was a lot slower at the end of the 19th century.

Jan

Funny how you disrespect the most amazing woman in history

Oh.. I dunno. I personally think that Jeanne D'Arc was kick-ass amazing. My middle name is Jeanne D'Arc so I feel extraordinarily qualified to have that opinion [:/]

But this woman may have been more amazing

http://badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=27450552861

What argument can you present to make Jeanne's contribution to her society greater than Nancy Wake's?
Owned by Remi #?

labrys

Funny how you disrespect the most amazing woman in history

Oh.. I dunno. I personally think that Jeanne D'Arc was kick-ass amazing. My middle name is Jeanne D'Arc so I feel extraordinarily qualified to have that opinion [:/]

But this woman may have been more amazing

http://badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=27450552861

What argument can you present to make Jeanne's contribution to her society greater than Nancy Wake's?

There is no argument, Jeanne was an illiterate 16-year-old peasant girl with no military training but she commanded armies and designed military campains, Nancy was a soldier of the line that fought in battles, Jeanne personally set in motion events that changed the balance of power in Europe, Nancy was a one soldier among millions who was brave and bad-ass and really F-ing lethal, Jeanne restored a king to his throne, Nancy killed a bunch of bad guys, Jeanne did what she did without personally killing anybody.

There's more but forget comparisons, what a totally totally amazing truly bad-ass woman Nancy Wakes is, maybe she is the reason men don't want women fighting in wars, women are too bad-ass, I never heard of her before, thanks so much for sharing! Maybe you are a good egg after all, LOL.

Jan

"Freedom is the only thing worth living for. While I was doing that work,
I used to think it didn't matter if I died, because without freedom there was no point in living" ~Nancy Wake

Do you think she would have voted for Obama?
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

RonD1120

I used to think it didn't matter if I died, because without freedom there was no point in living" ~Nancy Wake

A silly, Obama-obsessed non-sequitur, but I'll bite.

She couldn't have voted for Obama in 2008 because she was an Australian and British citizen. Nor in 2012, because by that year she was dead.
But she was active in Australian politics, running for office for the Liberal party, whose ideology seems to be (though I'd defer to our Aussie friends here) a hybrid of classical liberalism and libertarianism.

So: probably Yes.

Andy9o8

A silly, Obama-obsessed non-sequitur, but I'll bite.

She couldn't have voted for Obama in 2008 because she was an Australian and British citizen. Nor in 2012, because by that year she was dead.
But she was active in Australian politics, running for office for the Liberal party, whose ideology seems to be (though I'd defer to our Aussie friends here) a hybrid of classical liberalism and libertarianism.

Thanks for your reply.
Look for the shiny things of God revealed by the Holy Spirit. They only last for an instant but it is a Holy Instant. Let your soul absorb them.

There's more but forget comparisons, what a totally totally amazing truly bad-ass woman Nancy Wakes is, maybe she is the reason men don't want women fighting in wars, women are too bad-ass, I never heard of her before, thanks so much for sharing! Maybe you are a good egg after all, LOL.

Agreed )
Owned by Remi #?

Andy9o8

Sorry Andy, but no - The Australian Liberal Party is as conservative as they get... if you want to identify as liberal in the ideological sense over here you have to specify you're a 'small-l' liberal.
You are playing chicken with a planet - you can't dodge and planets don't blink. Act accordingly.

Andy9o8

Ah, thanks for the info. My quick source was the Wikipedia article List of political parties in Australia. I was looking at the chart; and I now realize I was looking at the row for the Liberal Democratic Party.

I would still think that in many places in the world.. our liberals would come in somewhere on their conservative side.

Our Conservatives != most countries conservatives.

would still think that in many places in the world.. our liberals would come in somewhere on their conservative side.

Certainly true in Canada.

Don

GeorgiaDon

would still think that in many places in the world.. our liberals would come in somewhere on their conservative side.

Certainly true in Canada.

Don

Ditto UK and NZ. Australia - not so much.
Never try to eat more than you can lift